LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

MD was right

Both Watt and Miller had epic games today. Two horse race at this point for DPOY going Into the last four games.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Watt, Miller & Smith had epic games today. Three way race at this point for DPOY going Into the last four games.

Fixed
[ Edited by Jcool on Dec 2, 2012 at 8:10 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Fixed

While Smith racked up another sack, to continue his league lead, Watt and Miller created some distance this week. Miller had a sack, forced fumble and pick six. Watt had a sack, forced fumble, two deflections including one that was picked, drew two holding calls, three tackles for loss and another sack on fourth down that was credited as a team sack. Epic performance. In a normal year, Smith might be the front runner, but Watt and Miller's overall play in 2012 has been off the charts.
Hey MD, Watt would have been a great pick. But if the 49ers selected him, who would have played OLB? Would they have drafted one in the later rounds that year or one last year?
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
Hey MD, Watt would have been a great pick. But if the 49ers selected him, who would have played OLB? Would they have drafted one in the later rounds that year or one last year?

They could have picked up KC's Justin Houston who was a third rounder last year, in Smith's draft. Houston has 10 sacks in 2012. The difference between Smith and Houston is sizable, but the difference between Watt and any other 3-4 DE is astronomical.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 3, 2012 at 7:14 PM ]
I think there are many fans on this board who don't understand the mindboggling numbers that Watt is posting, especially at the 3-4 DE position.

Think about the most dominating 3-4 DE's of this generation. Here is a quick list:
1. Richard Seymour
2. Justin Smith
3. Haloti Ngata
4. Aaron Smith

Please add one if I have forgotten someone else:

Let'e break each one down:
1. Seymour is probably a first ballot Hall of Famer. Taking the best of his stats from any year as a 3-4 DE in NE, here is what you get:
Best sack year (8 sacks in 2003 and 2008); Pass deflected (8 in 2003 and 2006); Tackles (57 in 2003); Stop for Loss (7 in 2002)

2. Justin Smith. Possibly a Hall of Famer some day. Taking the best of his stats from any year as a 3-4 DE in SF:
Best sack year (8.5 sacks in 2010); Pass deflected (3 in 2008); Tackles (73 in 2008); Stop for Loss (5 in 2010)

3. Haloti Ngata. Probably a Hall of Famer some day. Taking the best of his stats from any year as a 3-4 DE in Baltimore:
Best sack year (5.5 sacks in 2010); Pass deflected (5 in 2008, 2010, 2011); Tackles (64 in 2008); Stop for Loss (5 in 2008, 2009, 2010)

4. Aaron Smith- Possibly a Hall of Famer some day. Taking the best of his stats from any year as a 3-4 DE in Pittsburgh:
Best sack year (8 sacks in 2001 and 2004); Pass deflected (7 in 2003); Tackles (70 in 2002); Stop for Loss (10 in 2002)

***JJ Watt, in 12 games in only the 2012 year****
Sacks (15.5); Pass deflected (15); Tackles (59); Stop for loss (14). If Watt did not play another game in 2012, he would only be behind in one category: tackles. He would still have more sacks, deflections, and stop for loss in this year versus all of the best years of the other athletes.

He is on track to the equivalent of a QB throwing for 9,000 yards in a season, or a RB running for 3500 yards. It is that crazy. He is on pace for 20.5 sacks. We are talking about a 3-4 DE, not an edge rusher.

Updated from earlier in this thread.
I love Aldon Smith, but JJ Watt is most deserving of defensive player of the year. Possibly the most deserving ever. If he was playing for us he would be "The greatest defensive player of all timez!"
I HOPE Aldon gets the award because Im a Niner fan, I try to be unbiased as possible though and can clearly see that Watt should get it.

I dont think I'd say that I wish we had Watt over Aldon Smith because who knows if Watt would be playing like that here and I cant assume he would, its possible they still would have extended McDonald and Watt would be a backup.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Dec 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM ]
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I love Aldon Smith, but JJ Watt is most deserving of defensive player of the year. Possibly the most deserving ever. If he was playing for us he would be "The greatest defensive player of all timez!"
I HOPE Aldon gets the award because Im a Niner fan, I try to be unbiased as possible though and can clearly see that Watt should get it.

I dont think I'd say that I wish we had Watt or Smith because who knows if Watt would be playing like that here and I cant assume he would, its possible they still would have extended McDonald and Watt would be a backup.
Watt has had a great year so far, and has posted some great stats.

Aldon has posted some pretty good stats himself. He clearly belongs in any conversation about DPOY awards, along with Von Miller.

But really, that's just a conversation. Who cares who wins it--I'd much rather see the team win, and I'm guessing the players feel the same way.

To that end, I'll take Justin Smith over Watt everyday. Justin sets the standard for team play, even if it means someone else gets the recognition and the glory.

I believe the last sentence of your post is correct. As well as Watt has played this year, statistically, he would not be starting over Justin Smith on the Niners. Watt's still got some things to learn--and I'm not saying he won't learn them, but he's not quite yet on the same level as Justin Smith. IMHO.

They could have picked up KC's Justin Houston who was a third rounder last year, in Smith's draft. Houston has 10 sacks in 2012. The difference between Smith and Houston is sizable, but the difference between Watt and any other 3-4 DE is astronomical.
I love Aldon but I did want Houston in the draft badly
Originally posted by jreff22:

Yeah I thought he was gonna be good. If it werent for getting caught with weed he wouldve went much higher in the draft. I think I had him as a late first early second rounder.
He was born in Chico.

Yeah I thought he was gonna be good. If it werent for getting caught with weed he wouldve went much higher in the draft. I think I had him as a late first early second rounder.
He was born in Chico.

yep, I have a bad boy in mind for this year.........
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

I dont think I'd say that I wish we had Watt or Smith because who knows if Watt would be playing like that here and I cant assume he would, its possible they still would have extended McDonald and Watt would be a backup.
Watt has had a great year so far, and has posted some great stats.

Aldon has posted some pretty good stats himself. He clearly belongs in any conversation about DPOY awards, along with Von Miller.

But really, that's just a conversation. Who cares who wins it--I'd much rather see the team win, and I'm guessing the players feel the same way.

To that end, I'll take Justin Smith over Watt everyday. Justin sets the standard for team play, even if it means someone else gets the recognition and the glory.

I believe the last sentence of your post is correct. As well as Watt has played this year, statistically, he would not be starting over Justin Smith on the Niners. Watt's still got some things to learn--and I'm not saying he won't learn them, but he's not quite yet on the same level as Justin Smith. IMHO.

JJ Watt seems to be a total team player as well. I wouldve been stoked to have gotten him last year but after resigning McDonald we needed the help at OLB more than DE. One of my best friends is a die hard Texans fan (Houston everything) and we were talking after the draft and we both told each other that they got a great player and would be among the best defenders in the league sooner than later. No joke.

Mathieu?

Mathieu?

Da'rick Rogers

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/169141-jreff22-mock-v20-sneak-peak-finals-edition/
All argument aside, how amazing is it that Von Miller, JJ Watt, & Aldon Smith all came out of the same draft? Sweet Jesus! I know it's early in their careers and who knows if injury/ability will allow them to sustain this, but has there ever been a trio of Front 7 players that have been this good through their first 2 seasons?
Share 49ersWebzone