There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Early mock offseason

Re-sign:

FS- Dashon Goldson 5 yrs (He is a valuable piece to our dominant D)
TE- Delanie Walker 3 yrs. Walker's value is worth more to this team that what he will get on the open market.
NT- Ricky Jean Francois 3 yrs. I think we can get him on the cheap side like we did with Boone and Spillman and I think he can be as good as Sopoago and much cheaper
RG- Leonard Davis 1 yr
MLB- Larry Grant 2 yrs
MLB- Tavares Gooden 2 yrs

Extend:

DE- Justin Smith 3 yrs
SS- Donte Whitner 4 yrs
C- Jonathan Goodwin 2 yrs
K- David Akers 4 yrs

*Navarro Bowman, Tarell Brown, Mario Manningham and Kyle Williams will all be FA's after the 2014 season. Bowman is guaranteed to be back. All the others are question marks.

Lose:

NT- Issac Sopoago (Love the guy but we have a young guy on the roster that can do what he can. Unless he is willing to take a massive pay cut, I cant see him being back)
WR- Randy Moss (He is not needed with AJ Jenkins on the roster)
WR- Ted Ginn (He is not needed with Kyle Williams on the roster)
RB- Brandon Jacobs

Draft:


Since we have literally no holes I decided to think up a few trade up scenerios. re-sign our own and build through the draft is our philosophy.

1. (22) CB- David Amerson, NC State (6'3, 195)

**Trade up with San Diego for the 22nd overall pick for our 32nd overall pick and Carolina's 3rd round pick

Tarell Brown is a free agent after the 2013 season and Rogers and Cullivers deal's are up a season after. Culliver will be back and he will team with Amerson to form the leagues best CB tandem. Year in and year out, you can never have enough corners.

2. (51) DE- Corneilus 'Tank' Carradine, FSU (6'5, 265)

**Trade up with Denver to the 51st pick for our 64th overall and our 4th round pick

Like corners, you can never have enough pass rushers. Carradine is a dominant pass rusher with 7 sacks in 5 games so far in '12.

3. (94) WR- Aaron Dobson, WR, Baylor (6'3, 200)

Dobson has the tools to be a nice redzone weopon to replace Randy Moss.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Oct 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM ]
and the rest of our picks?
Can't comment on the draft part because I haven't started looking into that yet but as for the FA's no problem with what you did but to me extending 4 players on top of re-signing those 6 guys might be a bit overly optimistic for 1 off-season. Plus I think those extensions might be a bit on the long side. Goodwin could very well be asked to take a paycut to stay. Don't think we sign him for 2 more years. Akers we have for 1 more year and he will be 38 soon. So that means he will be 39 when is contract runs out. You want 4 more years on top of that which equals 43 before it's up. I love the guy but that's too much. I could see us re-doing Justin's deal who we have for one more year. Maybe lowering the base to save cap room and adding another year or two to it. Everything else I really have no problem with except not sure LD is back... Looney could take his role.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Can't comment on the draft part because I haven't started looking into that yet but as for the FA's no problem with what you did but to me extending 4 players on top of re-signing those 6 guys might be a bit overly optimistic for 1 off-season. Plus I think those extensions might be a bit on the long side. Goodwin could very well be asked to take a paycut to stay. Don't think we sign him for 2 more years. Akers we have for 1 more year and he will be 38 soon. So that means he will be 39 when is contract runs out. You want 4 more years on top of that which equals 43 before it's up. I love the guy but that's too much. I could see us re-doing Justin's deal who we have for one more year. Maybe lowering the base to save cap room and adding another year or two to it. Everything else I really have no problem with except not sure LD is back... Looney could take his role.

Thing is the cap, extending Akers and Whitner, plus Smith is a key, saves over 10M in cap room. I wouldn't do 4yr more of Akers, maybe 4 yr total at most. He is dependable, and I would do higher in 2014, so it's easy to get our in last year if he decides to retire or is bad.

Goodwin for 2 yrs is fine, I would hope it';s lower salaries, we need to groom someone new.

I hope these re-signings happen

Walker
Sopoaga or RJF
Grant
Gooden
L.Davis

Goldson if affordable

Extend

Justin
Whittner
Akers

Let go of Haralson and maybe Goodwin if he wont lower salary.
Yeah, ab I know extending some of those guys would lower there cap but I would go no more than 1-2 plus the 1 akers has left. 4 plus the 1 is way too many IMO. Justin to me 3 +1 might be too long. Also, IMO just seems like it would be tough to extend 4 guys in one offseason plus work on getting those 6 FAs back even. I guess we could work on our FAs from Feb until FA starts and then work on the extensions/re-doing the deals after the draft or after free agency starts. I would think our FAs are 1st priority and then re-doing deals is second but that being said maybe we need to work on extensions/re-doing deals to free up room to sign our own FAs before FA starts in early March. If so doesn't give us much time late January/Feb to early March to extend 3-4 guys then work on our own FAs. Either way I have faith in them and they got a lot accomplished last year. Look how things turned out after early on it seemed like we would lose a bunch of our guys.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
and the rest of our picks?
TIME TO CRITICIZE FOR NOT HAVING MARCUS DAVIS ON HIS MOCK!!!!! lol.

Oh and for the mock, AB and Jreff22 have heard me say this so many times that they're probably sick of reading it but I dont see a top corner like David Amerson making past OAK, DET, and GB. not to mention teams like Minny or teams with aging corners like DEN(Bailey) and Cleveland(S.Brown). MAybe even the Colts go CB as they rebuild. I see your logic though and love for that to work because they truly would dominate.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Originally posted by jreff22:
and the rest of our picks?
TIME TO CRITICIZE FOR NOT HAVING MARCUS DAVIS ON HIS MOCK!!!!! lol.

Oh and for the mock, AB and Jreff22 have heard me say this so many times that they're probably sick of reading it but I dont see a top corner like David Amerson making past OAK, DET, and GB. not to mention teams like Minny or teams with aging corners like DEN(Bailey) and Cleveland(S.Brown). MAybe even the Colts go CB as they rebuild. I see your logic though and love for that to work because they truly would dominate.

Right now I dont see Amerson before the top 10 picks. He is as good as Morris Claiborne, and he went real early to Dallas. So I agree.

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yeah, ab I know extending some of those guys would lower there cap but I would go no more than 1-2 plus the 1 akers has left. 4 plus the 1 is way too many IMO. Justin to me 3 +1 might be too long. Also, IMO just seems like it would be tough to extend 4 guys in one offseason plus work on getting those 6 FAs back even. I guess we could work on our FAs from Feb until FA starts and then work on the extensions/re-doing the deals after the draft or after free agency starts. I would think our FAs are 1st priority and then re-doing deals is second but that being said maybe we need to work on extensions/re-doing deals to free up room to sign our own FAs before FA starts in early March. If so doesn't give us much time late January/Feb to early March to extend 3-4 guys then work on our own FAs. Either way I have faith in them and they got a lot accomplished last year. Look how things turned out after early on it seemed like we would lose a bunch of our guys.

I do agree, it may be tough to do all those deals. I just worry cap wise, thats my big thing, I want to keep our core intact.
Amerson has been extremely disappointing this year, according to Sis Tony Pauline
Aaron Dobson.... Do Not Want
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Re-sign:

FS- Dashon Goldson 5 yrs (He is a valuable piece to our dominant D)
TE- Delanie Walker 3 yrs. Walker's value is worth more to this team that what he will get on the open market.
NT- Ricky Jean Francois 3 yrs. I think we can get him on the cheap side like we did with Boone and Spillman and I think he can be as good as Sopoago and much cheaper
RG- Leonard Davis 1 yr
MLB- Larry Grant 2 yrs
MLB- Tavares Gooden 2 yrs

Have you seen our salary cap situation?

1. Not enough money to re-sign Goldson
2. Walker isn't that good.
3. Re-sign RJF. Soap walks
4. Davis retires
5. Grant gets a starting job somewhere else.
6. Don't really have a strong opinion on Gooden
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Have you seen our salary cap situation?

1. Not enough money to re-sign Goldson
2. Walker isn't that good.
3. Re-sign RJF. Soap walks
4. Davis retires
5. Grant gets a starting job somewhere else.
6. Don't really have a strong opinion on Gooden

As stated before, if we extend our own players listed then we will have 18 mil or so of cap space. Throw in another 2.5 from Haralson's deal and we are sitting around 20+ million.

1- If we re-sign Goldson to a long term deal he will be much CHEAPER than he is this year. The franchise tag was 6.5 million. There is no way that the first year of his deal will be that much

2- Walker isn't that good for other teams but he is very important to our team. He will be back and he wont be that expensive. Quit looking at stats. He does other very important things for this team.

3- Agreed with this one......I have it the same way

4- You are probably right on this one. Looney should be ready to go next year anyways in a backup role.

5- Everyone said that Grant would get a starting role last year after starting a few games for us and he didn't get one look. What will change this year without even starting one game?

6- Gooden is a core special teamer. He will be back and is in-expensive.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Aaron Dobson.... Do Not Want

Care to explain why?
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Aaron Dobson.... Do Not Want

Care to explain why?

Only seen him play once, but was a complete non-factor against NFL caliber corners when he played Purdue. And I'm talking single coverage all game. In the redzone he had 1 ball thrown his way and it was yanked out with ease by the corner. Other than that, Marshall didn't even look his way in the redzone. Went mainly to their TEs. From what I saw he's not even Marshall's redzone threat.
To go along with my post about Dobson, look at his stats this year. For a team with the highest passing yards in college his stats are very meh. He had only 72 yards against a sorry WVU pass D and 1/2 that came on 1 catch of 40 yards. His stats suggest he can't even dominate versus lower competition, what would make him be able to versus NFL corners?