There are 157 users in the forums

Is anyone else skeptical of drafting an NT high?

I am. Schematically, the NT doesn't take as many snaps in our offense...part of this is because we have two all pro inside linebackers.

As a result, its much more important to get an end/tackle that can play the 5 technique and the 3 technique well...like Justin smith (and RJF, at a lower level).

I think the idea of drafting a mammoth 0 tech. guy like Wilfork or Raji is sort of a fantasy...we don't need it.

I want a guy that can start at DE if need be and can play at NT for 50% of the snaps. You re sign RJF as well...then we are set.

I'm my view, shariff Floyd is the ideal choice. Same size as RJF, but 10 lbs heavier. He's a tweener.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/sharrif-floyd?id=2540150
You mean like when Soap goes out and we go with a 2-4-5 lineup right?

I agree with you...DE is much more important. Especially with how a 3 wide set is almost a base formation now days.
Wasn't that more of a product of us playing pass happy offenses this season? New Orleans, Green Bay, New England, the Giants (although they do seem to run the ball more), and Detroit? Your argument makes sense bases on how the NFL is as a whole, but considering how we are in the black and blue division (NFC West) facing big, powerful backs like Marshawn Lynch and Steven Jackson, we need a guy that can control the line of scrimmage, hold the point of attack, and make it impossible to run up the middle.

I do agree that DE would still be the bigger need, but based on our weaknesses against the big power backs, we need that dominant NT as well. With some clever draft maneuvering, we should try to get both.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
You mean like when Soap goes out and we go with a 2-4-5 lineup right?

I agree with you...DE is much more important. Especially with how a 3 wide set is almost a base formation now days.

Yes. But what I Also believe is that the presence of Willis and bowman allows us to have an undersized NT...actually just a 5 tech DE playing the nose.

I want 4 to 5 5 technique guys that rotate in and out. We have that right now because Sopoaga can't really play the zero.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Wasn't that more of a product of us playing pass happy offenses this season? New Orleans, Green Bay, New England, the Giants (although they do seem to run the ball more), and Detroit? Your argument makes sense bases on how the NFL is as a whole, but considering how we are in the black and blue division (NFC West) facing big, powerful backs like Marshawn Lynch and Steven Jackson, we need a guy that can control the line of scrimmage, hold the point of attack, and make it impossible to run up the middle.

I do agree that DE would still be the bigger need, but based on our weaknesses against the big power backs, we need that dominant NT as well. With some clever draft maneuvering, we should try to get both.

I'm not opposed to getting a big body in the later rounds
As a result of all this, my priority order goes like this:

1. 5 technique DE
2. WR
3. Safety
4. TE/H-back
5. OG/C
6. NT
7. CB
8. Swing OT
9. Kicker
10. QB
Part of the reason we get teams in passing situations is because we stop the run with a NT in there. I like Soap but if he leaves we need to upgrade the position from RJF who is valuable as a guy to play DE and NT. Not sure he is a full time NT for this defense.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Part of the reason we get teams in passing situations is because we stop the run with a NT in there. I like Soap but if he leaves we need to upgrade the position from RJF who is valuable as a guy to play DE and NT. Not sure he is a full time NT for this defense.

Baalke doesn't want to pay for a true NT, a zero tech guy like vince wilfork.

we are better off with tweeners to can play NT when necessary
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Baalke doesn't want to pay for a true NT, a zero tech guy like vince wilfork.

we are better off with tweeners to can play NT when necessary

Have to agree with that. Whilst I think he would be persuaded to draft a NT if one was there at good value he would mostly like be looking at 3-4 DEs which is our main need.
I am skeptical of drafting high for NT. There was Reggie McGrew the tub of goo and Quit Man Balmer, who looked like the Michelin man, but everybody ran all over him.

• buck
  • Veteran
If I am not mistaken, the three oldest starters on our defense are:
Justin Smith 31
Carlos Rogers 31
Isaac Sopoaga 30.

Chris Culliver is the eventual replacement for Carlos Rogers.

As far as we know, the team does not have clear replacements for Justin Smith and Issac Sopoaga, and we need those replacements.

I have seen no evidence (or do not remember seeing any evidence) that Baalke is not willing to pay for a nose tackle.
Someone might have that evidence. If so, a link would be nice.

I do think that we should draft a DE and a NT with two of the four picks we have in the first two days of the draft.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Watch we take a Safety in the 1st round.
I hate issac and have wanted him replaced since we draft him... Justin though that's some big shoes to replace. And rodgers i think cul is the future for him, and possible draftie for 3rd cb unless we keep cox who i like
nickbradley, I agree that Baalke isn't going to overpay for a NT but don't think for a minute he wouldn't love a true 3-4 NT. A guy like Wilfork,Raji,Casey Hampton,and the Baltimore NT demand double teams much like Justin Smith and it really clogs up the middle. A true NT takes up 2 blockers and frees pass rushers and linebackers to clean up. If a true really good NT is available at the 49ers pick in the first round I have no problem pulling the trigger.
Kolohe, I don't see us taking a safety in the first round unless they're just absolutely in love with Matt Elam from Florida. I fully expect at the least Goldson will be frachised again.
Share 49ersWebzone