There are 362 users in the forums

Butter's Mock Draft - no trades

There is no way the Niner's draft 14 players. I think it is very likely that they trade up or out of many of these picks. But for fun, here's a shot at players/positions the Niners might target.

1st NT/DE Kawaan Short, Purdue
Purduer Sr 6-3 315
Upgrading the DL is a top priority. I waffled between Short, Sylvester Williams. Jonathan Jenkins size is intriguing, but I just don't see the Niners taking a big slow behemoth.
2012: 42 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, six sacks, four PBUs, four blocked kicks, two fumbles recovered and one forced.

2nd
RB Stefan Taylor 3rd
Stanford Sr 5-11 215
After drafting a RB in the 2nd last year, this seems may seem unnecessary, but can Harbaugh resist? Taylor provides a good compliment to James, and is in the wings waiting for the only force that can stop Gore...Father time.

3rd (Carolina)
WR Cordarrelle Patterson
Tennessee 6-3 205 4.46
Big, fast target to stretch the field. First player in the NCAA to record a touchdown four different ways in the same season since 2008 and the first-ever to accomplish the feat at Tennessee. He led the Vols with 10 total touchdowns (five receiving, three rushing and one each by kickoff and punt return). You just know Roman could have a field day with this guy.

3rd
NT Brandon Williams
Missouri Southern 6-2 328
There's been some chatter about him on the Zone and many do not think he'll fall this far. He's a small school gem who plays mean.

3rd (Comp)
TE Jospeh Fauria
UCLA 6-7 255 4.82
Not nearly as fast or agile as Walker, but he makes a towering target. At 11 TD's he makes a really good red zone target.

4th
Brandon Jenkins
Florida State 6-3 260 4.69
Injury risk after missing the 2012 season with a foot injury, but he racked up 21.5 sacks his first two seasons at FS.

5th
S Phillipp Thomas
Fresno State 6-1 215 4.57
Not extremely fast, but he has excellent instincts. Generated 20 turnovers (13 interceptions, six forced fumbles, one fumble recovery), and while he played at a smaller school, he clearly has a nose for the ball.

5th
Braxton Cave
Notre Dame 6-3 305 5.18
3 year starter who was part of a really good O-line at Notre Dame.

6th
CB Josh Johnson
Purdue 5-11 195 4.49
His technique is a little raw, but he had 58 tackles, including 53 solo stops, with three tackles for loss, one sack three fumbles forced and one fumble recovery. His 19 passes defended (16 PBUs and three interceptions) placed him second in the Big Ten this season.

6th K Dustin Hopkins
Niners need a young kicker

7th
Craig Roh Michigan
Michigan 6-4 280 4.87
2012: 36 tackles, 5.5 TFLs and 4.0 sacks. Not eye popping numbers, but he's a Harbaugh "football player". Added weight to move from OLB to DE. Great motor, really strong, and loves to watch film.

7th LT Manase Foketi
West Texas AM 6-5 320 5.30
Has some raw talent, but needs to be coached up a bit. Missed 2011 with Achilles injury.

7th
ILB Greg Blair
Cincinnati 6-1 252 4.86
He's big and slow, but he's very productive. Blair was first on the team and second in the BIG EAST with 123 tackles, an average of 10.2 per game. He led the team with 8.5 tackles for a loss while adding eight passes defended, six pass break ups, four QB hurries, 2.5 sacks, a pair on interceptions and a forced fumble. He had 11 games with six or more tackles; seven double-digit tackle games and a career best 19 stops at Louisville.

7th
QB Collin Klein
Kansas State 6-5 226 4.74
Collin K II. Big runner with a hitch in his throw. Klein rushed for 22 touchdowns to rank second nationally and first among quarterbacks, while he accounted for 37 touchdowns this season. The senior, who has rushed for 890 yards, has completed 180-of-272 passes for 2,490 yards and 15 touchdowns.
I like the 1st round pick, but we'll need to trade up to get Kawann Short.
I like a RB in round 3 or 4....
So, where is Hunter in the backfield? This injury wont mean he isn't the second back right? He is productive when Gore would be out. Would Taylor be a short yardage back?
I will pick Shariff Floyd over Kewaan Short but apart from this I really like your mock, especially Taylot and Patterson.
[ Edited by Decima_Mas on Dec 11, 2012 at 12:01 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I don't like the Stefan Taylor pick, don't get me wrong I like Stefan Taylor, but I feel we have more pressing needs than to draft another RB in the 2nd round. We are already crowded with Gore, Hunter, James and Dixon. And if we were to draft another RB, I think we could wait till the 4th and maybe pick up DJ Harper outta Boise St. or Ray Graham outta Pittsburgh.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for Sjceruti.
Collin Klein hahahaha
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I don't like the Stefan Taylor pick, don't get me wrong I like Stefan Taylor, but I feel we have more pressing needs than to draft another RB in the 2nd round. We are already crowded with Gore, Hunter, James and Dixon. And if we were to draft another RB, I think we could wait till the 4th and maybe pick up DJ Harper outta Boise St. or Ray Graham outta Pittsburgh.

Very valid.

Gore is hitting 30, Hunter is coming off injury, James looks really good, Dixon is probably a ST and spot duty at best.

Best case scenario:
Gore plays 1-2 more years at a high level
Hunter comes back as good or better
James continues to improve
Dixon is a S/T ace and short yardage back

Worst case
Gore starts going down hill and/or get injured
Hunter takes time to recover
James is the lead back
Dixon becomes 2nd back

I don't know how much weight Harbaugh puts on his ex-players, but Taylor is pretty good. Hunter was playing well before his injury, he could be a decent trade piece. A future core of James/Taylor is pretty solid.

But picking a value back later is probably the smart thing to do. Then focus on drafting a blue chip S instead in the 2nd.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Collin Klein hahahaha

I just couldn't pass that up as the Niners Mr. Irrelevent
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I like it all except Colin Klein, he will never play QB in the NFL -- his throwing motion is just as ugly as Tebow's and he isn't very athletic to be a "mobile" QB anyway. He might become someones long term project but he's going to need hundreds of hours of throwing and mechanics coaching to retrain his muscle memory and fix his throwing motion.

My problem is I've been tracking what schools we've sent scouts to and while it could be a total smokescreen I am wary of most mocks this season as I'll be wondering if we sent scouts to a school 3-5 times to watch a middle round prospect or to watch a 1st round pick or get as much film of UDFAs as possible. Example of this being that we've scouted California 4 times and the only legitimate prospect on their roster is Keenan Allen, who we might have to trade up to the top 15 to even think about selecting, or were we seriously scouting them for UDFAs? Kinda frustating.

Originally posted by Decima_Mas:
I will pick Shariff Floyd over Kewaan Short but apart from this I really like your mock, especially Taylot and Patterson.
I agree on Floyd versus Short and I'm betting Patterson doesn't last past the middle of the second and possibly goes first round.
Good post.

TOTALLY Agree with you first statement that we won't use all 14 picks in this draft.

I've been a fan of Floyd for a while. We need another beast on the left side of the DLine. Ray Mac's impact has fallen off.

Good call on NT - we'll have to trade up.

WR is a good move.

Don't care for the RB in the 2nd.

Thanks
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Very valid.

Gore is hitting 30, Hunter is coming off injury, James looks really good, Dixon is probably a ST and spot duty at best.

Best case scenario:
Gore plays 1-2 more years at a high level
Hunter comes back as good or better
James continues to improve
Dixon is a S/T ace and short yardage back

Worst case
Gore starts going down hill and/or get injured
Hunter takes time to recover
James is the lead back
Dixon becomes 2nd back

I don't know how much weight Harbaugh puts on his ex-players, but Taylor is pretty good. Hunter was playing well before his injury, he could be a decent trade piece. A future core of James/Taylor is pretty solid.

But picking a value back later is probably the smart thing to do. Then focus on drafting a blue chip S instead in the 2nd.

I dont hate the Taylor pick, I like it actually. I just would see it as he is a ST guy replacing Dixon. We would have 3 young stud backs in Hunter, James, and Taylor to have after Gore slows down.
Share 49ersWebzone