LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 336 users in the forums

Return Man Ace Sanders S. Carolina To replace Ginn

From what i understand, he has been catching alot of Passes from Kaep.
The 49ers have enough picks to make a move if they have someone targeted. Most NFL teams have little depth and less than quality starters which plays into Baalke and Coach trading for future picks in next years draft. One thing that comes to mind is the Pats have had multiple picks in many drafts and have been stuck in neutral for years. With this current team do you look for one or two blue chips to get you over the top or draft quantity?
Ace Sanders, 5' 8", 176.

Really One solid hit to the sternum from an NFL safely and that experiment is over.
I can't see us drafting a guy that high who's biggest contribution will be returning punts. In the third round, we can still get a starter for next year or a starter in future years, and a guy that could be a key backup immediately.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Don't be surprise if Harbaugh pluck some of ol' Petey's players from USC... You know, just to make the NFL's new MOST HATED RIVALRY even more interesting..

Heck, i wouldnt be surprise either of Carroll drafts the kid (TE) from Stanford either..
Originally posted by cgida:
Just the name Robert Woods remind me of another woods we drafted. That scares me.

We already have one in Jenkins. At least as far as I can see.
I likes.

[ Edited by Genius1310 on Feb 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Ace Sanders, 5' 8", 176.

Really One solid hit to the sternum from an NFL safely and that experiment is over.

That type of thinking is likely why we passed on a playmaker like Desean Jackson and selected Kentwan Balmer instead. There are a number of WRs in that general range that have had good/great success recently in the passing game, running gadget plays and particularly in special teams (which is where Sanders would contribute):

Desean Jackson, 5'9", 169 (combine numbers)
Dexter McCluster, 5'8", 170
Trindon Holliday, 5'5", 170
Andrew Hawkins, 5'7", 180
TY Hilton, 5'9", 183
Wes Welker, 5'9", 185
Steve Smith, 5'9", 185

He'll need to add some weight and probably play at about 180-185ish, but that shouldn't be hard to do after a year or two. You definitely don't want a whole team of smurfs, and Sanders will likely not be a high pick, but there's definitely a place for him in the NFL.
Originally posted by Butter:
I'm not against this kid, but not in the 4th or higher. His lateral quickness is really his biggest asset. At a 4.5 forty time, he's not the burner that one would hope for at that diminutive height. I'm afraid that players like Sanders were successful in the college ranks, but will be surprised and mitigated when facing the speed of the NFL.

I'd be concerned that he'd be Brandon Williams II. Looked great on Youtube highlight video's, but looked like he was running in cement in NFL games.

How do you know his 40 time? Combine didn't start yet.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Ace has been? In ATL? Do you have a source? That's awesome if true, id love to have this guy

Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Butter:
I'm not against this kid, but not in the 4th or higher. His lateral quickness is really his biggest asset. At a 4.5 forty time, he's not the burner that one would hope for at that diminutive height. I'm afraid that players like Sanders were successful in the college ranks, but will be surprised and mitigated when facing the speed of the NFL.

I'd be concerned that he'd be Brandon Williams II. Looked great on Youtube highlight video's, but looked like he was running in cement in NFL games.

How do you know his 40 time? Combine didn't start yet.

And, perspective is important here. Like BW, Sanders is probably going to be a role player...core special teamer (punt/kick returns, gunner on punts), rotational slot WR and possible gadget-play guy (fly sweeps, reverses, stuff like that). Unlike the front-line starters, they only need to make a handful of plays per game to provide solid value. Anything they give beyond that is icing on the cake.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Ace has been? In ATL? Do you have a source? That's awesome if true, id love to have this guy

I dont have a source, but from what i understand they are both at the same training facility, and i heard rumors that they had some 7 on 7 drills going and Ace and Kaep were killing it.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Ace Sanders, 5' 8", 176.

That type of thinking is likely why we passed on a playmaker like Desean Jackson and selected Kentwan Balmer instead. There are a number of WRs in that general range that have had good/great success recently in the passing game, running gadget plays and particularly in special teams (which is where Sanders would contribute):

Desean Jackson, 5'9", 169 (combine numbers)
Dexter McCluster, 5'8", 170
Trindon Holliday, 5'5", 170
Andrew Hawkins, 5'7", 180
TY Hilton, 5'9", 183
Wes Welker, 5'9", 185
Steve Smith, 5'9", 185

He'll need to add some weight and probably play at about 180-185ish, but that shouldn't be hard to do after a year or two. You definitely don't want a whole team of smurfs, and Sanders will likely not be a high pick, but there's definitely a place for him in the NFL.

Ace is short, but he doesnt seem fragile. He seems built pretty solid, and seems to ave the bdy type that can add muscle pretty easily. He also doesnt go down very easy. He has a real solid center of gravity.
Well it is clear that we need someone more agrressive than Ginn and if Ace Sanders is the man for us I hope we pick him. Maybe by next season LMJ might be ready to catch punts. But however they solve the problem it needs to be solved.
I dont have a source, but from what i understand they are both at the same training facility, and i heard rumors that they had some 7 on 7 drills going and Ace and Kaep were killing it.

Thanks man that's awesome!
Share 49ersWebzone