There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 draft needs

With the need at cornerback I'm thinking either Jordan Poyer from Oregon State in the 2nd round or Desmond Trufant from Washington in the 3rd round. Poyer is a kind of "ball hawk" CB with 7 interceptions at Oregon State in his senior season and Trufant is a great cover man who can break up passes.
Seems like most posts are of about the same opinion. If Baalke has shown anything, he will surprise us. My problem is that in 2012 his picks didn't help this year much - LMJ is helping only because Hunter was hurt; Jenkins has done zero even with injuries. IMHO 1-3 round picks need to help out immediately, not be projects. For that reason, 2012 draft so far was a failure. SO, Baalke, don't get cute this year and pick for NEED:

1. DL needs rotation depth that. Smith has been a 1 man DL, that just isn't reasonable to count on at the NFL level. There are very few JSmiths in the world. So not only do we need a true back-up at DE for Justin, but if the reality is that RJF is more like what you are going to get, then we need to upgrade at NT and LDE to balance if we lose JSmith to age or injury - or even just to keep him fresh with rotation.

2. WR - SIZE, we have needed this for YEARS and it is continually neglected. Floyd, Randal, Jeffrey all became meaningful big body receivers for their teams. Speed wasn't their strength. STRENGTH and size was their strength. Get a receiver for god's sake to compliment the emergence of Crabs.

3. RB - We need Gores replacement - a runner with some thunder. Gore is an amazingly strong inside runner for his size, but it wears him down. (Jewel Hampton is a power back - I think. If the staff believes he is the answer when he is fully healthy, then maybe we don't need a high rounder here. And by the way, Hunter is pretty good between the tackles as well, but not an every down option for that.)

4. OLB - I think we have the depth on the roster, it is just not been healthy this year. So don't think this is a draft priority.

5. CENTER - We need to replace Goodwin. He is the weakest blocker on the OL and defenses know it and are attacking right there. With all the OL draft picks over the last year, you would think one of them, Kilgore, could step up. But if the coaches don't believe he is on the roster, then we need a replacement picked in rounds 1-3.

6. CB - I actually think we are fine here with Brown, Culliver, Rodgers, and Cox. Maybe a late rounder to develop - a bigger body in that case.

7. TE - Tall, basketball type would be ideal. The outlet and soft zone TE type.

With 13 picks, at the bottom of the draft I would load up on DL and RB to find the jewel in the rough in camp.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Seems like most posts are of about the same opinion. If Baalke has shown anything, he will surprise us. My problem is that in 2012 his picks didn't help this year much - LMJ is helping only because Hunter was hurt; Jenkins has done zero even with injuries. IMHO 1-3 round picks need to help out immediately, not be projects. For that reason, 2012 draft so far was a failure. SO, Baalke, don't get cute this year and pick for NEED:

1. DL needs rotation depth that. Smith has been a 1 man DL, that just isn't reasonable to count on at the NFL level. There are very few JSmiths in the world. So not only do we need a true back-up at DE for Justin, but if the reality is that RJF is more like what you are going to get, then we need to upgrade at NT and LDE to balance if we lose JSmith to age or injury - or even just to keep him fresh with rotation.

2. WR - SIZE, we have needed this for YEARS and it is continually neglected. Floyd, Randal, Jeffrey all became meaningful big body receivers for their teams. Speed wasn't their strength. STRENGTH and size was their strength. Get a receiver for god's sake to compliment the emergence of Crabs.

3. RB - We need Gores replacement - a runner with some thunder. Gore is an amazingly strong inside runner for his size, but it wears him down. (Jewel Hampton is a power back - I think. If the staff believes he is the answer when he is fully healthy, then maybe we don't need a high rounder here. And by the way, Hunter is pretty good between the tackles as well, but not an every down option for that.)

4. OLB - I think we have the depth on the roster, it is just not been healthy this year. So don't think this is a draft priority.

5. CENTER - We need to replace Goodwin. He is the weakest blocker on the OL and defenses know it and are attacking right there. With all the OL draft picks over the last year, you would think one of them, Kilgore, could step up. But if the coaches don't believe he is on the roster, then we need a replacement picked in rounds 1-3.

6. CB - I actually think we are fine here with Brown, Culliver, Rodgers, and Cox. Maybe a late rounder to develop - a bigger body in that case.

7. TE - Tall, basketball type would be ideal. The outlet and soft zone TE type.

With 13 picks, at the bottom of the draft I would load up on DL and RB to find the jewel in the rough in camp.

With Kapernick as our QB and the liklihood of Smith being released we will need a QB somewhere in the draft.

I think we will need 2-3 Dlinesmen both to give backup to our current line and to challenge them on a day by day basis. So I would like a NT and two DEs.

We clearly need more depth at OLB so another 1-3 picks here.

We need a starting center and back up at Tackle.

I like Walker at TE but I am also terribly frustrated at his inconsistent catching. I would like to see a big tall TE who can block and catch for us with good hands and who knows where the soft spots are in the zone.

We need tall, strong, WRs who are not afraid to catch the ball. If we can get them with speed as well that would be even nicer.

It would be nice to get a quality Safety and another CB to develop.

Then we also need a Punt Returner and a serious kicker in this years draft.

So that is only about 15 pick between the draft and the UFAs. That is a lot of business to conduct.
It all starts with Sopoaga. If he doesn't re-sign, I think the Niners use a first rounder to draft a space eater. Jesse williams won't be on the board and that is a shame. He'd be our anchor for a decade
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It all starts with Sopoaga. If he doesn't re-sign, I think the Niners use a first rounder to draft a space eater. Jesse williams won't be on the board and that is a shame. He'd be our anchor for a decade

What is your early projection on where Williams could go in the first MD?
I think Goldson is almost sure to return if we are releasing/Alex Smith. Locking up Goldson will give us a lot of flexibility in the first three rounds. I'd like for us to to focus on getting big bodies at NT and DE to allow our LBs to roam free. Clearly Aldon Smith is a different player without Justin Smith in front of him. It's been stated by numerous posters that we need a DE to be Justin Smith's replacement. We also need to draft a dominant NT would also allow us to control the middle of the line which is a must consider we have to deal with guys like Steven Jackson and Marshawn Lynch 4 games out of the year. Besides the decline in turnovers and sack numbers, teams were able to run on us a little more this year. Getting stronger up front will bring our run game dominance (not that we are slouches by any means) to where it was in 2011. I want teams abandoning the run altogether against us.

If we have to do some wheeling and dealing to get higher picks in the 1st and/or 2nd to get that NT and DE, I say do it. Getting two quality players along with the coaching of Tomsula will ensure our D-Line will continue to dominate after falling off a bit in 2012. Hopefully we can stay put and get what we need at 32 :-).

I'd actually like for us to draft one of the top TEs available. I like Delanie Walker and I know he brings a lot to the team. With that said, he can't be our no. 2 receiving TE. Not in this offense. He is not reliable. And considering how many passes get thrown his way, I can only imagine what a Dwayne Allen or Coby Fleener would have done with those opportunities. Zach Ertz or another top TE would be a nice make-up pick. We need a guy that can draw attention off of Vernon Davis.

CB appears to be a need, but I think strengthening the D-line will cause our corners to look a lot better. I'm ok with both Rogers/Brown/Culliver, but it won't hurt us to bring in a corner that could compete for one of those top 3 positions.

One position that is overlooked is tackle. I'd like us to bring in a guy that could backup both tackle positions, although we'd probably be better served filling this need in free agency. As it stands right now, Boone is the backup, which I would be comfortable with if he wasn't already our starting RG.

One needed that I did not expect us to have was at wide receiver. But here we are again, and receiver is a top need. I like our receivers, but in all likelihood, Moss is gone, and Williams and Manningham probably won't be ready at the start of 2013. AJ Jenkins is still an unknown (not a bust). If we do draft a receiver, I prefer a guy that is ready to go and not a project player.

With I believe over 10 picks in the draft, we should fill all of our holes at DE, NT, TE, WR, CB, and OLB. 2013 should shape up to be a pretty exciting draft.
with our first 6 picks, i would like to see

3 DL
1 S
1 CB
1 OLB

I agree with the OP except for a center and a RB

I think Kilgore/Looney are the heir apparent and the James/Hunter are good enough in the backfield.
Originally posted by pete98146:
1. DE
2. OLB
3. NT
4. S
5.WR
6. CB
7. C

switched center and Safety. you could work it either way switching safety around with WR too as well
1) Interior Defensive Line
2) an outside linebacker who can sack Russell Wilson. Brooks just wasn't quick enough.
3) TE, redzone target type of guy
4) a fast slot receiver (if Jenkins is a bust)
5) FS
BPA!
Originally posted by English:
BPA!

Yup!
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
What is your early projection on where Williams could go in the first MD?

I think he is going to go at 15 to the Saints. The saints had the worst run defense in the NFL in 2012, and Sedrick Ellis is done at NO. I expect Williams to crank out 45 reps at the combine, and run right at 5.00. Going to make himself some money that week.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 2, 2013 at 8:11 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

I will highly surprized if Sopoaga does not re-sign with the 49ers.

I am less certain about Dashon Goldson. I feel Goldson will opt for free agency.
Originally posted by buck:
I will highly surprized if Sopoaga does not re-sign with the 49ers.

I am less certain about Dashon Goldson. I feel Goldson will opt for free agency.

I think both look at this as the last chance to chase money and leave the team. I doubt the Niners, who have been pretty stingy the past couple years, throw upper market value dollars at them.
Possible High to Mid Round Picks
DE - I think they see Ricky Jean-Francois as a DE more than a NT. We might re-sign him but he is basically depth. We need someone who can give breathers to Smith and take over for him when he retires. Tukuafu and Dobbs are nice finds and decent backups but aren't pass rushers and won't come close to replacing Smith. I see us drafting at least one DE which means that Tukuafu or Dobbs will probably be gone. Without Justin this D just isn't the same so this guy will have to be top notch in a few years.

#3/4 OLB - Depends on if Haralson gets cut to save money. If he does than we would have Darius Fleming and maybe Cam Johnson. Could use someone else. If Haralson is back then we should be ok.

CB - Brown is a free agent after next year and Rogers could be cut after 2013 to save big money for 2014-2015 where we have a lot of young good FAs. Cox is a solid 4, maybe 3. Brock is a ST guy only. So someone who could either start or be a 3rd CB with Culliver and possibly Brown.

C - If Goodwin is cut to save 4.25 million than C would be a very high need if they don't think Daniel Kilgore is the answer.

#2 TE - If Delanie Walker isn't re-signed then 2nd TE is a high need. We use our #2 TE a lot. We would need someone who can get 1st downs/TDs and block as well.

#3 T - Someone who can backup both sides so we don't have to shuffle Boone who is doing well at RG to T if someone goes down.

WR - Manningham might not return back 100%. He and Williams are also FAs after 2013. Moss might re-sign for 1 more year but after next year Crabtree and Jenkins are the only ones we can count on being with us. I think we will need to go WR in the high to mid rounds in the next year or 2. Someone big and tall who can compliment the speed/quick Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins and Williams.

NT - If we re-sign Sopoaga then we should be ok with Ian Williams backing him up. If not then I'm not so sure they see RJF as the future at NT. Not sure we would go with a rookie at NT though so I think we will use Sopoaga or RJF or Ian Williams.

Possible Late Round Picks
QB - If Alex is cut then we will need someone to compete with Tolzien for the #2 spot. My guess is Tolzien will be #2. Doubt we go the FA route as Moore is the only decent one and he will get decent money to compete for a starting job.

K - I think we will go the free agent route but a draft pick is possible.

ILB - Grant and Gooden are FAs and we will probably lose 1. Mike Wilhoite or a draft pick would replace him.

S - We have to tag Goldson if we don't sign him long term. Maybe a guy who can backup FS/SS and play special teams but it depends on how much they like Trent Robinson and McBath.

4th RB - A power RB who can play ST and be an upgrade over Dixon.