There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Quarterback Position

Unless Alex restructures and decides to stick around, then we have an obvious need for a developmental or free agent quarterback...do you guys see us picking up Josh Johnson again or drafting someone? Who? Looks like Geno Smith may be available at the end of the 1st round, but unlikely that we spend a 1stdevelopmental on a quarterback...
Josh Johnson is UFA in 2013 after being only on a NFL roster for the last few games for the Cleveland Browns. I would say sign Johnson to a 3 year vet league minimum deal with no signing bonus. If he makes the team, great, if not, no cost to the salary cap.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I say draft another young QB to develop. We already have Scott Tolzien, sure hes a question mark but hes been in the system for a couple years now. And would much rather have him backing up Kaepernick instead of some washed up vet. Maybe a QB in the 4th-7th rounds.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I say draft another young QB to develop. We already have Scott Tolzien, sure hes a question mark but hes been in the system for a couple years now. And would much rather have him backing up Kaepernick instead of some washed up vet. Maybe a QB in the 4th-7th rounds.

This. 4-5th
Originally posted by English:

This. 4-5th

Normally I'd agree with this strategy, but this is a REALLY bad year for QBs. You'll have to get extremely lucky to find a quality developmental prospect in rounds 4-5...probably better off signing a veteran castoff like Josh Johnson. But if we did go with a young prospect, I like Arizona's Matt Scott. Of all the late round developmental QBs, he seems like the best fit to run the Kaepernick version of this offense (pistol formation, zone-read option, vertical threat, etc.).
My prediction is we stick with Kaep and Tolz, and then bring in an UDFA to sit on the Psquad. I dont think we will bring in any vets, or use a draft pick on one. IMO we are set at 1 and 2.

Its Kaep and Tolz, and then someone for practice squad fodder.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
My prediction is we stick with Kaep and Tolz, and then bring in an UDFA to sit on the Psquad. I dont think we will bring in any vets, or use a draft pick on one. IMO we are set at 1 and 2.

Its Kaep and Tolz, and then someone for practice squad fodder.

A Qb to develop is always a must, I mean we have 13 picks in the draft....why not??
Hey guys, I don't really follow/understand NFL contracts that well, would love some clearity.

Pretty sure Kaep's contract was something really really cheap. like 4 million for 5 years or something...? correct me if I'm wrong please.

So, I just can't imagine he's going to make less than a million bucks next year.

Do they restructure in the off season?
Make a new contract?

I know it depends on the next few weeks, but regardless, at this point he's the starter next year and gets paid close to NFL minimum wage.
Originally posted by stillpans4gold:
Hey guys, I don't really follow/understand NFL contracts that well, would love some clearity.

Pretty sure Kaep's contract was something really really cheap. like 4 million for 5 years or something...? correct me if I'm wrong please.

So, I just can't imagine he's going to make less than a million bucks next year.

Do they restructure in the off season?
Make a new contract?

I know it depends on the next few weeks, but regardless, at this point he's the starter next year and gets paid close to NFL minimum wage.

According to the new CBA he can't restructure his contract yet...so he is set to make just a shade under $1 mill next year...
[ Edited by bonafidejonb on Jan 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM ]
draft a Q.B. in the late round 5th or 6th keep the Q.B.s young J.H. is the vet right
I say bring back Johnson, he's cheap knows the system and Harb. Johnson has NFL starting experience that is needed.

This. 4-5th
Why do we put a round to where we should draft a QB? We already are certain to have a crappy pick in regards to picking at the very end of the draft,. why not use that pick on the BPA even if it is a QB/RB/LB or any other strong position? We may be able to get that stud D-lineman in the seventh round like we did with the fullback position (Bruce Miller).
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by glorydayz:

This. 4-5th
Why do we put a round to where we should draft a QB? We already are certain to have a crappy pick in regards to picking at the very end of the draft,. why not use that pick on the BPA even if it is a QB/RB/LB or any other strong position? We may be able to get that stud D-lineman in the seventh round like we did with the fullback position (Bruce Miller).

Because value is put at other positions in rounds 1-4, you can go BPA in rounds 4-7. We have cemented starters and solid back ups at mostly all positions except DL, C, OLB and maybe QB too, but i highly doubt we go QB in the 1st rounds even though I'd love to get Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson or Mike Gleonnon. QB's that should be there when we pick in rounds 4 thru 7 are most likely Alex Carder, Jordan Rodgers, Sean Renfree, James Vandenberg, Brad Sorenson and Matt Scott. I wouldn't mind any of those young QB's.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/mobile/index.php?num=169750
vet experience will be needed, skip QB this year
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home