There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Iowa49er's mock draft

First mock draft I've ever made; feedback, comments, and criticism all welcome.

Round 1 Jesse Williams NT Alabama

High motor player that demands a double team. Can play the run well and also collapses the pocket well in passing situations. He will add a lot of value to our already stout defense and feel that he would be a good pick as soap is aging and is going to need to be replaced. Williams could come in and start right away and make an impact. Good all around player that is worthy of our first round selection.

Round 2 TRADE Alex Smith and a 4th and a 6th for their 2nd round pick. Andy Reid is going to want an experienced quarterback that he can groom into the starter in a new system in Kansas City and I think we could get a deal done.

SELECT: Jordan Poyer CB Oregon State

I have watched film on many of the top corners that will be in the draft this year and this kid breaks on the ball as well as anybody in the draft. There are bigger bodied corners out there but this kid is an absolute ball hawk that can make plays and also can return kicks and punts. Good hips, can cover the slot or edge reciever. If we draft him I think he becomes a starter in 2 or 3 years and could come in and play the nickel right away. Time to add some more youth to our secondary. I think if we want to get him we have to make this trade with Kansas City in order to do so as he will be climbing up draft boards as the draft nears.

Round 2 Travis Frederick, G/C, Wisconsin

Jonathan Goodwin is aging and is the clear weak link on our offensive line. Excellent center who I think we can snag at the end of the second to fill the void at center. Our offensive line would be pretty stout across the board if we threw him in at center, he is a player that I think can come in right away and make an impact.

Round 3 Da Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech

There is a lot of unknowns at this point with him as he has had some off the field issues and he might not be available at this point in the draft if some team wants to take a risk on him in an earlier round he might not be here, but for now he is a 3rd round pick with A LOT of talent and baggage. Very high ceiling on this kid and if somehow we could him to San Francisco and get his off the field issues cleaned up, opposing teams better look out. Big bodied receiver that is a big time red zone threat.

Round 3 Brandon Jenkins, OLB/DE, Florida State

Torn ACL has hurt his draft stock and could be a HUGE steal if he fully recovers. Have watched some film on this kid, very high motor player that gets after the quarterback. Had 13.5 sacks two years ago and really gets off the ball quick. Good edge rusher that can also play the run and pretty rangy for his position. Can't ever have enough outside linebackers when you play a 34 defense.

Round 3 William Gholston, DE, Michigan State

Big rangy defensive end at 6'7 280 lbs. Has the frame to put on about 10-15 pounds and could be a force as defensive end in our 34 defense. Pretty athletic for his position and can often draw double teams. Wish he would play lower at times but that is nothing that we couldn't fix. Tremendous value at this pick if he falls this far.

Round 4 Traded to Kansas City in Alex Smith trade

Round 5 Zeke Motta, S, Notre Dame

Solid tackler, that I think would give us some solid play on special teams and a little added depth at safety. I think we pay goldson this offseason and draft a safety in the later rounds for some depth and Motta fits the bill.

Round 5 Brad Sorenson, Qb, Southern Utah

Pocket passer with a big arm, could come in and be a solid backup.

Round 6 Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State

We need a young kicker that we can sign long term and be reliable, one of the better kickers in the draft.

Round 6 Traded to Kansas City in Alex Smith trade

Round 7 Rodney Smith, Wr, Florida State

Big tall receiver at 6'6, Potential red zone threat if we use him that way, could win some jump ball situations.

Round 7 Marcus Lattimore, Rb, South Carolina

Could be gone by this point but after two torn ACL's teams will be skeptical to draft him but if he is here in the 7th round I say we go for it cuz hey its the seventh round.

Round 7 Jonathan Meeks, S, Clemson

7th round picks usually have a hard time making the team but a hard nosed player that could maybe crack the roster as a special teamer.

A lot can change between now and draft day but for now this what I think and Go 49ers!
i like it alot! i also think lattimore's stock will fall dramatically...the guy is a beast but too injury prone.
Lattimore wont last that long. someone will risk a flier.

Dont think we will draft a QB either,

I would personally choose two differant WR's that i think will be available at those slots, But overall good mock.
Why do people insist on Travis Frederick? The odds that he plays center at the next level are pretty slim. If you're drafting Frederick, you're looking at replacing Iupati or Boone, not Goodwin.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM ]
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Lattimore wont last that long. someone will risk a flier.

Dont think we will draft a QB either,

I would personally choose two differant WR's that i think will be available at those slots, But overall good mock.

Lattimore is gone by the middle of the 5th round. By letting him rehab for a year, a team could wind up with a Top 10 talent for a far lesser price.
Nice mock
Good Mock but you have three 3rd round picks. 49ers have only their pick and the panthers pick in the 3rd round.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Why do people insist on Travis Frederick? The odds that he plays center at the next level are pretty slim. If you're drafting Frederick, you're looking at replacing Iupati or Boone, not Goodwin.

I continue to disagree.
I like Swope over Rogers...but other than that this draft would rock. Agree with those who think Lattimore goes earlier though. Might have lose someone around the 5th if you want him...still worth it given our ability to sit guys for a year.
Originally posted by Ice49er:
Good Mock but you have three 3rd round picks. 49ers have only their pick and the panthers pick in the 3rd round.

Common assumption is we get a third as compensatory.
Thanks for the feedback guys, I am sure a lot will change between now and draft day.