There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Margus Hunt-DE-SMU

Originally posted by SF69ers:
Holy s**t, it IS your thread.

WTF?! You really liked him?!?! And now you really hate him?!?! WTF?!

I don't hate him, this is people being ridiculous and thinking in absolutes. At the time, slated to be a late 2nd or 3rd rounder, I thought he was well worth it, but with people talking about him as a 1st round pick..................

However I do think its amusing to see people coming into a thread I created about a guy and telling me how much I hate him. I just don't want him as a 1st or early 2nd rounder, he's not someone who's ready to contribute, tremendous potential, but not deserving of that early of a pick.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by captain_planet:
He started the thread, and his first words were, "I like this player a lot. . ."

Potential wise, absolutely.....and I'd love to see him drafted in the late 2nd or 3rd round. The potential is undeniable, but as he's a total project, there's no way in hell you take him in the 1st or early 2nd .

I understood that you liked him overall but hated him as a first rounder. I was laughing at the part I bolded because you were OP and said you liked him.
LOL I'm trying to find the page where you totally switch modes.

You say you like him and say we'll be lucky if he's available at our 2nd round pick. You're all over Hunt in the first few pages. Complete 180 now.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
LOL I'm trying to find the page where you totally switch modes.

You say you like him and say we'll be lucky if he's available at our 2nd round pick. You're all over Hunt in the first few pages. Complete 180 now.

Right around the time people started talking about him as a 1st round pick.....f**k that. Late 2nd rounder....that's doable. If you look back at my old mock drafts, I had the 49ers drafting him in the 3rd round...and in one of them I believe, in the late 2nd, I just don't think his value goes any higher than that, not with how raw he is, now with questions about his motor, his age...etc.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM ]
Potential wise, absolutely.....and I'd love to see him drafted in the late 2nd or 3rd round. The potential is undeniable, but as he's a total project, there's no way in hell you take him in the 1st or early 2nd .

That's a completely subjective point of veiw and the whole point I've been trying to argue is that Jenkins, Williams, and Hankins are not players I would spend a 1st round pick on.
Rotoworld rates him as a 6th round pick:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42630/60/nfl-combine-risers?pg=2

Just because we can invest in a project because of a roster, doesn't mean we have to invest a lot.
Originally posted by guillotine31:
Rotoworld rates him as a 6th round pick:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42630/60/nfl-combine-risers?pg=2

Just because we can invest in a project because of a roster, doesn't mean we have to invest a lot.

There was even post-Combine buzz that some clubs prefer Hunt on offense, playing tight end.

LOL, they talked about that on the radio here but I thought the hosts were being goofy.
Realistically what round do you guys think he will get drafted?
Originally posted by eonblue:

Late 2nd round. He'll get hyped, but when draft day comes, teams will look at him, see a guy with little positive film, still very raw, 26 and it'll push him down the boards.

And that's trying to be as unbiased as possible, after all I started this flipping thread. I think the additional difficulty with Hunt is the uncertainty of where to play him. He's too small to be a 3-4 DE, his coverage skills are unknown as a 3-4 OLB, most likely a 4-3 DE but then again apparently people have discussed making him a TE...so who knows.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM ]

Late 2nd round. He'll get hyped, but when draft day comes, teams will look at him, see a guy with little positive film, still very raw, 26 and it'll push him down the boards.

And that's trying to be as unbiased as possible, after all I started this flipping thread. I think the additional difficulty with Hunt is the uncertainty of where to play him. He's too small to be a 3-4 DE, his coverage skills are unknown as a 3-4 OLB, most likely a 4-3 DE but then again apparently people have discussed making him a TE...so who knows.

With a $123M salary cap, investing anything higher than a 3rd in a guy you don't know where to play is tough.

How is he to small for 3-4 DE? You just blasted some guy for saying Datone Jones was to small to play DE and he's only 6 pounds heavier. He's also noted during interviews his abilty to bulk up to 285. Give this guy an NFL weight room and nutritionist and he could put on the weight.
How is he to small for 3-4 DE? You just blasted some guy for saying Datone Jones was to small to play DE and he's only 6 pounds heavier. He's also noted during interviews his abilty to bulk up to 285. Give this guy an NFL weight room and nutritionist and he could put on the weight.

Now compare their height. Even at 285, he's small. Calais Campbell of the Cardinals, at basically the same height, goes from 300-310.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM ]
Originally posted by guillotine31:
With a $123M salary cap, investing anything higher than a 3rd in a guy you don't know where to play is tough.

You or Phoenix may not know where to play him but if the FO picked him I'm sure they would have a pretty good idea. He's a little tall for the 4-3 edge rushers but I think would be a good spot for him. Isolate him with the tackle and let him work his magic on the strongside. He has the OLB covering him until he understand his gap assignment and he also doesn't have to face the infamous left tackle. He can also play 3-4 DE. If Justin Smith can do it at 290. Margus Hunt who is incredibly strong, fast, and lean can bulk to 290 and not lose a step. Thats the issue here. This guys body type can easily gain 15 pounds. Most athlete can but you don't want them to lose speed. Hunt runs a 4.6 and is incredibly explosive. He could lose a step and still be faster than most. His arm length and strength will keep the tackle and guard off him and he'll just need to learn to convert that size to push past the guard.
Now compare their height. Even at 285, he's small. Calais Campbell of the Cardinals, at basically the same height, goes from 300-310.

Lol. 277 isn't light no matter what your height is but okay Phoenix he's small. A leaner build like his actually has more potential to put on bulk and to be honest he could probably be helped with a little fat around the midsection.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Mike Mayock just released his new rankings and he has added a 3-4 defensive end section.

He has Margus Hunt as #2

3-4 Defensive End
1. Star Lotulelei, Utah
2. Margus Hunt, SMU
3. Datone Jones, UCLA
4. Jesse Williams, Alabama
5. William Gholston, Michigan State

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000146289/article/mike-mayock-alters-position-rankings-for-2013-nfl-draft