There are 63 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mid Season-1st Round Pick Poll

Mid Season-1st Round Pick Poll

Going off of what you think the biggest need is or will be, what would you target today?

The Quarter Season Poll results:
  • FS 18%
  • OLB 33%
  • C/OG 0%
  • WR 5%
  • TE 8%
  • DE 25%
  • NT 13%
  • RB 0%

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/167919-quarter-season-1st-round-pick-poll/
Originally posted by jreff22:
Going off of what you think the biggest need is or will be, what would you target today?

The Quarter Season Poll results:
  • FS 18%
  • OLB 33%
  • C/OG 0%
  • WR 5%
  • TE 8%
  • DE 25%
  • NT 13%
  • RB 0%

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/167919-quarter-season-1st-round-pick-poll/

One drafts for a player to make an impact and hopefully be a full time starter within 2-3 years. I love justing Smith, but he is getting up in the years. To draft his replacement, and have him mentor the kid would be awesome. This is of course assuming DE is BPA.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
DE - Unless Goldson walks then it shifts to FS.
Originally posted by 9erred:
One drafts for a player to make an impact and hopefully be a full time starter within 2-3 years. I love justing Smith, but he is getting up in the years. To draft his replacement, and have him mentor the kid would be awesome. This is of course assuming DE is BPA.

Although I strongly agree I dont see THAT kid being in this years draft. I dont want a kid for the sake of having one. Nobody has stood out IMO.
Don't really see the results shifting too much. I'm still stuck on FS if no Goldson or DE with OLB being a long shot. I think a big tall physical WR will rise up the boards on our wants especially if Moss and/or Ginn are not back. Very unlikely we pick one in the 1st though. An underdog for the 1st would be if Sopoaga walks, they re-sign RJF as our DE backup and draft a NT. RJF really hasn't been in much at DE. He does come in on 4 down lineman as a DT I believe though. I wonder what they envision him as? Also, wonder if they think Williams can be NT if RJF is DE and Sopoaga leaves?

P.S. I don't see us letting Goldson go this year. If we have to spend an extra 1.25 mil this year and tag him we do it. As long as he doesn't hold out he should be back with us for at least next year. So we could draft a guy hoping to groom him but might be unlikely so I am thinking FS is out because like I said I think Goldson is back for at least next year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 30, 2012 at 6:44 PM ]
why is most so pressed about getting an olb
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Although I strongly agree I dont see THAT kid being in this years draft. I dont want a kid for the sake of having one. Nobody has stood out IMO.

I think there is one possible suspect--Sheldon Richardson, from Missouri of all places.

He could be available at the end of the first round. He is a red shirt senior, so he could enter the draft this year.

Apparently, he is a strong, relentless beast.

He has the size to play 3-4 defensive end. He is 6-3 and weighs almost 300 lbs.

Had a monster game, 14 tackles, 1 sack, and 1 tackle for loss.
[ Edited by buck on Oct 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM ]
Originally posted by NYS49er:

A team can always use more pass rushers.

Haralson could be cut to save roster space. He is making like 2.5 or so and coming off an injury. Darius Fleming also coming off a torn ACL which is hard to come back from. Not sure we know what we will get from him. If Haralson is back it might not be too big of a need but if he isn't we might need a 3rd OLB. Someone who can give breathers to Aldon and Brooks. I know there have been times this year when we really missed Haralson and it cost us. Doubt it's a 1st round need. Maybe 3rd ish or later if Haralson isn't back. Could be a luxury pick if Goldson and everyone we want is back. And yes you can never have enough pass rushers. If someone goes down and even if Haralson is back to full strength he is a good run defender but doesn't offer much in pass rushing and coverage.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 30, 2012 at 7:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
P.S. I don't see us letting Goldson go this year. If we have to spend an extra 1.25 mil this year and tag him we do it. As long as he doesn't hold out he should be back with us for at least next year. So we could draft a guy hoping to groom him but might be unlikely so I am thinking FS is out because like I said I think Goldson is back for at least next year.
we have 3 mill right now for next year which isnt enough to sign the rookie class by itself.....we cant afford 8+ to franchise Goldson

the numbers arent there

If Aldon or Brooks go down, you comfortable with Haggans? I'm not. And no clue if Cam or Fleming with be anything special. Fleming is coming off a torn ACL (everyone always says it takes 2 years to get back to normal pre-injury) and Cam can't even make the roster when we needed depth. You can never have to many pass rushers.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Haralson could be cut to save roster space. He is making like 2.5 or so and coming off an injury. Darius Fleming also coming off a torn ACL which is hard to come back from. Not sure we know what we will get from him. If Haralson is back it might not be too big of a need but if he isn't we might need a 3rd OLB. Someone who can give breathers to Aldon and Brooks. I know there have been times this year when we really missed Haralson and it cost us. Doubt it's a 1st round need. Maybe 3rd ish or later if Haralson isn't back. Could be a luxury pick if Goldson and everyone we want is back. And yes you can never have enough pass rushers. If someone goes down and even if Haralson is back to full strength he is a good run defender but doesn't offer much in pass rushing and coverage.
Didn't read this before I posted. But you nailed it 100%.
Justin Smith is still playing at an elite level, but he isn't as explosive as last year. There's no way around his age. And next year he'll be one year older. Plus Ray MacDonald hasn't played to the level he played last year.

Add that to the fact that Jenkins and James will essentially be rookies next year, it makes a lot of sense to go DE / OLB or OLB / DE with the first 2 picks.

Goldson's play has been very good for the last 2 seasons. I doubt we let him walk, but I guess we'll have to choose between him and Bowman
Have a new mock draft up, 2 round, full NFL.

http://www.draftwatchers.com/2013-Mock/3-3rd-2013-Mock-Draft.html

Have us with TJ McDonald and Sylvester Williams in rd 1 and 2.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Justin Smith is still playing at an elite level, but he isn't as explosive as last year. There's no way around his age. And next year he'll be one year older. Plus Ray MacDonald hasn't played to the level he played last year.

Add that to the fact that Jenkins and James will essentially be rookies next year, it makes a lot of sense to go DE / OLB or OLB / DE with the first 2 picks.

Goldson's play has been very good for the last 2 seasons. I doubt we let him walk, but I guess we'll have to choose between him and Bowman
Yep, I think they're going to go D early and often. Need help/depth at safety, dline and possibly OLB