LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

Margus Hunt-DE-SMU

He is old for a rookie but I like the input you guys have on this guy. I agree with above that if he is there with our 34th we take him but not 31st.. To me it seems like he would also be a great special teams player on the dline blocking kicks.. Maybe he can be our version of Calais Cambell? I'm
Not sure but big tall guys like that have great value in the NFL..
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by mayo49:
By the time Margus develops he'll be 30. I say pass.

If he developes at all!

How pissed would you guys be if we took him @31?

I wouldn't be pissed at all, I trust our front office and our coaches. We also have another pick 3-4 spots after 31, and 13 total picks so it wouldn't be the end of the world. We picked A.J Jenkins at the end of the first last year, yet it was the 2nd rounder that had the bigger impact (James).

I don't like what I have seen from Hunt but if we pick him I would be an instatnt fan hoping for the best from him.
how is he 26? international player or something?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by mayo49:
By the time Margus develops he'll be 30. I say pass.

If he developes at all!

How pissed would you guys be if we took him @31?

I wouldn't be pissed at all, I trust our front office and our coaches. We also have another pick 3-4 spots after 31, and 13 total picks so it wouldn't be the end of the world. We picked A.J Jenkins at the end of the first last year, yet it was the 2nd rounder that had the bigger impact (James).

I don't like what I have seen from Hunt but if we pick him I would be an instatnt fan hoping for the best from him.

Haha, very political of you!

I happen to really like the pick, I was just trying to goad you
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by bigwads:
What is so tremendous about Hunt is that he doesn't play the game like a guy that is just a better athlete than other people...when I watch him play he plays with natural football talent, so he looks natural in two gapping or rushing the passer. He doesn't look like he strains in the movements that one has to make to play the game. I recall that dude from Ohio state that was a bust awhile back to looked so stiff and unathletic when he played that you knew he was likely a bust despite his raw athletic ability. There is such a thing as athletic talent-which allows you to be a talented football player-and raw athletic talent like someone who can only run a fast 40 time.

Hunt looks very natural playing the game, and he is only gaining playing experience. In time you will see him massively improve as he starts to recognize things faster...which only comes by playing the game. What is so impressive is how good he is while playing so little. He understands dipping around corners and is able to do it. A lot of players (including Aldon Smith and Brooks) that simply cannot do this.

I will go on record saying he may be the best player taken in this draft looking back 3 years from now...and you can usually say that about a few people going into a draft. It would not surprise me to see him come off the board in the top 20.

TOP 20!

LMAO, I sure hope so! This would mean that there would be a real top 31 guy that will be there when we make our first pick.

i dont knkow, a ranking doesnt mean anything if the player doesnt play up to it...

as far as Hunt, I dont really see much difference beyween hom and BYU's Eziekiel Ansah---both are overaged, foreign born end prospects with unique physical gifts..both are long, run well, and if anything hunt had more experience and production at smu than ansah at byu--either could turn into a star or be a bust..both seem likely to be drafted in large part on what a team will see as their potential

NFL RB's will be able to cut block Hunt.

He is in no way as gifted as Ansah, look at the tape Ansah is unblockable at times.

i dont have access to tape--where do you get yours?...i look at utube, which tends to put highlights in where anyone can look good...i did watch extended utube on ansah in the notre dame game and he was getting blocked there
Originally posted by bigwads:
What is so tremendous about Hunt is that he doesn't play the game like a guy that is just a better athlete than other people...when I watch him play he plays with natural football talent, so he looks natural in two gapping or rushing the passer. He doesn't look like he strains in the movements that one has to make to play the game. I recall that dude from Ohio state that was a bust awhile back to looked so stiff and unathletic when he played that you knew he was likely a bust despite his raw athletic ability. There is such a thing as athletic talent-which allows you to be a talented football player-and raw athletic talent like someone who can only run a fast 40 time.

Hunt looks very natural playing the game, and he is only gaining playing experience. In time you will see him massively improve as he starts to recognize things faster...which only comes by playing the game. What is so impressive is how good he is while playing so little. He understands dipping around corners and is able to do it. A lot of players (including Aldon Smith and Brooks) that simply cannot do this.

I will go on record saying he may be the best player taken in this draft looking back 3 years from now...and you can usually say that about a few people going into a draft. It would not surprise me to see him come off the board in the top 20.

TOP 20!

LMAO, I sure hope so! This would mean that there would be a real top 31 guy that will be there when we make our first pick.

i dont knkow, a ranking doesnt mean anything if the player doesnt play up to it...

as far as Hunt, I dont really see much difference beyween hom and BYU's Eziekiel Ansah---both are overaged, foreign born end prospects with unique physical gifts..both are long, run well, and if anything hunt had more experience and production at smu than ansah at byu--either could turn into a star or be a bust..both seem likely to be drafted in large part on what a team will see as their potential

NFL RB's will be able to cut block Hunt.

He is in no way as gifted as Ansah, look at the tape Ansah is unblockable at times.

i dont have access to tape--where do you get yours?...i look at utube, which tends to put highlights in where anyone can look good...i did watch extended utube on ansah in the notre dame game and he was getting blocked there

lol at people on here "watching tape" haha
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Ya, he came from Estonia for track at SMU. Something happened with the track program and he didn't want to leave SMU so the football coaches gave him a chance to play for them.
Originally posted by DVDA:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Ya, he came from Estonia for track at SMU. Something happened with the track program and he didn't want to leave SMU so the football coaches gave him a chance to play for them.

I like him though, but only at 61 at the earliest
I initially started out sour on this guy, but the more that I have watched him, the more I'm starting to believe we may be targeting him with our 31st pick. He has the length, aggressiveness, strength and athleticism to be a difference-maker. Could he flop? Yes, but we seem to place a real value on upside and work ethic, even if college production doesn't necessarily match. When you look at players that may be available around our pick, none of them have the upside that this kid has at a position of need. You don't get the opportunity to draft guys of Hunt's physical stature and demeanor at the bottom of the first round very often. Next year, there will be a safety that compares favorably to Cyprien or Ried. There will be a WR that compares favorably to Patterson or Hunter. There may even be a OLB that compares favorably to Jarvis Jones or a TE that compares favorably to Eifert (doubtful). But there will be no DE to replace Justin Smith with Hunt's freakish athletic ability, strength and tenacity, who can be molded into something special.

If Hunt hits, you may be talking about a poor man's JJ Watt, which would be unfair for opposing offenses, considering the rest of the talent in the 49ers front-seven. If he doesn't, he's a serviceable 3-4 end that replaces J. Smith and occupies offensive lineman. With Tomsula's coaching, I think he will at least make it through his first contract as a starter. This team's most glaring weakness is at FS. I acknowledge that. But a strong pass rush can compensate for an average secondary. Not vice versa. Hunt has the potential to become the second-best pass rushing 3-4 DE in the league behind Watt. I think we have him circled to be the heir apparent and that we jump on him at 31 or earlier with a possible trade up. You've heard it here first. Thoughts?
If we get him, I'm confident that our coaches will get the miost out of his talents.

Let's face it, he's built like a powerhouse and if he can produce - IMO will be a steal.

https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/324279009334657024

"Looked at Margus Hunt recently for first time in months. I think he will be a bust. So stiff, not explosive, and upright. Not a good player."
This guy has been just as productive as Tank Carradine has thus far.

Has been inactive for all but 1 game and doesn't have a single tackle yet.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Will i didnt want this old man anyways or tank i wanted a CB or WR in tha 2nd round ....
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Will i didnt want this old man anyways or tank i wanted a CB or WR in tha 2nd round ....
Don't know if Hunt or Tank will work out. I think year 2 will show a lot for these guys.

The webzone favorite Datone Jones hasn't done anything either. Played a handful of games and has 1 tackle. I thought he would get more playing time with Clay Mathews going down...
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Don't know if Hunt or Tank will work out. I think year 2 will show a lot for these guys.

The webzone favorite Datone Jones hasn't done anything either. Played a handful of games and has 1 tackle. I thought he would get more playing time with Clay Mathews going down...

Why would that matter? Jones is a 3-4 DE, Matthews is an OLB.
Share 49ersWebzone