There are 153 users in the forums

MD was right

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
All argument aside, how amazing is it that Von Miller, JJ Watt, & Aldon Smith all came out of the same draft? Sweet Jesus! I know it's early in their careers and who knows if injury/ability will allow them to sustain this, but has there ever been a trio of Front 7 players that have been this good through their first 2 seasons?

should of traded a whole future draft class and gone after Watt
just to make sure.. we're saying we wish we would have gone after a different player than the one who in his first year as a starter, second in the league, has tied the sack team record with a few games to go.. and that same player we wish we would had gotten someone else for has arrived at 30 sacks quicker than everyone to ever play the game, except for 2 others. Cool story, bro. Only in the webzone.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
This argument is ridiculous. Either guy is a force. If someone would have told you before the draft Aldon Smith would be threatening to break the single season sack record in his second year, while passing Reggie White's two year sack mark and breaking Fred Dean's single season Niner's mark, all the while playing terrific defense against the run and good against the pass, he would have been the number one pick in the draft without question. Either guy has had a hall-of-fame start to their careers. Are we really arguing which potential HOFer is better? Let's not forget Aldon is still on the raw side and has more upside than either Watt or Miller.
Good points all. Especially like your last point. Aldon has made great strides in coverage this season, and looks like he will be a great OLB for a long, long time. Playing alongside Justin Smith has helped him, but he has shown great pass rush ability when he rushes from the other side as well.

Watt is a great talent, and is having a great year, statistically. Frankly, though, I couldn't care less about him cuz he's not playing for the Niners. Yeah, he can be fun to watch, especially if Houston is playing a hated Niner rival--Seattle or Dallas or NY--but otherwise, I can't see any reason to constantly praise him or lead his campaign for DPOY on this board. Anyone with that in mind should take it to the Houston fans' website.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
All argument aside, how amazing is it that Von Miller, JJ Watt, & Aldon Smith all came out of the same draft? Sweet Jesus! I know it's early in their careers and who knows if injury/ability will allow them to sustain this, but has there ever been a trio of Front 7 players that have been this good through their first 2 seasons?
That is quite remarkable.
Hopefully after all of the debate about Watt and Smith will lead us to pick the next super quality player coming out this year and get him on the 49ers. Hopefully one of those players will be a WR.
Watt had one sack taken away from him earlier this season when it was deemed about a month after the fact that Ryan Tannehill was attempting a run play and not a pass play.

However, Watt may pick up a sack down the road for a play this week, when he sacked Jake Locker for a second time on a fourth down inside the Texans red zone. Due to a fumble that happened on the play, Watt was not given a sack, but the team was credited with a "team sack". I am sure the play will be looked at, just like the Tannehill play, and Watt's number might be adjusted to 16.5 sacks and two forced fumbles.

Here is a current breakdown of the three main candidates, courtesy of Advanced NFL Stats:

Watt: 15.5 sacks; 15 pass defensed (5 for INT's); 59 tackles; 27 tackles for loss; 32 QB hits; 1 forced fumble; 0 INT
Miller: 15 sacks; 2 pass defensed; 53 tackles; 24 tackles for loss; 19 QB hits; 5 forced fumbles; 1 INT (pick six)
Smith: 17.5 sacks; 0 pass defensed; 51 tackles; 15 tackles for loss; 23 QB hits; 3 forced fumbles; 0 INT

Since Miller and Aldon Smith play similar positions, and since Justin Smith is often used as a benchmark for the best 3-4 DE in the game, here is the comparison with Watt:
Justin Smith: 3 sacks; 1 pass defensed; 59 tackles; 9 tackles for loss; 9 QB hits; 0 INT

Final note: Advanced NFL Stats also compiles more obscure stats that breaks down the impact of play on the field, including WPA, EPA, EPA/g, SC and TF. They provide a glossary to break down each stat. Watt's numbers across all of these field stats are far superior to any other defender in the league. Honestly, it is not even close. For stat geeks like myself, it is fun to break down. Take a look to see the numbers; it is fascinating.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 4, 2012 at 8:55 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Watt had one sack taken away from him earlier this season when it was deemed about a month after the fact that Ryan Tannehill was attempting a run play and not a pass play.

However, Watt may pick up a sack down the road for a play this week, when he sacked Jake Locker for a second time on a fourth down inside the Texans red zone. Due to a fumble that happened on the play, Watt was not given a sack, but the team was credited with a "team sack". I am sure the play will be looked at, just like the Tannehill play, and Watt's number might be adjusted to 16.5 sacks and two forced fumbles.

Here is a current breakdown of the three main candidates:

Watt: 15.5 sacks; 15 pass defensed (5 for INT's); 59 tackles; 27 tackles for loss; 31 QB hits; 1 forced fumble; 0 INT
Miller: 15 sacks; 2 pass defensed; 53 tackles; 24 tackles for loss; 19 QB hits; 5 forced fumbles; 1 INT (pick six)
Smith: 17.5 sacks; 0 pass defensed; 51 tackles; 15 tackles for loss; 23 QB hits; 3 forced fumbles; 0 INT

If one beats the single season sack record and the other 2 don't, that's where the dpoy award is going. Just how these things tend to work.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
If one beats the single season sack record and the other 2 don't, that's where the dpoy award is going. Just how these things tend to work.

I think that's what its gonna take for Aldon to win it. He needs 5.5 in the next 4 games. Definitely doable for him. If he gets at least 2 against Miami, I think he'll get it. It's gonna be exciting watching these 3 over the next decade.

it's sort of like Miguel Cabrera versus Mike Trout, except replace the Triple Crown with the single seasons sack record
Watt credited with an extra sack on Sunday. One behind Smith at 16.5.

• dj43
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Here is a current breakdown of the three main candidates:

Watt: 15.5 sacks; 15 pass defensed (5 for INT's); 59 tackles; 27 tackles for loss; 31 QB hits; 1 forced fumble; 0 INT

I love Aldon Smith but JJ Watt may not only be the DPOY, he is in the running for MVP. It has been a long time since any player in my memory has done what Watt has done this year. Voters are bright enough to realize that defense is more than just sacks. Watt is the most complete front 7 player in the league, and it's not close, IMO.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
I love Aldon Smith but JJ Watt may not only be the DPOY, he is in the running for MVP. It has been a long time since any player in my memory has done what Watt has done this year. Voters are bright enough to realize that defense is more than just sacks. Watt is the most complete front 7 player in the league, and it's not close, IMO.

Jarred Allen 2011: 22 sacks, 1 INT, 4 fumbles recovered, 46 tackles.

Jason Pierre-Paul 2011: 16.5 sacks, 7 PD, 2 FF, 72 tackles, 1 safety
  • dj43
Originally posted by Jcool:

Watt: 15.5 sacks; 15 pass defensed (5 for INT's); 59 tackles; 27 tackles for loss; 32 QB hits; 1 forced fumble; 0 INT (per MD)

Watt is having a better all-round year, and it is not over yet.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

Watt: 15.5 sacks; 15 pass defensed (5 for INT's); 59 tackles; 27 tackles for loss; 32 QB hits; 1 forced fumble; 0 INT (per MD)

Watt is having a better all-round year, and it is not over yet.

The statement wasn't was Watt having the better year, you said its been a long time since anyone has done what Watt has done and i showed you that wasn't true.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I don't care how good Watt is, if you can't see how special Aldon Smith is, you are crazy. In his second season, he shattered Fred Dean's record of most sacks in one season as a 49er. Not too mention, he has three games to get 3.5 sacks to break the ALL TIME FVCKING SINGLE SEASON SACK RECORD. But by all means, keep hyping JJ Watt's stats to make you feel better.

Word.
Share 49ersWebzone