LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 330 users in the forums

My First 2013 Mock

Rd 1 - Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
Big body, great motor, immediate starter. We need a ton of help on the defensive line with Sopoaga becoming a free agent and J. Smith turning 34 before entering the final year of his contract. Williams also has the versatility and athleticism to play on both sides of the ball, something Harbaugh and Co. love, with experience at fullback in the goal line package at Alabama

Rd 2 - Margus Hunt, DE, Southern Methodist
Big, big, big guy. Again, possible immediate impact, but would do well with a year behind J. Smith to gain some know-how. Tremendous wingspan to knock down passes and block kicks, something he set a record doing at Southern Methodist. Perhaps the best thing about Hunt is that he is one of only a few true DEs that would fit a 3-4 in this class. Along with 8 sacks this season, which is one area we need to improve along our front 3, this physical specimen could be something special for the Niners for years to come.

Rd 3 - Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
One bad thing about Rogers: he was suspended indefinitely from the University of Tennessee for positive drug tests. At Tennessee, he led the SEC in receptions and receiving yardage as a sophomore, and had 9 touchdowns, all while being the focal point of SEC defenses, with Justin Hunter out with an ACL injury and Tyler Bray being in and out of games (this was before the Cordarrelle Patterson addition as well). This year at Tech he put up a 300-yard receiving game and had 10 touchdowns on the season. At 6'3" and 205 lbs, he is a tremendous red zone jump ball threat, which we lack, and has unbelievable hands, with a bunch of one-handed catches on record. If he keeps his head right, he could eventually be a deadly weapon and a steal, even in the third round.

Rd 3 - David Amerson, CB, North Carolina State
Clearly we need help at corner. Rogers is only getting older and Brown and Culliver lack consistency. Amerson had an excellent year in 2011 when he had 13 interceptions and would have probably been a first rounder had he been eligible. He saw his numbers decrease, but perhaps not from a lack of ability, but a lack of targets. Whatever the reason, he has dropped to a late second-early third round grade and would serve us well if still available. At 6'3", Amerson is a big-bodied, physical CB with a lot of upside. I see him fitting into the 49ers' system very well.

Rd 3 - Travis Frederick, C/G, Wisconsin
Wisconsin is known for one thing: producing effective linemen. The Big 10 does this on both sides of the ball year in and year out, and Frederick is no different. First team All-Big 10 and first team Academic All-Big 10 with the ability to play guard or center makes Frederick of great value to San Francisco.

Rd 4 - Bacarri Rambo, FS, Georgia
Rambo is one of my favorite players in this year's draft. He plays extremely physical and likes to put a big hit on receivers with every opportunity. He has great ball-hawking ability, but perhaps is a bit too anxious to lay down a big hit. My favorite thing about Rambo is that he will be available in the middle rounds of this year's draft, but still has the potential to be an effective starter in the NFL.

Rd 5 - Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida
No secret. We need a kicker. Akers has struggled this season, setting a record for missed FGs in a season. Not only that, he's also 38 years old. Sturgis is my favorite kicker of the 2013 draft and, with few other needs, we have the opportuniy to grab him in the 5th, before most teams are thinking about their special teams. Named a finalist for the Lou Groza award twice, made 70 FGs for Florida in his career, including 8 from longer than 50 yards, connected on 79.5% of his field goals throughout his career. Sturgis is a great prospect who could be the answer to our troubled kicking situation.

Rd 5 - Zeke Motta, FS, Notre Dame
Motta is another physical safety in this year's draft. With Whitner getting older and Goldson a free agent, we could nab Motta late in the draft. If nothing else, he could be a great special teams player with his willingness to hit the ball carrier.

Rd 6 - Xavier Nixon, OT, Florida
We finally get that backup right tackle for Anthony Davis. Not much value, just completing a roster.

Rd 6 - Sanders Commings, CB, Georgia
Commings is an intriguing corner from Georgia. He has a big frame and plays a very physical in his coverage. He sometimes allows separation, but makes up for it with great awareness when the ball is in the air. Once again, our secondary needs some work, and Commings has the ability to be a solid nickel corner in coverage. Good speed, but lacks strong tackling ability against running backs. Impressive press coverage, though.

Rd 7 - Braxston Cave, C, Notre Dame
Cave was strong for the Irish this year. Because we have 14 picks, we can double up in the interior line, especially with Jonathan Goodwin being 34 and on the verge of retirement and entering the final year of his contract.

Rd 7 - Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford
Harbaugh gets a chance to nab one of his Stanford products at a position which might need some depth, with Delanie Walker being a free agent after this year. Great run blocking ability and pass catching ability, just simply overshadowed by Ertz this year.

Rd 7 - Jordan Rogers, QB, Vanderbilt
We missed the first one, so why not grab the second. Jordan hasn't shown the same ability Aaron did, but I still think this wouldn't be a wasted pick this late in the draft. Tolzien is our backup after Smith likely leaves this offseason and I think Rogers could steal the second spot on the roster at the QB position.

Rd 7 - Tyrone Goard, WR, Eastern Kentucky
Big guy at 6'4". No named receiver from a tiny school could turn out well or not, but worth an experiment. Clips from EKU's games show the quarterback simply throwing the ball up in the air and Goard going up to get it, especially in the end zone and one-on-one deep balls. I like his hands and his attitude. He even threw a huge block when his teammate was running into the endzone. He's exciting to watch. I wouldn't mind having him on our side of the football when the season rolls around.
This would be a great draft. Problem is... WIlliams will probably be gone before Niners pick in rd 1, Hunt wont last until the end of the 2nd, Frederick and Rambo should go higher than the Niners picks in rds 3 and 4, and its highly doubtful the Niners will get a 3rd rd comp pick.
[ Edited by loyalniner on Jan 22, 2013 at 6:33 PM ]
I agree that Hunt will be gone before the end of the 2nd after the combine, but he's still projected mid to late 2nd by several sources and in several mocks. After he works out, though, he'll be gone in the first IMO. Also, a third round compensatory is what's expected for San Francsico per Matt Maiocco from CSNBayArea.com. That's what I was going by. I knew it was a stretch with Rambo, so I went with Motta as well.
Nice mock
Frederick is exactly what we think he is. A solid, G/C from a oline factory. Being a Badger fan I'll vouch for him. Highly doubt he is around late in the third. Your fella in the 2nd intrigues the crap outta me. Are we allowed to have 14 picks? Isn't the limit 13?
Frederick is exactly what we think he is. A solid, G/C from a oline factory. Being a Badger fan I'll vouch for him. Highly doubt he is around late in the third. Your fella in the 2nd intrigues the crap outta me. Are we allowed to have 14 picks? Isn't the limit 13?
Nice mock. I do think we go NT/DT first. I really like the Rambo pick. I actually have us drafting him in my coming mock draft. But I doubt he'll be available anywhere in the 4th. I see him dropping no later than mid-3rd rounder, for all the reason you stated. I will say that I think we target a CB earlier, also for all the reasons you stated. I really think we are gonna use our 2nd pick on a CB. In any event, because we have 14 picks you can bet that some will get traded for earlier talent and value. But a good mock indeed.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Jan 22, 2013 at 11:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
This would be a great draft. Problem is... WIlliams will probably be gone before Niners pick in rd 1, Hunt wont last until the end of the 2nd, Frederick and Rambo should go higher than the Niners picks in rds 3 and 4, and its highly doubtful the Niners will get a 3rd rd comp pick.

A 3rd round comp isn't out of the question
I think we should pass on Sanders Commings in rd 6 and take a flyer on Tyrann Matheiu, he can also be a kick/punt returner in the case we give Teddy Ginn das boot

Would love this draft but as others have said...doubt these guys will be there for our picks. Meets most, if not all, needs. I particularly like the OC position being addressed early as that will create some unbelievable competition in training camp for interior spots. They shouldn't need L Davis and can go with youth. Kilgore is a key as he is either developing as the back up or may have difficulty making the roster next year.

Wish I could be a fly on the wall of the brain-trust room during the draft! That would tell you what they think of all their back ups and where they may need to draft.
Wisconsin is known for one thing: producing effective linemen

Are you aware of the history of recent Wisconsin OL's drafted into the NFL? Just saying.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Quote:
Wisconsin is known for one thing: producing effective linemen

Are you aware of the history of recent Wisconsin OL's drafted into the NFL? Just saying.

I laughed aloud at this response!
Share 49ersWebzone