There are 152 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Niners Draft Grade and Analysis

  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,607
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by buck:
I can recall him taking shots at people without being provoked quite frequently.

His gratuitous lectures on the proper use of the English language were particularly galling.

I had thought prior to the resurrection of this thread that MD had changed. Now, I am not so sure.

Still fiesty when falsely accused. That won't ever change. If you misrepresent what I have posted in the past, I will show the truth. Nothing wrong with that, right? Let's all play fair.

Many praised the trade at the time. However, looking back, that pick was TY Hilton, who has turned out to be a stud third rounder. The Colts got us on that one. Much like the Niners scored big in 2011, the Colts were crazy good in 2012.

Why didnt you say... many praised that trade at the time INCLUDING ME?

Of course, including me. That being said, to set the record, I was not in favor of the trade when it happened, although it appeared to be great value when it happened.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/165469-maddogs-niners-draft-grade-analysis/page40/#jz9a6DyQLJHD649r.99

If you are showing the truth in the above interchange, it is difficult to discern.
I'm still salty about us dumping Cam Johnson
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I'm still salty about us dumping Cam Johnson

if niners got down to having to play their 5th olb on the roster the season would already be in the dumper
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Let's move onto football, instead of hurt feelings from 2011. If I have offended someone in the past, I sincerely say- Mea Culpa.

At the same time, I don't apologize for honest, blunt and open-for-all-to-see assessments. I call it like I see it, and don't really care if Baalke's feelings are hurt, or the ownership, or someone who really likes a player. I am sure that Taylor Mays, nor Chilo Rachal will not be sending a Christmas card to me, and that is alright. I can live with that.

I hit on some things, I miss on others. Everyone who does this has the same issue, even the Great Baalke (unless you are personally related to him, please do not take offense. If you are related, once again, I am sorry). Gabbert so far-stinky poo poo. EJ Manuel- looking really good. Dez Bryant- Yahoo. Akwasi Owusu Ansah- Yikes. I will never lie, nor sugar coat anything I post. You will always know where I come from.

If someone wants to point out errors from my judgment in the past, that is fine. I know where I hit and miss. Everyone does. However, in the act of fairness, for some board members to try to dismiss me as some hack because I missed on..example.. Bowman in the third round is preposterous, since you would have to dismiss all the other 31 GM's and our own for letting him slide into the third. Fairness and the truth should always be at the center of critique. If I am to be attacked for the example of Bowman, the same wrath should be placed at the door of the others who do this for a living.

The draft and player personnel matters should make everyone humble. There are no great people who follow the draft or build a roster. There are simply far too many mistakes.

It's not the missing that people take issue with, it's the arrogance displayed when missing and then behaving like it is an after thought after the fact is what people take issue with. Always has been that way and always will.

EVERY single year we go through the same thing. EVERY single year there is a similar thread with similar statements because when the time comes predictions are as cocky as these prognosticators, and like them, when the time comes and those cocky predictions are proven dead wrong it's of no mater, and it happens so meh.
[ Edited by WINiner on Sep 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
It's not the missing that people take issue with, it's the arrogance displayed when missing and then behaving like it is an after thought after the fact is what people take issue with. Always has been that way and always will.

EVERY single year we go through the same thing. EVERY single year there is a similar thread with similar statements because when the time comes you are as cocky as these prognosticators, and like them, when the time comes that are proven dead wrong you behave like it is of no consequence.

You obviously have not read much of what I write. I invite you to go back and read.
Originally posted by buck:
Many praised the trade at the time. However, looking back, that pick was TY Hilton, who has turned out to be a stud third rounder. The Colts got us on that one. Much like the Niners scored big in 2011, the Colts were crazy good in 2012.

Why didnt you say... many praised that trade at the time INCLUDING ME?

Of course, including me. That being said, to set the record, I was not in favor of the trade when it happened, although it appeared to be great value when it happened.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/165469-maddogs-niners-draft-grade-analysis/page40/#jz9a6DyQLJHD649r.99

If you are showing the truth in the above interchange, it is difficult to discern.

Go back and read after thie post you linked. I readily accepted that I thought it was a good trade, and even though it would not have been my choice at the time, I thought it was a smart decision. The organization, and my judgment on the trade were both wrong, especially in the light of what the Colts got at number 92
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
You obviously have not read much of what I write. I invite you to go back and read.

Your posts have been cockily offensive to me for years, and I have watched member after member banned because of reacting to posts of the like, so ill refrain. I just had to comment on the feigned innocence routine.
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by kidash98:
Been in this road before with MD.

I recall having an animated debate with him and all I asked was for him to say he was wrong about a particular pick (been so long I don't even remember who the player was). Back to the present and how many years later, I still have not seen him admit he was wrong.

Good luck to those waiting for him to say he was wrong. May he have said, "I am a man enough to admit when I am wrong," you will never see it written (typed/posted) by him.

- 98

This is foolishness and you know it. As a mod you should know better. This "you will never see it written by him" is another lying cheap shot. I have been wrong on many occasions and have admitted it many times. I have done this before, but I guess I have to do this again. Short list:
I was wrong about Ahmed Brooks turning his life around and being a productive player in the NFL. I was wrong in my assessment that Blaine Gabbert was the best QB in the 2012 draft class. I was wrong about Ray McDonald not lasting more than four years in the NFL due to previous knee surgeries in college. I was wrong about Alex Boone being able to effectively slide int the inside. I was wrong about having AJ Jenkins on my best 50 board at number 48. I have admitted probably a dozen times or more now that the 2011 draft class as better than I originally thought. THIS IS A FRICKEN SHORT LIST.

When a person makes hundreds of calls each year, in player rankings, player personnel decisions, etc, you are going to make a LOT of mistakes. EVERYBODY DOES. If you have read any of the pages from 33 on, I have stated almost to the point of vomiting, that all people, including myself make tons of errors. Please go back and read. Post 503, 543 as a starting list

If you can remember the player, please let me know. In the meantime, why don't you read what I write instead of instigating with lies, which is against the board rules.

Instigating with lies? You're a funny guy! I'm not the only one to point out your flaws. Not just about draft picks but especially in the manner in which you belittle those who disagree with you.

Part of the reason I have not chimed in one of your thread for so long is how you talk and squirm your way out of your own predictions. As stated, the way you belittle those who goes against your picks.

Part of my responsibility as a Mod IS TO READ WHAT'S POSTED. All the people going against you in this thread is basically saying the same thing yet you choose to ignore it: to be able to man up when you're wrong and to do it in a civil fashion. Granted, you admitted that you were wrong with some players you listed above, and for that I applaud you. But how long did that take you to admit????

No one predicting the draft is 100% correct ever, we all know that. It's when you talk down on people and rub them the wrong way that I've always and will have issues. Case in point re the last few pages: we are still waiting to see you post that you were wrong in your assessment with Balke's 2011 draft. Up to now you still won't get off your high horse and admit that Balke did a hell of a job with those picks, only to throw the subject/conversation to his 2012 picks when that's not even the question raised. You tend to deflect the actual question to something else!

Personally, I think the fact that you were once written up by Barrows got to your head, that you think you're better than a lot of the posters in here. I can admit, to a point, that you do a damn good job with your draft board. It's your interaction with the denizens of this place that I have issues with.

Have some humble pie once in a while. It's actually a good thing and a lot of us would respect you more if you do.

- 98

This, thiiiiiissss and more THIS. Thank you Kid. Very well put.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Your posts have been cockily offensive to me for years, and I have watched member after member banned because of reacting to posts of the like, so ill refrain. I just had to comment on the feigned innocence routine.

If I have hurt your feelings, I apologize. I think some board members get extremely upset when I disagree with Baalke, and those individuals should not take it personally. I am not sure if you feel that way. I am opinionated, and always analyze knowing that I am a bad burrito away from Baalke's 2012 draft. I haven't had a stinker that bad in a long time, which means I am probably due in 2013. Everyone is humbled by the draft, including me.

As for feigned innocence, I beg to differ. There is nothing fake about anything I say in this board. It is all real and heartfelt. It may not make everyone feel good, but it always genuine.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM ]
Originally posted by kidash98:
Instigating with lies? You're a funny guy! I'm not the only one to point out your flaws. Not just about draft picks but especially in the manner in which you belittle those who disagree with you.

Part of the reason I have not chimed in one of your thread for so long is how you talk and squirm your way out of your own predictions. As stated, the way you belittle those who goes against your picks.

Part of my responsibility as a Mod IS TO READ WHAT'S POSTED. All the people going against you in this thread is basically saying the same thing yet you choose to ignore it: to be able to man up when you're wrong and to do it in a civil fashion. Granted, you admitted that you were wrong with some players you listed above, and for that I applaud you. But how long did that take you to admit????

No one predicting the draft is 100% correct ever, we all know that. It's when you talk down on people and rub them the wrong way that I've always and will have issues. Case in point re the last few pages: we are still waiting to see you post that you were wrong in your assessment with Balke's 2011 draft. Up to now you still won't get off your high horse and admit that Balke did a hell of a job with those picks, only to throw the subject/conversation to his 2012 picks when that's not even the question raised. You tend to deflect the actual question to something else!

Personally, I think the fact that you were once written up by Barrows got to your head, that you think you're better than a lot of the posters in here. I can admit, to a point, that you do a damn good job with your draft board. It's your interaction with the denizens of this place that I have issues with.

Have some humble pie once in a while. It's actually a good thing and a lot of us would respect you more if you do.

- 98

I have stated numerous times that Baalke gets an A+ for his 2011 draft. You would need to go back and read some previous posts from the past. As for Barrows, I didn't need a write-up to feeling good about what I do, it was generous of him to write about my prognostication, but this didn't change anything about me.

I hope you have a chance to read some of my posts from the previous year. I don't think you'd have such negative thoughts about the way I present myself.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,607
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by buck:
Many praised the trade at the time. However, looking back, that pick was TY Hilton, who has turned out to be a stud third rounder. The Colts got us on that one. Much like the Niners scored big in 2011, the Colts were crazy good in 2012.

Why didnt you say... many praised that trade at the time INCLUDING ME?

Of course, including me. That being said, to set the record, I was not in favor of the trade when it happened, although it appeared to be great value when it happened.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/165469-maddogs-niners-draft-grade-analysis/page40/#jz9a6DyQLJHD649r.99

If you are showing the truth in the above interchange, it is difficult to discern.

Go back and read after thie post you linked. I readily accepted that I thought it was a good trade, and even though it would not have been my choice at the time, I thought it was a smart decision. The organization, and my judgment on the trade were both wrong, especially in the light of what the Colts got at number 92

If you are talking the truth as you claim, it would not have been necessary for an after the fact admission.

This whole draft analysis should be fun.

Your morbid fixation on being correct combined with a demeaning and arrogant attitude towards others destroys both the fun and insight you have to offer.

I apologize to any relatives of Maddog who are inclined to rush to his defense. Seriously, I do not mean to offend anyone.

I understand that Maddog, like all of us amateurs, has a tendency to wish that he were engaged in the real game.

Again, I hope not to offend any of his brothers, sisters, cousins or any relatives. If I did offend anyone, I apologize from the bottom of my heart. .
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 16,877
Do you deny ripping Baalke and being wrong about every transaction you ripped him on in 2011? And do you deny condescension towards those that disagreed with you in that time period?
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Do you deny ripping Baalke and being wrong about every transaction you ripped him on in 2011? And do you deny condescension towards those that disagreed with you in that time period?

Way too much anger, Amp. Honestly, and I say this with all sincerity, this is not healthy for anyone,

To answer your question: Sure, I ripped Baalke. Anyone can search and see this on the board. Likewise, people can see how i think quite differently today. Some may be angered today that i still think my 2011 draft is superior, since i believe Watt is going to be an all-time great and i am not as sold on Smith and CK reaching that level. Maybe I will feel differently tomorrow, or next year, or never. Too much ball to be played in the meantime.

Sure, I did not win the Webzone Barney Award for 2011. Lot of hostility thrown my way and I did not always act in my best interest or the best interest of the board. But, I have turned a new page. I am still very opinionated, that will never change, but trying to avoid pissing fights with those who are angered by my thoughts or comments,
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by buck:
Many praised the trade at the time. However, looking back, that pick was TY Hilton, who has turned out to be a stud third rounder. The Colts got us on that one. Much like the Niners scored big in 2011, the Colts were crazy good in 2012.

Why didnt you say... many praised that trade at the time INCLUDING ME?

Of course, including me. That being said, to set the record, I was not in favor of the trade when it happened, although it appeared to be great value when it happened.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/165469-maddogs-niners-draft-grade-analysis/page40/#jz9a6DyQLJHD649r.99

If you are showing the truth in the above interchange, it is difficult to discern.

Go back and read after thie post you linked. I readily accepted that I thought it was a good trade, and even though it would not have been my choice at the time, I thought it was a smart decision. The organization, and my judgment on the trade were both wrong, especially in the light of what the Colts got at number 92

If you are talking the truth as you claim, it would not have been necessary for an after the fact admission.

This whole draft analysis should be fun.

Your morbid fixation on being correct combined with a demeaning and arrogant attitude towards others destroys both the fun and insight you have to offer.

I apologize to any relatives of Maddog who are inclined to rush to his defense. Seriously, I do not mean to offend anyone.

I understand that Maddog, like all of us amateurs, has a tendency to wish that he were engaged in the real game.

Again, I hope not to offend any of his brothers, sisters, cousins or any relatives. If I did offend anyone, I apologize from the bottom of my heart. .

I dont even know how to respond to "demeaning and arrogant attitude". Please show me the recent post and I will apologize if it is legit. I am trying to be as polite as possible.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,607
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Some may be angered today that i still think my 2011 draft is superior, since i believe Watt is going to be an all-time great and i am not as sold on Smith and CK reaching that level. Maybe I will feel differently tomorrow, or next year, or never. Too much ball to be played in the meantime.

Comparing your "draft" to a Baalke draft is similar to comparing the football played in Madden to the football played in the NFL.

Madden football has no consequences outside the world of Madden football. Your so-called drafts have no consequence outside the world of this forum.

When Baalke makes a mistake there are consequences, and those consequences can be devastating .

When you make a mistake there are no consequences outside the world of this forum.

In my estimation, the real drat world and the world of your drafts are just not comparable.

A reason person should be capable of recognizing the difference, and I find it utterly dismaying that you do not seem able to make the distinction.

You may be more knowledgeable than I am, but like me you are only an aficionado. Stop pretending to be more than you are.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 6, 2013 at 7:39 PM ]