LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Delanie Walker V2.0

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Chris Harper, WR-Kansas State. Another over-sized, physical receiver, not the fastest guy out there but decent speed.Former quarterback, shows good offensive awareness, not a superb route runner but gets the job done for the most part, reliable downfield blocker. Possesses very good hands.

About 6'0"-6'1", 230-235 pounds.

Well that was very prophetic of you!

Can I get next week's lotto numbers while you're at it?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Because every 6 foot receiver normally weighs about 235 pounds right??? He's got more horizontal size rather than vertical.

This has me curious for someone his height. He's 6'1 and weighs as much as a 6'5 Calvin Johnson. Not sure what he was doing in Seattle.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
You jelly.

No, I like Phoenix's posts and enjoy them
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
lol

I enjoy Phoenix's posts but you guys are laying it on too thick, he has had his misses (just as any regular draft poster has)

Of course he has misses, but he seems to hit bullseyes more than anyone else does.
Phoenix, don't know if you saw my post in the other thread but I asked if you could scout our next reciever for 2014 class
For now I want Brandon Coleman or Jordan Matthews
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Phoenix, don't know if you saw my post in the other thread but I asked if you could scout our next reciever for 2014 class
For now I want Brandon Coleman or Jordan Matthews

It's honestly too early to tell, there's quite a few good prospects but its impossible to tell where some of these guys will fall. My current favorites are Jordan Matthews, Coby Hoffman and Donte Moncrief. If Matthews continues to play the way he did a few days ago, he'll likely move out of the 49ers range, he's very fundamentally sound, a great route runner, very balanced, there's questions about his overall speed, but I don't see that scaring teams off much due to his overall body of work. Moncrief has gotten it done against some of the top defenses in college football, he's got terrific size, very physical., and is a very slick route runner, especially for a guy his size with his frame. Going 6'2", 220, he has the size to handle press coverage and is a highly talented route runner that finds ways to generate separation. Hoffman is a personal favorite of mine, he's one of those guys who isn't the most athletic out there but he busts his ass, has tremendous work ethic. He lacks explosiveness off the line but is a true student of the game, has been improving every season, has pretty good size(6'3", 215), and terrific leaping ability and catching radius. He's prone to drops at times but overall I think he could be a pretty good NFL receiver.

There's a lot of others, we'll just have to see how this season unfolds and how these guys perform.
Actually wouldn't mind if we signed Matt Scott to our PS. Give him a year, bulk him up a bit, needs some work mechanically that can be fixed..

As for Harper didn't look at him before the draft. Looking at him now I am definitely glad we are making him a TE not a WR. I don't see him taking over Celek's job any time soon. Maybe towards the end of the year or even next year but don't see Celek going anywhere for awhile. I see a little bit of Delanie Walker. Walker bigger and stronger, probably a better blocker..similar speed but Harper maybe a little bit faster. Also, he measured 6 1 at the combine but doesn't look like it. Looks like 6 at best. Guess it's because he's always bent and low to the ground. This play here really looks like Walker:

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Actually wouldn't mind if we signed Matt Scott to our PS. Give him a year, bulk him up a bit, needs some work mechanically that can be fixed..

As for Harper didn't look at him before the draft. Looking at him now I am definitely glad we are making him a TE not a WR. I don't see him taking over Celek's job any time soon. Maybe towards the end of the year or even next year but don't see Celek going anywhere for awhile. I see a little bit of Delanie Walker. Walker bigger and stronger, probably a better blocker..similar speed but Harper maybe a little bit faster. Also, he measured 6 1 at the combine but doesn't look like it. Looks like 6 at best. Guess it's because he's always bent and low to the ground. This play here really looks like Walker:

I think Harper may actually be stronger and quicker than Walker was coming out of college. Its tough to say because Delanie skipped out on a bunch of events such as the shuttle and bench-press but Harper was damn impressive overall. Some people look at Harper as slow and plodding, in reality he was ranked the 4th or 5th more athletic WR in the entire draft based on the whole spectrum of attributes. (Taken from a Seahawks blog)

wow, still a pretty good call, Phoenix.

with that being said, i know a lot of people are saying Delanie 2.0, and i can certainly see that happening, Barrows does mention the fact that he's basically got the size of an Anquan Boldin and will be learning from him. i'd take that, too.
I wonder why Seattle cut him. That's a red flag to me. It's pretty unusual for a team to cut bait with a 4th Round pick so early in the process.

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I wonder why Seattle cut him. That's a red flag to me. It's pretty unusual for a team to cut bait with a 4th Round pick so early in the process.

seattle really liked Kearse and Harper is more of an unfinished product at WR that needed developing. he had only played WR for a yr or two, i think, transitioning from RB and QB.
[ Edited by LaMichaelJeff on Sep 3, 2013 at 11:55 AM ]
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
seattle really liked Kearse and Harper is more of an unfinished product at WR that needed developing. he had only played WR for a yr or two, i think, transitioning from RB and QB.

But Seattle would have known that before they took him. Seems weird to invest a 4th Round pick in someone that you know is going to be a project, and then cut him in training camp during his rookie year.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

But Seattle would have known that before they took him. Seems weird to invest a 4th Round pick in someone that you know is going to be a project, and then cut him in training camp during his rookie year.

they probably thought the potential was worth it and that he'd click right away with the playbook during the offseason.
Mississippi State FB/TE/H-back Malcolm Johnson "drew rave reviews from scouts" at Wednesday's pro day, noted TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline.

"The senior, who posted 28 receptions for 380 yards and three scores in 2014, looked terrific catching the ball and had some drawing comparisons to 9-year veteran Delanie Walker," Pauline wrote. The 6-foot-2, 231-pound Johnson spent time at both receiver and tight end as a Bulldog. CBS Sports' Rob Rang wrote over the summer that Johnson "possesses good hands and a knack for the big play."

Rotoworld

Have not seen much of him.
Share 49ersWebzone