LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 299 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers 2013 Mock Draft v2.0

I've updated some stuff, added an additional 3rd rounder as a compensatory pick, ignored the later ones pretty much. For this mock I'm also adding in a 4th round pick that I'm predicting comes in an Alex Smith trade.

Round 1-Alex Okafor-DE/OLB-Texas-The game against the Patriots showed the tremendous importance of defensive depth. Okafor would add another powerful pass rusher to the 49ers rotation. He's a very exciting player with a wide array of pass rushing moves and is a big-time playmaker.

Round 2-Baccari Rambo-FS-Georgia-In my opinion this is the NaVorro Bowman of this years draft. He's a highly skilled player, great center-fielder type of safety, true first round talent who will fall simply due to character issues. With a team filled with experienced veterans and strong coaching, I feel that Rambo could thrive and eventually allow Goldson to move to strong safety, thereby shoring up the 49ers biggest weakness in coverage.

Round 3(Carolina)-Quinton Patton-WR-Louisiana Tech-I'm really not a fan of choosing a WR this early, but this guy has something special about him. Everything about him screams a diamond prospect. He's not the fastest receiver out there but he just manages to make plays happen. He's disciplined, he's hard-working, tough WR coming from a small school. Runs fantasic routes, regularly gets separation and is tough to bring down after the catch. For those who are wondering, yes, I really do feel that this guy could be a Terrell Owens type of gem in the 3rd round. Not sure how things will shake out at the combine but after everything I've seen, I feel VERY strongly that whatever team selects him will be beyond thrilled with the production he provides. I don't think his measurables will turn out to be all that great, which is the only reason I think he'd be available this far down. To me, he's the 3rd best WR in the draft and I honestly would prefer him over either Allen or Hunter.

Round 3-Ryan Otten-TE-San Jose State-Small school receiving tight-end that has been absolutely fantastic when it comes to making big plays downfield. He's going to move up the boards due to his receiving ability, but I really hope he's still available here. He's essentially the prototype of TE that Harbaugh utilized at Stanford. Needs to work on his blocking somewhat but he's got size and soft hands that would make him a valuable asset for this team.

Round 3-Andrew Jackson-ILB-Western Kentucky-Replacement for Larry Grant. This guy was pretty much born to play for a defense like this. He's aggressive, loves to hit people, very, very good in defending the run, once again, he hits like a Mack truck. If he comes out this year, he'd be a great addition to the team, could be a massive hitter on special teams and rotate in on defense as well.

Round 4-Baker Steinkuhler-DE-Nebraska-Good size for a 3-4 end, very hardworking player, had some injury issues but nothing major. Former offensive lineman, intensely competitive, plays with a high motor, could stand to add some size but a veritable "blue collar/lunch pail" guy, nothing fancy or flashy, he'll just outwork you, period.

Round 4-Kwame Geathers-NT-Georgia-Big bodied NT, takes up space, could provide depth in case Soap leaves and eventually develop into a starter.

Round 5-Sam Schwarztein-C-Stanford-Useful depth at center, has experience in a pro-style offense, good blocking ability on both running and passing plays, familiarity with Harbaugh's offense obviously is a big plus as well.

Round 5-Tanner Hawkinson-OT-Kansas-Useful tackle depth, I don't expect Goodwin to be back and I see Kilgore moving into his spot, the 49ers are going to need additional depth, Hawkinson will aid in that along with Looney and Schwartzstein. Additionally Hawkinson could be developed into a starting right tackle a few years down the road if for whatever reason the 49ers were to be unable to sign Anthony Davis.

Round 6-Eric Gordon-CB-Tennessee-Potential slot corner, shows good speed and quickness, could be brought in to see if he can handle some of the smaller, quicker and shiftier slot receivers that the 49ers at times have had troubles dealing with.

Round 6-Cameron Marshall-RB-ASU-Underrated prospect, physical runner with good size. He's a guy who can move the pile and could mix in well with the 49ers existing running backs. This is a late-game running back that will beat down an already tired defense.

Round 7-Brett Maher-K-Nebraska-This pick is pretty self explanatory, if Dustin Hopkins is still available, then he'd be the pick but likely I see him gone in the early 6th round.

Round 7-Jaz Reynolds-WR-Oklahoma-Potential headcase, quite a bit more than normal but hey, its a 7th round pick. At worst he busts out and is gone, at best he turns into a productive contributor, has good size, solid hands, accelerates quickly and is able to gain separation without being a burner.

That's all I have for now.
Not to bad there.
Nice work. Hits all the position of need. I like Quinn Sharp from OSU as the late round kicker option because he can handle punts, too.
so if Goldson moved to SS does that mean we plan on getting rid of whitner soon?
Nice! Alwayz liked okafor as our 1st pick-would rather make some trades anc wind up with 2 2nds & 2 thirds then take rambo &margus hunt and in the 3rd take patton & otten then manuever back into the 4th for geathers
Comprehensive!
I do not like players from Texas. Over the past five years or so most of the players drafted from there have been bust, under performed, or unable to play at a high level constantly over time. the best pick I's Otten, he coulbe a matchup nightmare. Other than that your draft is not really to my liking but it's okay.
Originally posted by D-Money:
I do not like players from Texas. Over the past five years or so most of the players drafted from there have been bust, under performed, or unable to play at a high level constantly over time. the best pick I's Otten, he coulbe a matchup nightmare. Other than that your draft is not really to my liking but it's okay.

I tried to find people with high levels of potential. Rambo can be a top starting free safety in the NFL. IMO he's the best centerfield type of safety available in this year's draft. If not for the pot and character issues he'd be a mid 1st rounder, much in the same way Bowman was. Patton I feel is a legitimate #1 WR talent, I think he'll come into the NFL, and because of his insane work ethic, will find tremendous success. He's not the most athletic guy but he'll simply outwork everyone else. He's a good character guy and a team leader. Physically I think he can be like a Dwayne Bowe type but without the headcase issues. He doesn't shy away from contact, leans into it and loves to knock defensive backs on their ass. He's also intensely competitive, takes direct challenges personally, he's got a scary amount of potential.

Otten is pretty self-explanatory. I'd personally prefer Dion Sims but somebody will jump on him earlier rather than later due to the fact that he's a ready "out-of-the-box" run blocker and has tremendous physical size. Otten has fantastic potential and I feel will get somewhat overlooked coming from a smaller school. James Jones came out of San Jose St and has done pretty damn well for himself. Otten would be a great #2 TE as he can be a tremendous downfield threat and present another headache for opposing defenses.

Jackson I absolutely love as a player. He's more of a luxury pick but this guy is such a beast its unbelievable. He idolizes Ray Lewis and lives to knock the stuffing out of anything that moves in an opposing jersey. He's strong against the run, needs to work on his coverage skills but as a 3rd ILB and special teams contributor, he would be a major boost to this team, and in case of any injury that might occur to Bowman or Willis, he'd be ready to step in and play with the same aggressive edge. In the long-run he could end up being traded for picks or even someday move in as a starter but I think he'll be another smaller school player to be somewhat overlooked.

Geathers I'm not thrilled about, but I'd like to see the 49ers add some depth at NT. I would easily switch out Geathers for a pass-rushing OLB at that spot and switch out Okafor for a 3-4 DE like Richardson, I just think Richardson won't be around for the 49ers 1st round pick and I'm not really a fan of trading up.

Steinkuhler has NFL bloodlines, his dad played in the league. He needs to work on his pass rush skills but he's a beastly run defender, smart guy, very hard worker, a former offensive lineman that could develop into a solid starting 3-4 DE in this league. His biggest weakness is his limited pass rush repertoire but with some coaching that could definitely be developed.

As far as the rest, Iike Schwartzstein a lot in the 5th round. He's experienced, solid pass and run-blocker, has played in Harbaugh's system, would be solid depth ready to backup whoever ends up being the center next year.
not really sure what position another OLB would play
Well some of the players are questionable foe me at least you can back your s**t up. Good job Phoenix. I think if you just changed the first round pick it would look alot better. I'm sorry I know it's biased but I just don't believe in these players from Texas anymore

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by D-Money:

I tried to find people with high levels of potential. Rambo can be a top starting free safety in the NFL. IMO he's the best centerfield type of safety available in this year's draft. If not for the pot and character issues he'd be a mid 1st rounder, much in the same way Bowman was. Patton I feel is a legitimate #1 WR talent, I think he'll come into the NFL, and because of his insane work ethic, will find tremendous success. He's not the most athletic guy but he'll simply outwork everyone else. He's a good character guy and a team leader. Physically I think he can be like a Dwayne Bowe type but without the headcase issues. He doesn't shy away from contact, leans into it and loves to knock defensive backs on their ass. He's also intensely competitive, takes direct challenges personally, he's got a scary amount of potential.

Otten is pretty self-explanatory. I'd personally prefer Dion Sims but somebody will jump on him earlier rather than later due to the fact that he's a ready "out-of-the-box" run blocker and has tremendous physical size. Otten has fantastic potential and I feel will get somewhat overlooked coming from a smaller school. James Jones came out of San Jose St and has done pretty damn well for himself. Otten would be a great #2 TE as he can be a tremendous downfield threat and present another headache for opposing defenses.

Jackson I absolutely love as a player. He's more of a luxury pick but this guy is such a beast its unbelievable. He idolizes Ray Lewis and lives to knock the stuffing out of anything that moves in an opposing jersey. He's strong against the run, needs to work on his coverage skills but as a 3rd ILB and special teams contributor, he would be a major boost to this team, and in case of any injury that might occur to Bowman or Willis, he'd be ready to step in and play with the same aggressive edge. In the long-run he could end up being traded for picks or even someday move in as a starter but I think he'll be another smaller school player to be somewhat overlooked.

Geathers I'm not thrilled about, but I'd like to see the 49ers add some depth at NT. I would easily switch out Geathers for a pass-rushing OLB at that spot and switch out Okafor for a 3-4 DE like Richardson, I just think Richardson won't be around for the 49ers 1st round pick and I'm not really a fan of trading up.

Steinkuhler has NFL bloodlines, his dad played in the league. He needs to work on his pass rush skills but he's a beastly run defender, smart guy, very hard worker, a former offensive lineman that could develop into a solid starting 3-4 DE in this league. His biggest weakness is his limited pass rush repertoire but with some coaching that could definitely be developed.

As far as the rest, Iike Schwartzstein a lot in the 5th round. He's experienced, solid pass and run-blocker, has played in Harbaugh's system, would be solid depth ready to backup whoever ends up being the center next year.

Hey, thanks for the thought and effort you put into this!

Mocks never translate into actuality, but the thought processes behind the teams actual picks can mirror those of a mock . . . and I cannot fault your reasoning . . . neither do I dislike any of the players you selected.

Maybe a developmental QB in the later rounds? Someone raw but with intelligence and all the physical tools, who can be developed.

Niners may also need a real speed threat at WR, now that they have a QB who can get the ball out there.
[ Edited by Rsrkshn on Dec 19, 2012 at 7:58 AM ]
Haralson is gone, Haggans is gone, we don't know anything about the two rookies from this draft. In a passing league, a strong pass rush makes all the difference, I fully believe that you can't have enough good pass rushers, it's the equalizer against top notch quarterbacks. However, if a decent OLB couldn't be found in the 1st, I'm also fine with going 3-4 DE or NT, more depth along the OL is crucial but at some point I feel they'll have to invest in an OLB because right now its looking like there will be considerable question marks backing up Brooks and Smith.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Haralson is gone, Haggans is gone, we don't know anything about the two rookies from this draft. In a passing league, a strong pass rush makes all the difference, I fully believe that you can't have enough good pass rushers, it's the equalizer against top notch quarterbacks. However, if a decent OLB couldn't be found in the 1st, I'm also fine with going 3-4 DE or NT, more depth along the OL is crucial but at some point I feel they'll have to invest in an OLB because right now its looking like there will be considerable question marks backing up Brooks and Smith.

Haralson has an asterisk next to his name right now, which is *Gone at current salary* - I bet we offer him a restructured deal of 1 to 1.5 a year and see if he bites, otherwise I agree he is gone.

With the big unknowns of of Fleming and Johnson we will take an OLB but probably not until at least round 3, in which the media is saying we could have 3 picks after receiving a comp selection.

Remember that EVERYONE and I mean every single taking head said that if it wasn't for the medical red flag which ended up being BS Johnson would've been off the board in the 2nd or 3rd round. So while we took him in the 7th we essentially have a top 75 pick caliber player in Johnson.

We'll likely match Johnson and Fleming up with another late day 2 pick and roll with the top 2 or maybe even all 3.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Hey, thanks for the thought and effort you put into this!

Mocks never translate into actuality, but the thought processes behind the teams actual picks can mirror those of a mock . . . and I cannot fault your reasoning . . . neither do I dislike any of the players you selected.

Maybe a developmental QB in the later rounds? Someone raw but with intelligence and all the physical tools, who can be developed.

Niners may also need a real speed threat at WR, now that they have a QB who can get the ball out there.

Actually intrigued at the thought of drafting Denard Robinson to be a slot WR. He sure as hell can't be a QB, he makes Tebow look like he has sound mechanics, but he does have tremendous natural athletic ability and could be a nice contributor as a slot WR.
Actually intrigued at the thought of drafting Denard Robinson to be a slot WR. He sure as hell can't be a QB, he makes Tebow look like he has sound mechanics, but he does have tremendous natural athletic ability and could be a nice contributor as a slot WR.

I like this idea. Might even be able to contribute in the return game. There's no disputing his ability to make plays in space.
Share 49ersWebzone