LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

2013 Defensive Line Prospects (DE, DT, and NT)

Could be a good pick for the 49ers in this year's draft

Bennie Logan - DL - LSU

Ive liked him for all year. Long arms, athletic with great technique he could be a great 3rd pick if he can play 5 tec he can.definitely play the 3 tec in the nickel.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Do you guys care if we draft DL in the 1st round or not?

Yes, I want them to get a big, strong nasty defensive lineman with their first pick, then another one with their second pick. Then, maybe a fast safety to compete with Whitner assuming they keep Goldon by any means necessary. This draft is deep with defensive line and safety talent.

Call me crazy, but I doubt we'll draft 2 D-Linemen with back to back picks.

We drafted 2 O-Linemen with back to back picks...
Originally posted by Butter:
Here is the reality, the Niners do not have a starting NT signed on their roster right now, unless they want to roll with Ian Williams. In addition, Smith and McDonald are great, but they both have serious mileage on their bodies. It is possible that the Niners can shore up their depth in FA, but they also need to start positioning themselves for the future (see Steelers and Casey Hampton).

The one factor that should impact that decision is BPA. If there just is not value at 31, and they see a CB or WR who is a clearly ranked higher on their big board, the #1 pick should always be based on overall value. But I think they will have some good options at DL.

I agree 100%
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

That was a totally different circumstance. I don't disagree with idea of back to back dline pick but I think the front office needs to be a little morr intelligent than that. We don't need to flood a position. We need to b smart and get as much value out of each pick as possible.
Originally posted by eonblue:

That was a totally different circumstance. I don't disagree with idea of back to back dline pick but I think the front office needs to be a little morr intelligent than that. We don't need to flood a position. We need to b smart and get as much value out of each pick as possible.

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Would love to have a Boiler on the team. Kawann Short please. Plus he's a beast.

Personally, I still like Kawann Short.

of all the NT this kid impressed me in the tape he is always in the backfield lets get him
dion jordan is undergoing surgery to repair a torn labrum and is expected to be sidelined 3-4 month! do you think he is gonna slip a lot because of this?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
of all the NT this kid impressed me in the tape he is always in the backfield lets get him

Kwame weighed 299 lbs at the combine. He dropped weight before the Senior Bowl and then more before the combine.

It seems clear that he is focusing on being a 4-3 defensive tackle.

• buck
  • Veteran
Mike Mayock unveils the second edition of his position-by-position draft prospect rankings for the 2013 NFL Draft.

3-4 Defensive End

1. Star Lotulelei, Utah
2. Margus Hunt, SMU
3. Datone Jones, UCLA
4. Jesse Williams, Alabama
5. William Gholston, Michigan State

Defensive Tackle

1. Sharrif Floyd, Florida
2. Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
3. Sylvester Williams, North Carolina
4. Kawann Short, Purdue
5. Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State

Mayock did NOT give a list of 3-4 defensive tackles

For the full list
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000146289/article/mike-mayock-alters-position-rankings-for-2013-nfl-draft
[ Edited by buck on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:

I get bored, so I will never give up guessing what Baalke will do in a draft, but I certainly don't think I will guess correctly. If he sees BPA at DL two picks in a row, I can't imagine he won't go there, especially if we only have Ian Williams at NT come April 25th. He said they like their depth at DL, so maybe he sees something in Dobbs, Tuku, and Jerrod-Eddie, or maybe he's just lying because it is Draft season. I don't think he will do 1-2 on DL (in fact, I thought all of the pre-draft rumors about him going 1a-1b on OL in 2010 was smoke) , but I certainly can't rule it out.
Originally posted by buck:

Kwame weighed 299 lbs at the combine. He dropped weight before the Senior Bowl and then more before the combine.

Kwame sighting!
Originally posted by buck:

I'm not worried he can gain it back
I get bored, so I will never give up guessing what Baalke will do in a draft, but I certainly don't think I will guess correctly. If he sees BPA at DL two picks in a row, I can't imagine he won't go there, especially if we only have Ian Williams at NT come April 25th. He said they like their depth at DL, so maybe he sees something in Dobbs, Tuku, and Jerrod-Eddie, or maybe he's just lying because it is Draft season. I don't think he will do 1-2 on DL (in fact, I thought all of the pre-draft rumors about him going 1a-1b on OL in 2010 was smoke) , but I certainly can't rule it out.

Our oline was in the top 5 of sacks given at the time we drafted Staley/Davis so it made since from a statistical standpoint to strengthen that area andAlex Smith is not instinctual. He needs time in the pocket to think and he doesn't respond well to pressure. When the Baalke Oline came together Smith was 100% more efficient. It really was a genius move. Our dline isn't in shambles. We may lack quality depth but essentially only have 2 positions to fill LDE and RDE. If we resign RJF and draft one of the stud DE in the early rounds that Harbaugh feels good about we should be fine. Grab one of the mammoth NT in the 3rd-4th round and sign a vet when FA starts.
[ Edited by eonblue on Mar 1, 2013 at 5:47 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone