LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

The Premature Todd Gurley '14 Thread

If we have top 15 we have to take one of the WRs - whether Amari Cooper, Kevin White, DeVante Parker, or even Dorial Green-Beckham (not that I can see us taking such a high profile risk pick this year.)

For D-line we have always trusted Tomsula to develop guys, and we can give Carradine and Dial more of a chance this coming year. (But I'm not completely against us using a high pick on D-line.)

I really think our DBs can be developed, depending who comes back, and Baalke sees it as a strength of his not to need to use high picks on CBs, so I don't think we go there.

For LBs, if we are sticking with similar approach, I don't see us using a high pick.

OL - I think we give Thomas a chance, along with Marcus Martin and Kilgore (whichever doesn't play center, to fill any gaps. (Left Guard.)

RB - I think we continue to pick RBs lower down the draft, nearly every year. Same can probably be said of QB.

TE - Beyond going with the WR/TE hybrid type like Funchess I can't see us going with any TE in first few rounds.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Gurley turns out great - but if we turn down another chance of a top WR, especially for a injury risk RB, we definitely have the wrong people in the war room.
Originally posted by mrwoodz:
If we have top 15 we have to take one of the WRs - whether Amari Cooper, Kevin White, DeVante Parker, or even Dorial Green-Beckham (not that I can see us taking such a high profile risk pick this year.)

For D-line we have always trusted Tomsula to develop guys, and we can give Carradine and Dial more of a chance this coming year. (But I'm not completely against us using a high pick on D-line.)

I really think our DBs can be developed, depending who comes back, and Baalke sees it as a strength of his not to need to use high picks on CBs, so I don't think we go there.

For LBs, if we are sticking with similar approach, I don't see us using a high pick.

OL - I think we give Thomas a chance, along with Marcus Martin and Kilgore (whichever doesn't play center, to fill any gaps. (Left Guard.)

RB - I think we continue to pick RBs lower down the draft, nearly every year. Same can probably be said of QB.

TE - Beyond going with the WR/TE hybrid type like Funchess I can't see us going with any TE in first few rounds.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Gurley turns out great - but if we turn down another chance of a top WR, especially for a injury risk RB, we definitely have the wrong people in the war room.

This...I think they go WR/DL early. baalke doesn't have a ton of picks like in the past to burn on a injured player.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
no thanks 2 any high round pick of any RB .... we are in despite need of help on tha D-line ... RB'z are eazy to find in tha late roundz ... maybe that Duke kid outta tha U he'z kinda growin on me but in tha 3rd ...

Not me, I am not touching the D until the O is fixed, top priority. We have to regain our dominance with the run game, I am not playing Russell Wilson with Lynch and Gordon in the backfield, period !
Originally posted by NYniner85:
This...I think they go WR/DL early. baalke doesn't have a ton of picks like in the past to burn on a injured player.

Wouldn't say no to a stud O-line prospect either. We couldn't run the ball consistently, and couldn't pass protect for more than a 3 step drop.....
I don't doubt Leonard Williams will go high...but picking at #15 is a heckuva lot better in terms of potential deal-making than near the end of the draft. If we don't get Williams then maybe Eddie Goldman (FSU). What I know is minus Ray Mac and potentially Justin Smith, those are huge holes to fill. I hope Carradine's the guy to replace one of 'em, but he'll have to step up big-time. I like Jerrod-Edie in the rotation...not sure he's starter material. Fangio needs a real disrupter.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I don't doubt Leonard Williams will go high...but picking at #15 is a heckuva lot better in terms of potential deal-making than near the end of the draft. If we don't get Williams then maybe Eddie Goldman (FSU). What I know is minus Ray Mac and potentially Justin Smith, those are huge holes to fill. I hope Carradine's the guy to replace one of 'em, but he'll have to step up big-time. I like Jerrod-Edie in the rotation...not sure he's starter material. Fangio needs a real disrupter.

Goldman got taken to school by Oregon's O-line. I'm not sure he brings anything Dial doesn't bring...

With the obscene RB talent in this draft, Gurley could fall all the way to the middle of the 2nd. Or even the end of the 2nd! And I absolutely want the Niners to take him. He wouldn't have to play right away, but he'd be a great investment IMO.

I also wouldn't be opposed to taking T.J. Yeldon in the 2nd.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jan 7, 2015 at 4:56 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Thanks, but no thanks. No more ACL players. Our man is Melvin Gordon.

I'd cream my pants if we got Melvin.
Very hard for a team to invest a first rounder on a RB, let alone a guy who might not take the field in 2015. I think the earliest he goes is mid-late second round.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Thanks, but no thanks. No more ACL players. Our man is Melvin Gordon.

I'd cream my pants if we got Melvin.

And so you should.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I just have this feeling that if Baalke isn't able to take Florida's (DE) Fowler, I think he'll be trading down.. and since we really have no clue on Hyde, and Gore being a quarter player only, I think it would not be too bad if we land Gurley.

Don't get me wrong tho, I still think that DL is the best way to go..

Originally posted by Diaperfan:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Wouldn't say no to a stud O-line prospect either. We couldn't run the ball consistently, and couldn't pass protect for more than a 3 step drop.....

Honestly I think the O-line when healthy in the right system will be fine. Like you said they couldn't pass protect, so why would Roman call for all these 3 and 4 wr sets? They had basically the same line (when healthy) back in 2012 when they were the 11th ranked offense, what happened? Play calling and injury.

Here is how I see the O-line in 2015

Staley- great LT
B Thomas-was a stud in college and would have went higher in draft if he didn't tear ACL
Kilgore- Was the most reliable player on the line, is a good center.
Boone- Started off god awful but finally put together some good tape towards the end of the season
Davis-Wasn't healthy all year

M Martin- could make the push for center or guard over Thomas. could be good if we went to a zone-blocking scheme.

Like to draft a backup lineman who can play OT/G, don't think they need to spend a 1st on that.

I think the O-line starters played maybe one game together? They will be fine once healthy and hopefully the next HC runs a zone-blocking scheme

oh and get J Martin out of here
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
By the way...

is Gurley's knee injury as bad as Gore was.. or even as bad as Dallas' Murphy??

damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.... i remember wanting to draft Murphy!!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Very hard for a team to invest a first rounder on a RB, let alone a guy who might not take the field in 2015. I think the earliest he goes is mid-late second round.

I was just about to ask this question. He is incredibly talented, but I just don't see a team taking an injured RB in the first round. Given the RB talen in the draft, I can actually see him falling into the 3rd or the 4th.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Gurley at worst will be a 2nd rounder...

I would hate for Seattle to take a ticket on this guy...
He will be Seattle's first round pick, not ours. I'm personally hoping he doesn't. I think his best fit besides here and Seattle would be in Atlanta.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Jan 9, 2015 at 4:34 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone