LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 386 users in the forums

Mid Season-1st Round Pick Poll

Mid Season-1st Round Pick Poll

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sachie23:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Justin Smith is still playing at an elite level, but he isn't as explosive as last year. There's no way around his age. And next year he'll be one year older. Plus Ray MacDonald hasn't played to the level he played last year.

Add that to the fact that Jenkins and James will essentially be rookies next year, it makes a lot of sense to go DE / OLB or OLB / DE with the first 2 picks.

Goldson's play has been very good for the last 2 seasons. I doubt we let him walk, but I guess we'll have to choose between him and Bowman
Yep, I think they're going to go D early and often. Need help/depth at safety, dline and possibly OLB

Technically we choose between Goldson and any combination of these playersGoodwin / Akers / Whitner / even Rogers or Whitner.

Bowman is under contract for another year and then there is the franchise tag after that. Goldson is free agent this year, we have luxury of offering an extension to Bowman but IIRC Baalke offers extensions to players at the beginning of their final year of their deal / lets them test FA before offering his max deal to see if they'll stay.

it'll be interesting to see who gets what but IMHO bowman doesnt get an offer until training camp is done.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Justin Smith is still playing at an elite level, but he isn't as explosive as last year. There's no way around his age. And next year he'll be one year older. Plus Ray MacDonald hasn't played to the level he played last year.

Add that to the fact that Jenkins and James will essentially be rookies next year, it makes a lot of sense to go DE / OLB or OLB / DE with the first 2 picks.

Goldson's play has been very good for the last 2 seasons. I doubt we let him walk, but I guess we'll have to choose between him and Bowman

What is this whole fad about everyone saying our players are losing their "explosiveness." First Aldon wasn't explosive anymore because he only had 4.5 sacks in 5 games. Then he got 2 sacks against the Cardinals and all of a sudden he's explosive again. As for Justin Smith, in the 2011-2012 season, he was 32 years old. He was 32 until just about one month ago. He decided to lose a step in a month because he turned a certain age? He's not getting sacks because teams are now triple teaming him with 2 linemen and a running back. We're #1 in Total Defense for a reason, and it's not because Justin Smith lost a step.
I voted DE because we need to groom Justin'r replacement, the Dline needs a better rotation and we need to keep maintaining pressure on opposing QB's.

I feel Ray Mac has not been playing as well this season. If the coaches are so high on Dobbs, Tukufu [sp] and Ian Williams then why don't they get on the field more?
Originally posted by jreff22:
we have 3 mill right now for next year which isnt enough to sign the rookie class by itself.....we cant afford 8+ to franchise Goldson

the numbers arent there

Agree to disagree. We will have to make them work. If it means extending a few guys and re-working their numbers to free up money for next year than so be it. If it means cutting or re-working Goodwin (who is playing very well) than so be it. If it means losing a few so-so players like Gooden, Brock, McBath, Dixon, etc and replacing them with rookies than I go for it. I just think it would be a mistake to let Goldson go and I just don't see it happening. Maybe after next year but not now. I could see the team looking much different next year with all the rookies and free agents we have.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
we have 3 mill right now for next year which isnt enough to sign the rookie class by itself.....we cant afford 8+ to franchise Goldson

the numbers arent there

Agree to disagree. We will have to make them work. If it means extending a few guys and re-working their numbers to free up money for next year than so be it. If it means cutting or re-working Goodwin (who is playing very well) than so be it. If it means losing a few so-so players like Gooden, Brock, McBath, Dixon, etc and replacing them with rookies than I go for it. I just think it would be a mistake to let Goldson go and I just don't see it happening. Maybe after next year but not now. I could see the team looking much different next year with all the rookies and free agents we have.
Problem is even cutting those guys you mentioned wont create enough space. Goldson will HAVE to give a discount, something I dont expect from him.....I think he hits the 10 mill mark or will seek that much.
Originally posted by sachie23:

Yep, I think they're going to go D early and often. Need help/depth at safety, dline and possibly OLB
I realize I'm alone in my wish to upgrade the offense, including at running back, one that's big (like Gore), around 225 lbs, that also has breakaway speed. That's what it would take to replace Gore as the starter. The offense is still behind the defense regarding production. So upgrades there are still necessary IMO prior to getting depth in the defense, particularly is Goldson re-signs. Some will say that LMJ is the guy, but I doubt he has the size to break through the line regularly as Frank does. Only thing is Frank can't win races to the end zone. If the Niners had one who could, the offense becomes not only good but dangerous.
FS

I don't see Goldson coming back next year.
Kiper has in his early draft preview, us taking Sheldon Richardson, Missouri DL.

San Francisco 49ers

Top emerging needs: DL, TE, S
Analysis: The 49ers may have fewer immediate needs than any team in the NFL. They get good play at every level on defense, block in the run game as well as any team in the NFL and consistently give Alex Smith time to throw. Wide receiver is no longer a major concern for me. And with Smith's improvement, they're out of the rut of always wondering if they need to look for a promise at QB, or hope Colin Kaepernick is nearly ready. I'd target the defensive interior, where Justin Smith is still very good, but is entering his mid-30s. As well, they might have a hole at safety if they can't afford to keep Dashon Goldson. Tight end could also be an area to look at. Vernon Davis is excellent, but they could complement him -- I liked the idea of taking Coby Fleener instead of A.J. Jenkins, for instance.

Drafting tomorrow: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri

• mayo49
  • Veteran
We like really need a true #1 reciever, people.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Kiper has in his early draft preview, us taking Sheldon Richardson, Missouri DL.

San Francisco 49ers

Top emerging needs: DL, TE, S
Analysis: The 49ers may have fewer immediate needs than any team in the NFL. They get good play at every level on defense, block in the run game as well as any team in the NFL and consistently give Alex Smith time to throw. Wide receiver is no longer a major concern for me. And with Smith's improvement, they're out of the rut of always wondering if they need to look for a promise at QB, or hope Colin Kaepernick is nearly ready. I'd target the defensive interior, where Justin Smith is still very good, but is entering his mid-30s. As well, they might have a hole at safety if they can't afford to keep Dashon Goldson. Tight end could also be an area to look at. Vernon Davis is excellent, but they could complement him -- I liked the idea of taking Coby Fleener instead of A.J. Jenkins, for instance.

Drafting tomorrow: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri

I just did a first round mock with us taking Richardson, but I never agree with Kiper.

Guess, I will have to change my pick.

Originally posted by Gore_21:

the numbers arent there

Problem is even cutting those guys you mentioned wont create enough space. Goldson will HAVE to give a discount, something I dont expect from him.....I think he hits the 10 mill mark or will seek that much.

If we tag him he will be at 7.5 million and if he doesn't sign a long term deal he would have to sign it or hold out and hope someone would trade for him otherwise he sits until he signs it. He could very well up his offer and I agree with you he might want more than 8 after this year. And I would agree he isn't the type to take a discount. If he wants more than 40 million we probably have to let him go. That being said imo no matter what he wants long term I don't see us not tagging him and at least getting one more year out of him. It won't matter if he wants 5 years 40, 45, or 50 million because tagging him this year he would be locked in at 7.5 mil. Then we worry about him after next year and try to negotiate with him again, maybe a 4 year deal then or just let him go. I think we could see a lot of rookies replacing guys to save money. Might do some trading down as well and acquire future higher picks to save money as well.
I would love to have Bjoern Werner...in 2011 he played heavier and I think he could be a Justin Smith-in-training.

Now had you asked who should we have taken in the 1st round of the past draft (2012), I would have said Coby Fleener... But if you know me from another forum, you already knew that.
Share 49ersWebzone