There are 161 users in the forums

MD was right

Maddog is one of my least liked posters, and I disagree with him often, but when it comes to Watt and Smith he is 100% correct. Our team would be better with JJ Watt than we are with Aldon Smith.

JJ Watt is going to be a HoF type player, while Aldon is going to be real good, but not the level of Watt. Barring injury of course.

Gotta give credit where it's due.
[ Edited by WINiner on Oct 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
Maddog is one of my least liked posters, and I disagree with him often, but when it comes to Watt and Smith he is 100% correct. Our team would be better with JJ Watt than we are with Aldon Smith.

JJ Watt is going to be a HoF type player, while Aldon is going to be real good, but not the level of Watt.

Gotta give credit where it's due.

Can i borrow your crystal ball for awhile???
yeah cause 18.5 sacks in 2 years isn't good enough for you...
Originally posted by Jcool:
Can i borrow your crystal ball for awhile???

My opinion.

Right now Watt is the better player. I personally don't see that changing.
you do realize that smith had to switch positions right?

throw in the fact that they've only played in 23 games so far in their young careers and i'd say you're jumping the gun on that one.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Nobody said anything about good enough. Aldon is one of my favorite Niners and is real good and I expect that to continue.
can we draft the next Watt
He was right on Watt. He also thought Beanie Wells, Adam Carriker, and Malcolm Jenkins were going to dominate in the NFL. He's wrong a lot too. Not picking on him, just saying. I doubt anyone, including MD, thought Watt would be this good.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:

Nope...Not going to have a top 15 pick anytime soon.

Nobody said anything about good enough. Aldon is one of my favorite Niners and is real good and I expect that to continue.

wait till they get into their 6th league before you say they are a hall of famer though..

wait till they get into their 6th league before you say they are a hall of famer though..

Why? Watt does things on defense in only his 2nd year that makes be agree with Wade who should know a thing or two about a defensive players.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by jreff22:

Nope...Not going to have a top 15 pick anytime soon.

With all the draft picks the Niners have next year, don't speak to soon. They have all the ammunition in the draft to move up.
Aldon was 1.5 sacks away from breaking Reggie whites record of fewest games to 20 sacks. Lol I'm fine with the pick. He filled a bigger need at he time. We needed an OLB pass rush more than a 3-4 De
Watt is unbelievable. I have a lot of relatives in Wisconsin. And I've personally gone to many Wisconsin games. Both regular season and Rose Bowl. And I can tell you Watt was always a beast for the Badgers. Just unblockable and batting down passes like he does now. But I have to tell you I didn't expect him to be this good in the pros. He's unreal. Just unreal. He looks like the next Reggie White. He's going to be an all time player. Just insane how good he is.

Now I think Aldon Smith is really, really good and maybe even a perenial Pro Bowl level guy. And I love Aldon other than all his PAC MAN JONES off field episodes. But I'd have to say I think JJ Watt is probably going to be better overall. Probably an all time great vs. a Pro Bowl player is what we are looking at. Watt is like Justin Smith but younger, bigger, stronger and more athletic, with just as much motor....
Oh pleeeease....

Look, J.J. Watt is a phenomenal player. He looks like a shoe in for the HOF. But based on the personnel that we had going into that draft, picking Aldon was the right call. We have J. Smith and McDonald. Where would Watt fit? Should we have let McDonald go in FA instead? In that scenario we are left without an elite pass-rusher, something that prevented this defense from being a top unit for years.

Aldon is putting up some eye-popping numbers too you know. He has a shot at breaking Reggie White's record as the fastest defender to reach 20 sacks. Reggie-freakin'-White. I think we're doing just fine with Aldon.
Share 49ersWebzone