There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Quarterback Position

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
My prediction is we stick with Kaep and Tolz, and then bring in an UDFA to sit on the Psquad. I dont think we will bring in any vets, or use a draft pick on one. IMO we are set at 1 and 2.

Its Kaep and Tolz, and then someone for practice squad fodder.

A Qb to develop is always a must, I mean we have 13 picks in the draft....why not??

Oh i definately think one will be brought in to sit on the PS, I just think Harbaugh will pull someone out of the UDFA pile. He anted Tolz, but then he went to SD and when released to stick on the PS we snagged him. I think he brings in another UDFA. I highy doubt we spend a draft pick on one but thats just me.

I dont expect us to keep more than Kaep and Tolz on the active roster, and to spend a mid round pick on a QB means we would probably have to keep them on the active, or risk them being snatched away by another team when trying to put them onto the PS squad, which is likely to happen, simply based on Harbaughs track record with QB's. Some QB needy team would snatch a midround pick that we drafted to stick on our PS in a heartbeat. Harbaugh and Baalkie have a good track record when it comes to QB's and other teams kno that, so essentially it would be a wasted pick unless we keep them on the active roster, which i dont see us doing.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Jan 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM ]
Originally posted by jonr422000:
I say bring back Johnson, he's cheap knows the system and Harb. Johnson has NFL starting experience that is needed.

Johnson isaint coming back, and doubt any veteran out there will be picked up.

Johnson was brought in for one reason, insurance in case Tolz couldnt hack it. Tolz beat him out in camp and he was released. Tolz now has another year under his belt. If Johnson couldnt beat him out this offseason as the #3, there is no way he can do it this offseason as the #2. Tolz is the backup. I doubt we carry more than two QB's on the active roster.
My prediction is we stick with Kaep and Tolz, and then bring in an UDFA to sit on the Psquad. I dont think we will bring in any vets, or use a draft pick on one. IMO we are set at 1 and 2.

A Qb to develop is always a must, I mean we have 13 picks in the draft....why not??

Oh i definately think one will be brought in to sit on the PS, I just think Harbaugh will pull someone out of the UDFA pile. He anted Tolz, but then he went to SD and when released to stick on the PS we snagged him. I think he brings in another UDFA. I highy doubt we spend a draft pick on one but thats just me.

I dont expect us to keep more than Kaep and Tolz on the active roster, and to spend a mid round pick on a QB means we would probably have to keep them on the active, or risk them being snatched away by another team when trying to put them onto the PS squad, which is likely to happen, simply based on Harbaughs track record with QB's. Some QB needy team would snatch a midround pick that we drafted to stick on our PS in a heartbeat. Harbaugh and Baalkie have a good track record when it comes to QB's and other teams kno that, so essentially it would be a wasted pick unless we keep them on the active roster, which i dont see us doing.

You're confusing "active" roster with the 53-man roster. Harbaugh has always carried 3 QBs on the 53-man roster (and those players are safe from poaching by other teams; unlike the PS). Not carrying three on the roster is a risky proposition and not done by sound teams.

I agree with you; JJohnson will not be back (even though Theder gave him high marks and said that he was better than Alex; so you never know for sure). Anyway JJ is on some other team's roster for now so he is not available.

Whether the Niners draft a QB will depend on their board when the time comes for their pick. I would venture that they would not be averse to such a pick, particularly in the later rounds, if there's someone there who they like, a raw athletic type, for example. They will need another QB for their 3-QB complement and a developmental guy who shows promise would be how I'm guessing that Harbaugh would lean. That's the smart coaching approach, I feel. See New England.
Originally posted by jonr422000:
I say bring back Johnson, he's cheap knows the system and Harb. Johnson has NFL starting experience that is needed.

This. Also find a late round quarterback to fit the offense to develop.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

You're confusing "active" roster with the 53-man roster. Harbaugh has always carried 3 QBs on the 53-man roster (and those players are safe from poaching by other teams; unlike the PS). Not carrying three on the roster is a risky proposition and not done by sound teams.

I agree with you; JJohnson will not be back (even though Theder gave him high marks and said that he was better than Alex; so you never know for sure). Anyway JJ is on some other team's roster for now so he is not available.

Whether the Niners draft a QB will depend on their board when the time comes for their pick. I would venture that they would not be averse to such a pick, particularly in the later rounds, if there's someone there who they like, a raw athletic type, for example. They will need another QB for their 3-QB complement and a developmental guy who shows promise would be how I'm guessing that Harbaugh would lean. That's the smart coaching approach, I feel. See New England.

Im not confusing anything. I understand the differance between the gameday active roster and the 53 man roster. I diferentiate the two by refering to one as the gameday active roster, and one as the active roster.

I dont beleive we carry three this year. We only carried three in the past because we were developing both Kaep and Tolz to take ver as 1 and two when the enevitable release of Alex Smith happened.

I dont really buy into the three Qb's on the active roster theory. The only teams that need to do that are teams that arnt set at QB. Lets face it, any team that gets down to a third QB is in deep s**t regardless, and its just as easy to promote someone from the PS. I would like to see an active roster spot go to someone that may have more flexibility to be a possible gameday active.

I stick by my theory that we only carry two on the 53.
Im not confusing anything. I understand the differance between the gameday active roster and the 53 man roster. I diferentiate the two by refering to one as the gameday active roster, and one as the active roster.

I dont beleive we carry three this year. We only carried three in the past because we were developing both Kaep and Tolz to take ver as 1 and two when the enevitable release of Alex Smith happened.

I dont really buy into the three Qb's on the active roster theory. The only teams that need to do that are teams that arnt set at QB. Lets face it, any team that gets down to a third QB is in deep s**t regardless, and its just as easy to promote someone from the PS. I would like to see an active roster spot go to someone that may have more flexibility to be a possible gameday active.

I stick by my theory that we only carry two on the 53.

OK . . . you might be right. We shall see. No drafting a mid/late round QB according to you then?

If that's the case, they will have to at least carry a QB on the practice squad. In all probability a very late round pick or an undrafted free agent. Otherwise an injury to their starter would cause problems . . . bringing in someone who is completely unfamiliar with their system.

I would think that an important safeguard would be to have someone on the roster with CKs skillset, but raw. Maybe that could be accomplished with someone on the PS, but it's riskier. We'll see.