There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mock offseason 3.o

I need to switch it up a bit because in my last one, I picked Quanterus Smith in round two. That will all change now that he tore his ACL

Re-Sign -

FS- Dashon Goldson 5 yrs
WR- Randy Moss 1 yr
ILB- Tavares Gooden 2 yrs
TE- Delanie Walker 3 yrs
NT- Ricky Jean Francois 3 yrs
S- Darcel McBath 1 yr

Trade -

QB- Alex Smith to Kansas City for their 2nd round pick. I think KC drafts Geno Smith at #1 but he is not ready to start yet. They will let him learn for a few years while Alex Smith starts. We pay Smith his $1M roster bonus in march and have a month to shop him before the remaining $7.5M salary becomes guarenteed April 1. I think KC is the perfect trade partner. If Tebow can get a 4th, Alex Smith can get a 2nd

Extend -

WR- Mario Manningham - 5 yrs
SS- Donte Whitner- 3 yrs
DE- Justin Smith- 3 yrs
MLB- Navarro Bowman- 7 yrs (we cannot let him hit free agency unless we want to franchise him)

Lose -

NT- Issac Sopoago
LB- Larry Grant
RB- Brandon Jacobs
KR- Ted Ginn
OLB- Clark Haggins
CB- Tramaine Brock
OLB- Parys Harlason (Cut)
K- David Akers (Cut)

2014 FA's

OC- Jon Goodwin
CB- Tarell Brown
CB- Perrish Cox
WR- Kyle Williams

NFL Draft -

1. (32) Louis Nix NT, Notre Dame 6'3, 340 **Junior

He has totaled 35 tackles, 4.5 tackles for a loss, two sacks, three passes broken up and one forced fumble this year. The numbers don't illustrate how good Nix has been for the Irish. He has been a disruptive force who blasts through the line. Nix has caused a lot of havoc on run plays for his teammates to clean up.

2a. (34) Sharrif Floyd DE, Florida Height: 6-3, 301 **Junior

Disruptive defensive lineman. We cant go on having Smith and McDonald play 90% of the snaps.

2b. (62) Mario Benavides OC, Louisville 6'4, 290
Dominant center. Will learn for a year then take over and strengthen our O-line.

3a. (66- f/m Car) Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB, Connecticut 6'2, 190
Excellent size, speed and athletesism. Brown and Cox will be in the last year of their deals. Rogers and Culliver the year after. We need CB's.

3b. (94) Travis Long OLB, Washington State 6'3, 256
Compares to Connor Barwin from Houston.

4. (126) Caleb Sturgis K, Florida 5'11, 184

5a. (148- f/m Indy) A.J Klein MLB, Iowa State 6'1, 240

5b. (155) Brad Sorensen QB, Southern Utah 6'4, 225

6a. (f/m Miami) Ryan Swope WR, Texas AM 6'0, 205

6b.--

7a. (f/m Cincy) --

7b. --

Depth Chart -

QB:

Colin Kaepernick
Scott Tolzien
Brad Sorensen

RB:

Frank Gore
Kendall Hunter
LeMichael James
Anthony Dixon

FB:

Bruce Miller
DeMarcus Dobbs

TE:

Vernon Davis
Delanie Walker
Garrett Celek

WR1: Michael Crabtree
WR2: Mario Manningham
WR3: Kyle Williams
WR4: AJ Jenkins
WR5- Randy Moss
WR6- Ryan Swope

LT: Joe Staley
LG: Mike Iupati - Daniel Kilgore
C: Jon Goodwin - Mario Benavides
RG: Alex Boone - Joe Looney
RT: Anthony Davis

LE: Justin Smith - Will Tukafu
NT: Ricky Jean Francois - Louis Nix - Ian Williams
RE: Ray McDonald - Shariff Floyd

OLB: Aldon Smith - Darius Fleming
ILB: Patrick Willis - Tavares Gooden
ILB: Navarro Bowman - AJ Klein
OLB: Ahmad Brooks - Travis Long

CB: Tarell Brown - Carlos Rogers - Blidi Wreh-Wilson
CB: Chris Culliver - Perrish Cox
FS: Dashon Goldson - Trenton Robinson
SS: Donte Whitner - CJ Spillman - Darcel McBath

K: Caleb Sturgis
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Nov 25, 2012 at 6:55 PM ]
There's no way in *ell somebody is giving us a 2nd round pick for Alex Smith. They can wait for him to be cut if they want him.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
There's no way in *ell somebody is giving us a 2nd round pick for Alex Smith. They can wait for him to be cut if they want him.

Then we keep him as a backup. 1st in comp %. 4th in Qb rating.

If Tebow can get a 4th from the Jets, we can get a 2nd from someone. Especially considering there are NO QB's in the draft who can start from day 1.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Nov 25, 2012 at 7:21 PM ]
We can't keep Smith and his 9.75 million dollar cap number as the #2 QB. We're right against the cap with Goldson,Walker,Soap,and others as free agents after the season. We'll use Smith,Haralson and Akers 16+ million to get some of those guys resigned. After the 2013 season Bowman,J. Smith,T. Brown,Whitner,Goodwin,Manningham and others are free agents. We have a ton of picks in the 2013 draft we'll use those picks to get younger and cheaper players to fill big money aging vets. spots on the roster. That will allow players like Goldson,Bowman,Whitner, and possibly Brown to be resigned.
I like a lot of what you did.

Trading Alex to KC is perfect! I was thinking about who could we trade him to and I went through every team and KC was the most logical. However, I don't think they give up a second - I feel a 3rd is more realistic. And even if we only got a 4th - anything is better than getting nothing at all.

Really like Floyd at DE in the 2nd. Justin plays almost every snap of every game and is approaching 33. We must improve the rotation.

Also like Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB - Rogers is playing solid BUT we need more CB in this passing league.

I'm not confident in extending Whitner for 3 years. Yesterday's game was the fastest he's played all season. Frankly, he has seemed slow - especially in the Rams game.

I've been hoping that Kilgore can move into the Center position. You choice of Benavides is a good one. But, What I'd like to do instead is package some of our later round picks with the 2nd and move up to nab one of the top Safeties in a draft class that has many good ones.

Love the Sorensen pick - we may need to move up to get him.

Nix will be a beast and I feel like you we need to get a NT in the first.

Thanks for the work.
I like the offseason, however, i don't think it will work financially. Goldson is playing at ProBowl level. Bowman is elite and will command elite money, as will J.Smith. Whitner has had a great year...

There just isn't enough pie to go around. Maybe if guys take 'hometown' discounts like Carlos Rogers did last year, then maybe.
There's no way in hell any team is trading a 2nd round pick for Alex Smith. A late 3rd rounder is about as good as you'd get. Teams know that the 49ers have to cut him eventually.
All I will say is that I really like the Sharrif Floyd selection. That boy is gonna be a really good DL.
Yeah teams know we most likely will cut smith but why not give up a 3rd or 4th to guarantee his services? There are a good amount of qb starved teams that will fight for an efficient qb who's only 28
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Yeah teams know we most likely will cut smith but why not give up a 3rd or 4th to guarantee his services? There are a good amount of qb starved teams that will fight for an efficient qb who's only 28

Exactly. If we were to cut Alex what are the chances of him signing in that wasteland in KC?? A 2nd may be high but a 3rd or 4th to secure his services is not out of the question as you say.
I like what you done here and I think we can get a 2nd round pick for him. There are a lot of team in need of a QB Kansas City , Jets (Since HC will be gone so will Vick), and Eagles (Same as Jets). There are a couple more that will be wanting a veteran QB to start right off while there rookie seats and learns...
That draft, I like it. Dont know if I'd go kicker that early though, but I wouldnt complain.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:

Disagree. Worse QBs have garnered more. The bigger question is will SF trade him, or cut him out of respect?
Without letting this degenrate into the " can we get something for Alex thread" ...

I am really big on Swope, not sure if he has the talent but that kid has a lot of fire...would be psyched to get him as a 6th rounder.

Also, I wouldnt bring Moss back, he has been a nice addition this year, but I just dont see the onfield value. I value the mentoring etc...but that job is now done.