There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Geno Smith QB West Virginia Mountaineers

Originally posted by Jcool:
We are getting a tad off topic but I think Travon Austin is more Darren Sproles then Percy Harvin. Sproles is 5'6" 190lbs Austin is 5'9" (probably closer to 5'8" when he gets his official measurement) 176lbs. His small size will probably cause him to drop a little bit in the draft.

I agree. I think Austin is over rated, he is an amazing CFB time player. But I compare him to Mike Thomas from Arizona (drafted to Jacksonville).

Geno is a legit prospect, right now I have him marked as a late first rounder. Geno is a very smart QB, but I think his arm is a bit weak. I see him as a perfect fit in a WCO. In about 5 years of really studying college ball, I'd say he is the most accurate QB I've ever seen. If you watch his throws, he always puts it right where he wants to. Whichever team that gets him is getting a legit QB that if they give him talent, he will be a pro-bowler.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I agree. I think Austin is over rated, he is an amazing CFB time player. But I compare him to Mike Thomas from Arizona (drafted to Jacksonville).

Geno is a legit prospect, right now I have him marked as a late first rounder. Geno is a very smart QB, but I think his arm is a bit weak. I see him as a perfect fit in a WCO. In about 5 years of really studying college ball, I'd say he is the most accurate QB I've ever seen. If you watch his throws, he always puts it right where he wants to. Whichever team that gets him is getting a legit QB that if they give him talent, he will be a pro-bowler.

He has the arm to make any NFL throw. Just because in the WV offense he is asked to make mostly short passes doesn't mean he doesn't have the arm strength to go deep.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
First thing I noticed watching that Baylor game was how accurate he was at every level. His deep throws looked good but they were generally to open receivers. He also had a ton of yac padding his stats. Tavon Austin looks like he could be a hell of a slot receiver in an NFL spread offense... if he stays healthy.

My concern is the lack of pressure he sees. He could sit in the pocket for 10 seconds if he wanted to, West Virginia's pass protection was unbelievable in that game. Hopefully they run into a good pass rush to better evaluate Smith's play.
Originally posted by DVDA:
First thing I noticed watching that Baylor game was how accurate he was at every level. His deep throws looked good but they were generally to open receivers. He also had a ton of yac padding his stats. Tavon Austin looks like he could be a hell of a slot receiver in an NFL spread offense... if he stays healthy.

My concern is the lack of pressure he sees. He could sit in the pocket for 10 seconds if he wanted to, West Virginia's pass protection was unbelievable in that game. Hopefully they run into a good pass rush to better evaluate Smith's play.

They play Texas this week who has 2 of the best pass rushers in college.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by DVDA:

They play Texas this week who has 2 of the best pass rushers in college.

Wasn't impressed with the Texas defense when they played Wyoming. The only player who stood out was their safety for his interception and a big hit he laid.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
The Sports Dude™ ‏@ImTheSportsDude

Geno Smith's maturation process as a big-time college QB (via@SmartFootball and @Grantland33) #WVU http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8453357/dana-holgorsen-maturation-west-virginia-quarterback-heisman-trophy-favorite-geno-smith
will be a raider lmao
4 TD passes 0 INTs in win over Texas.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by schmons:
will be a raider lmao

that poor kid
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Does this soon to be blow out loss change how you feel about Geno Smith?

Through 3 quarters:

Through 3 quarters:

Still my top QB, and right now I have him going #1, in a trade with Cleveland trading with KC in my first mock.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Through 3 quarters:

Still my top QB, and right now I have him going #1, in a trade with Cleveland trading with KC in my first mock.

I doubt he is number one overall...he doesn't Jane the arm strength all his balls he throws are floaters....I guarantee he is not a top ten pick....
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Through 3 quarters:

I doubt he is number one overall...he doesn't Jane the arm strength all his balls he throws are floaters....I guarantee he is not a top ten pick....

This game wont damage his stock at all because it will be spun in this manner "It proves he's human and everyone has off days".

Arm strength alone doth not make a #1 pick. None of the top QBs have looked like locks, Barkley has played absolutely atrocious football at times this season, and Logan Thomas and Tyler Bray have completely regressed. Right now its a toss up between Barkley and Smith but I have a feeling the hype train for Smith might when out especially if/when Cleveland gets the #1 pick and the new owner axes the entire staff and tells them to trade Weeden for peanuts to the Jets. Barkley will go top 5 and if I were the jags or chiefs I'd do anything in my power to get Barkley.

Also I feel this venue is an appropriate place to voice this opinion. Shouldn't the NFL have taken away the Saints first round pick in 2013 and not 2012 as punishment? Because everyone knew they would bomb it without all of those pieces, they are essentially getting rewarded for being punished because they are a fairly loaded team and will just pull a Saint Louis and create a bidding war for whichever QB is not picked #1....
[ Edited by sfout on Oct 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
And we can kiss goodbye Geno Smith and his Heisman chances....
I think he forgot there was a game tonight
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home