There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MD was right

Another monster game from Watt today. What a defensive draft class 2011 is turning out to be.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Another monster game from Watt today. What a defensive draft class 2011 is turning out to be.

Yes sir!
Originally posted by AmpLee:

Pretty happy he is on my fantasy team.
Watt is turning in one of the Bruce Smith years.
Aldon didnt get a sack today......he sucks
Originally posted by pahlerbj:

We should cut him
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by pahlerbj:

We should cut him

this
Rushing to Smith's defense: Although he did not get a sack in 65 pass attempts by Brady, one thing to note: Brady doesn't take sacks; Smith had an INT; two hits and four hurries is not bad.

Of course, everybody is compared weekly to each other, so Smith and Von Miller pale in comparison to what Watt did this week. However, there are two more weeks and games to b played, so there is still fluidity. All of that bring said, Watt is clearly the front runner.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 17, 2012 at 6:27 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Rushing to Smith's defense: Although he did not get a sack in 65 pass attempts by Brady, one thing to note: Brady doesn't take sacks; Smith had a very important tipped ball for an INT; two hits and four hurries is not bad.

Of course, everybody is compared weekly to each other, so Smith and Von Miller pale in comparison to what Watt did this week. However, there are two more weeks and games to b played, so there is still fluidity. All of that bring said, Watt is clearly the front runner.

Front runner for what? DPOY or sack title?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

DPOY. If thr numbers are close on sacks, Watt will be a runaway winner. Smith needs to post another Chicago-like game to win, in my opinion. Watt is simply superior in nearly every major category compared to Smith (tackles, tackles for loss, Passes defensed, etc.).
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

DPOY. If thr numbers are close on sacks, Watt will be a runaway winner. Smith needs to post another Chicago-like game to win, in my opinion. Watt is simply superior in nearly every major category compared to Smith (tackles, tackles for loss, Passes defensed, etc.).
Yeah, and Watt led his team to an impressive and memorable victory over the Patriots in New England two weeks ago!!! Right.

Oh, wait.

Aldon didn't have a sack last night, but did have a great game, and there were things he did that are not measured in stats. There are also things he did that Watt simply doesn't do--coverage for example, which Aldon continues to demonstrate a capacity to do very well.

I'm sure you will now agree that the Niners were right to take Aldon at #7 even though Watt was still on the board. Aldon presents a constant headache for opposing QBs and OCs, and helps the entire D play better. Watt is a great talent, but when Houston's secondary had some injuries, their entire defense struggled despite anything Watt did or didn't do. He may not even be the most valuable player on the Houston defense.

If they had drafted him instead of Aldon, Watt might have been a replacement for Justin Smith on the Niners. We saw last night that the D can still play at a very high level even with Justin Smith out, as long as they have Aldon in there to draw double teams and create mismatches.

Watt has put up some impressive stats, but I'm not sure that translates to DPOY, especially when there are others with impressive stats who also play a big role on their D and create big problems for opposing offenses irrespective of any stats.

If you read my previous post, nobody is saying that Aldon had a bad game. However, in comparison with Watt's game, it was far inferior. Since these two guys are the front runners, people are going to compare them weekly.

Watt- 10 solo tackles, 6 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 4 QB hits
Smith- 1 assisted tackle, 0 tackles for loss, 0 sacks, 1 INT, 2 QB hits

If you believe that Smith's performance last night was superior, then that is fine. I do encourage you to watch the Texans game, if it is replayed this week on the NFL network.

As for guys compiling impressive stats, nobody is arguing that are other players with nice stats. Geno Atkins has been phenomenal, Justin Smith is having another solid year, etc. However, nobody is in Watt's league right now. First in the NFL in sacks, first in the NFL in tackles for loss, first amongst all non-secondary members in deflections, second against the run for all DL according to Advacnced NFL Stats and Pro Football Focus, and thr highest graded player of all positions according to both of the previously listed sites.

Justin Smith is the benchmark for excellence as a 3-4 DE. He is second amongst all DL in tackles, with 66. Watt has 74. Justin Smith has 3 sacks, Watt has 19.5. Justin Smith has 2 passes defense, Watt 15. Smith has zero forced fumbles, Watt has three. So, even though Smith is having a fine overall year, the benchmark player has been dwarfed by Watt this year.

As for the comment that Watt does not drop back into coverage, that is not accurate. About 4 times a game he drops into coverage. This often leave two OL wondering what to do.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 17, 2012 at 12:41 PM ]
If you read my previous post, nobody is saying that Aldon had a bad game. However, in comparison with Watt's game, it was far inferior. Since these two guys are the front runners, people are going to compare them weekly.

Watt- 10 solo tackles, 6 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 4 QB hits
Smith- 1 assisted tackle, 0 tackles for loss, 0 sacks, 1 INT, 2 QB hits

If you believe that Smith's performance last night was superior, then that is fine. I do encourage you to watch the Texans game, if it is replayed this week on the NFL network.

As for guys compiling impressive stats, nobody is arguing that are other players with nice stats. Geno Atkins has been phenomenal, Justin Smith is having another solid year, etc. However, nobody is in Watt's league right now. First in the NFL in sacks, first in the NFL in tackles for loss, first amongst all non-secondary members in deflections, second against the run for all DL according to Advacnced NFL Stats and Pro Football Focus, and thr highest graded player of all positions according to both of the previously listed sites.

Justin Smith is the benchmark for excellence as a 3-4 DE. He is second amongst all DL in tackles, with 66. Watt has 74. Justin Smith has 3 sacks, Watt has 19.5. Justin Smith has 2 passes defense, Watt 15. Smith has zero forced fumbles, Watt has three. So, even though Smith is having a fine overall year, the benchmark player has been dwarfed by Watt this year.
Yeah, I read your "defense" of Aldon, which, while correct, seems like faint praise when you immediately switch back to your "Watt for DPOY" campaign.

Watt's having a great year, statistically. Aldon's not doing too badly, either.

Aldon didn't have as good a game, statistically, against the Pats, as Watt did, but the end result for Aldon's team (you remember them), was much, much better.

Frankly, last night's game appeared to be one where the leadership of the defense passed, at least in part, from Justin to Aldon. Aldon is capable of contributing to the defense in many more ways than a DE can.

If DPOY is based solely on statistics, Watt may win it.

If its based on statistics and other things, intangibles, value to a team's defense overall, then some others may get consideration, including Aldon.

Either way, my point is that Aldon has proven to be THE RIGHT SELECTION in the 2011 draft for the Niners, irrespective of whether Watt was still available or not. That won't change if Watt wins some individual award at the end of the year.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Either way, my point is that Aldon has proven to be THE RIGHT SELECTION in the 2011 draft for the Niners, irrespective of whether Watt was still available or not. That won't change if Watt wins some individual award at the end of the year.

yeah even if you make the argument that Aldon was a reach (which i agree it was), after his analysis Baalke felt like it was worth the risk to have high him higher on his big board and to make the call to get him.

I don't believe he got lucky.
While MD was certainly right about JJ Watt being a force, he was wrong on his assessment of Smith. But what I'm most excited about was how wrong he was about Kaep. This guy looks to have the tools to be a dominant force at the QB position for years to come. He's got elite size, speed, arm strength. Coupled with intelligence, accuracy, leadership, and humbleness, this guy could be the steal of the draft. I'm really surprised since RGIII and Cam Newton garnered the exact same superlatives, and that we were fortunate enough to land Kaep in the second round. What a home-run. Looks like Baalke knew what he was doing after all.