There are 54 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Phoenix49ers 2013 Mock Draft V4.0

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Stopped caring after "Replacing Soap"

LOL....am I going to have to make a "Soap is overrated" thread too?

Its amazing how many people are so far gone on the Kool-Aid that you bring up the idea of upgrading a position and people freak out and lose their minds. Soap was one of the worst rated NT's in football this year, way down the list, and yet some people act like everything is kosher. This team needs an upgrade at NT, that much is clear.

You've said this a few times now. Is there a ranking that I've missed that states this, or is this your personal assessment? Don't mistake my question for trying to nut-hug Soap, I'm just curious as to why you're claiming that.

Its amazing how many people are so far gone on the Kool-Aid that you bring up the idea of upgrading a position and people freak out and lose their minds. Soap was one of the worst rated NT's in football this year, way down the list, and yet some people act like everything is kosher. This team needs an upgrade at NT, that much is clear.

What Kool-Aid do you speak of???? and make a "Soap is overrated" thread.....I bet you'll be highly dissapointed....
I think Gavin Escobar is going to move way up.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

You've said this a few times now. Is there a ranking that I've missed that states this, or is this your personal assessment? Don't mistake my question for trying to nut-hug Soap, I'm just curious as to why you're claiming that.

I'd like to see that as well. Been trying to find the site.
Like the Jones pick.

PFF has him ranked 82nd of 85 defensive tackles in the NFL based on performance/statistics/overall impact.

Last year his rating was significantly better, his performance has dropped off in almost every way this season, not sure if he has had some continuing injury issues or if old age is catching up, but he has not been effective this season.

Virtually every other member of the 49ers defense ranks in the Top 10 or 20 for their individual performance, so its pretty easy to look at what can be the most improved overall.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM ]

PFF has him ranked 82nd of 85 defensive tackles in the NFL based on performance/statistics/overall impact.

Last year his rating was significantly better, his performance has dropped off in almost every way this season, not sure if he has had some continuing injury issues or if old age is catching up, but he has not been effective this season.

Link please? Isnt that a fantasy football site?
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jan 28, 2013 at 8:17 PM ]
Phoenix.. will you please send me the link for that site. I want to see how the Niners players are ranked individually at every position and how they go about ranking certain posiitons. Would love to see how they rank a NT and interior OL. Thanks.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Phoenix.. will you please send me the link for that site. I want to see how the Niners players are ranked individually at every position and how they go about ranking certain posiitons. Would love to see how they rank a NT and interior OL. Thanks.

Here is their grading process.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

Here are their 2012 rankings for offensive lines across the NFL.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM ]

Here is their grading process.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

Here are their 2012 rankings for offensive lines across the NFL.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/

Maybe I am missing something but I still dont see anything which shows Soap to be the 82nd DT out of 85. What I am looking for is the list of player rankings and the logic behind those rankings.
Maybe I am missing something but I still dont see anything which shows Soap to be the 82nd DT out of 85. What I am looking for is the list of player rankings and the logic behind those rankings.

You need to subscribe to get access to the full rankings. I'll copy and paste a couple later on.

EDIT-Here's an article that lists a variety of rankings including Soap's.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/who-threw-deep-ball-better-smith-or-kaepernick

--The quarterbacks had a 119.5 rating when targeting wide receiver Michael Crabtree, tied for fourth-highest among NFL wideouts with 100-plus targets.

--Crabtree's 2.56 yards per pass route was third among WRs with 100-plus targets, and better than Calvin Johnson's 2.55 yards. Crabtree's 3.74 yards per route run in the slot was best by far of any other wide receiver. And his 543 yards after the catch was fourth among all WRs.

--Mario Manningham had 42 receptions with only one drop.

--Delanie Walker's drop rate of 30 percent (21 catches, nine drops) was worst of any running back, wide receiver or tight end who had 30 or more targets. But Walker did have the second-best run blocking grade for any tight end.

--On run plays between Staley and Iupati, the 49ers averaged 6.1 yards an attempt (268 yards on 44 carries).

--Staley finished as PFF's highest rated tackle, based greatly on his run-blocking grade, which was significantly better than any other tackle in the NFL.

--Right tackle Anthony Davis finished second behind Staley in run-blocking among all NFL tackles. And, overall, he was the third-rated right tackle in the league.

--Defensive tackle Justin Smith graded as the fifth-best 3-4 lineman, and he rated second in run-stop percentage behind Houston's J.J. Watt.

--Isaac Sopopaga ranked 82nd out of 85 defensive tackle/nose tackles.

--Ahmad Brooks ranked fifth among 3-4 outside linebackers.

--Willis was the top-rated inside linebacker. He was second against the run, and graded out as the best inside linebacker in pass coverage.

--Tarell Brown led the tackling efficiency stats at cornerback. He missed only one tackle all season.

--Chris Culliver allowed a reception every 13.7 snaps in coverage, fifth-best among all cornerbacks.

--Of the 21 corners who had 160 or more snaps in coverage in the slot, Carlos Rogers ranked fourth allowing a reception every 11.2 slot coverage snaps. He ranked fifth allowing 0.90 yards per snap in slot coverage.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM ]
Like the Jones pick too, think he would be effective right away on passing downs rotating in with either DE.

Also like the TE, C and CB. I think these positions get addressed by players very much like the ones you picked.

Wow, that's pretty atrocious. I can't reconcile how great of a run defense we have (and how historically great our run defense was last year, including Soap's major contributions) with having one of the worst NTs in the game. Either the rankings are not looking at the entire picture, or the guys around Soap are absolute studs and they're making up for his sorry arse in ways that are super-human.

Wow, that's pretty atrocious. I can't reconcile how great of a run defense we have (and how historically great our run defense was last year, including Soap's major contributions) with having one of the worst NTs in the game. Either the rankings are not looking at the entire picture, or the guys around Soap are absolute studs and they're making up for his sorry arse in ways that are super-human.

Have to agree. Thanks Phoenix for sending that by the way. However, it would still be nice to see how they actually measure the effectiveness of a NT. I mean, it isnt going to be for sacks. You would think it would be about stopping the run and the Niners do that well.
Have to agree. Thanks Phoenix for sending that by the way. However, it would still be nice to see how they actually measure the effectiveness of a NT. I mean, it isnt going to be for sacks. You would think it would be about stopping the run and the Niners do that well.

They go well beyond just looking at sacks or tackles, this is like football Sabermetrics. They get pretty in-depth, for a defensive lineman they adjust points based on the quality of the point.....IE......shutting down Beanie Wells vs shutting down Adrian Peterson, yards per carry when on the field vs when off, tackles completed after a 4 or 5 yard carry vs tackles completed after 1 or 2 yards....and so on.

Sopoaga by ranked as the worst 49ers defensive lineman against the run.

Justin Smith-22.9(one of the best in the NFL)
Ray McDonald-11.8
Soap- -5.6(one of the worst in the NFL)
RJF 5.7
Dobbs 4.6

LB's
Willis- 15.8
Bowman 12.5
Smith - 9.2
Brooks 9.5

Here are Soap's combined results for 2012 and 2011

2012- -9.6 overall, -4.5 vs the run, -4.0 pass rush

2011- 4.5 overall, 4.0 vs the run, -2.0 pass rush

These numbers only confirm what is obvious to those watching, Soap's performance has gone downhill drastically this season, he is not stopping the run at the same rate, and his overall effectiveness has left much to be desired. This is one factor in the decrease of effectiveness of the 49ers run defense, still one of the very best in football, but not nearly as dominating as they were last season.

Additionally, when comparing the team numbers between 2011 and 2012, 49ers suffered a decrease in overall team pass rush and pressure generated, it becomes even more glaring if you pull Aldon from the equation.