There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Niners Draft Grade and Analysis

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
MD.. Listen I know that no one is perfect and you hit on some and miss on some. I actually do like the work that you put in. However, sometimes your memory is either flawed or you dont want to admit that perhaps you were wrong.

Case in point.... You gave the Niners an A for their trade with the Colts in 2012 when they traded their 3rd rd pick and the Colts got Hilton. Now, you just made this statement....
"Thanks. One note about the 2012 not talked about often. Baalke traded with the Colts, dealing our third rounder to them in 2012, the 92nd overall selection. Many praised the trade at the time. However, looking back, that pick was TY Hilton, who has turned out to be a stud third rounder. The Colts got us on that one. Much like the Niners scored big in 2011, the Colts were crazy good in 2012.

Why didnt you say... many praised that trade at the time INCLUDING ME?
Of course, including me. That being said, to set the record, I was not in favor of the trade when it happened, although it appeared to be great value when it happened.

I guess it confuses me that you would give something an A grade and be against it.
Let's move onto football, instead of hurt feelings from 2011. If I have offended someone in the past, I sincerely say- Mea Culpa.

At the same time, I don't apologize for honest, blunt and open-for-all-to-see assessments. I call it like I see it, and don't really care if Baalke's feelings are hurt, or the ownership, or someone who really likes a player. I am sure that Taylor Mays, nor Chilo Rachal will not be sending a Christmas card to me, and that is alright. I can live with that.

I hit on some things, I miss on others. Everyone who does this has the same issue, even the Great Baalke (unless you are personally related to him, please do not take offense. If you are related, once again, I am sorry). Gabbert so far-stinky poo poo. EJ Manuel- looking really good. Dez Bryant- Yahoo. Akwasi Owusu Ansah- Yikes. I will never lie, nor sugar coat anything I post. You will always know where I come from.

If someone wants to point out errors from my judgment in the past, that is fine. I know where I hit and miss. Everyone does. However, in the act of fairness, for some board members to try to dismiss me as some hack because I missed on..example.. Bowman in the third round is preposterous, since you would have to dismiss all the other 31 GM's and our own for letting him slide into the third. Fairness and the truth should always be at the center of critique. If I am to be attacked for the example of Bowman, the same wrath should be placed at the door of the others who do this for a living.

The draft and player personnel matters should make everyone humble. There are no great people who follow the draft or build a roster. There are simply far too many mistakes.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I guess it confuses me that you would give something an A grade and be against it.

Giving a grade and stating it is not something you would have done are two different things. The Niners get an A grade for drafting A. Smith, but it is not something I would have done. I'll take Watt any day over Smith, but the Niners still got great value in their selection.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Kind of ironic that all this arguing is occurring in this thread. MD pretty much nailed this draft grade lol. Only miss was Slowey.

I really love the list of guys I had in 2012. Just solid football players who love the game. Excited to see what Konz, Sanu, M. Jackson and A. Allen do in 2013. Ballard may have some carries taken away by Bradshaw, but just a solid football player.

Note: Antonio Allen was just named the starter at S for the Jets. That would mean four starters from my 2012 draft: Konz, Sanu, Ballard, Allen.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 5, 2013 at 12:53 PM ]
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Kind of ironic that all this arguing is occurring in this thread. MD pretty much nailed this draft grade lol. Only miss was Slowey.

Robinson as well.

I wouldn't quite call that a miss. He was on the team last year and looked pretty good in preseason this year. I thought he was going to make the team, seemed like a better S prospect than Thomas in my eyes. I think he could still be a player in this league. And for a 6th round pick I would say that is an A. He contributed to a SB caliber team.

I really love the list of guys I had in 2012. Just solid football players who love the game. Excited to see what Konz, Sanu, M. Jackson and A. Allen do in 2013. Ballard may have some carries taken away by Bradshaw, but just a solid football player.

Note: Antonio Allen was just named the starter at S for the Jets. That would mean four starters from my 2012 draft: Konz, Sanu, Ballard, Allen.

I believe Bradshaw's considered to be the starter in Indy rather than Ballard.

Reign...I don't believe Robinson contributing on ST for one year before getting cut constitutes an A- grade, even if he's a 6th Rounder. Too low of a bar, IMO.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Not disagreeing with you. I can totally see how some of his posts can ruffle a few feathers. It's okay to argue, but the argument is lost when a good debate turns into name calling and character shots. MD makes plenty of errors, but I can't ever recall him taking shots at people unprovoked.

I can recall him taking shots at people without being provoked quite frequently.

His gratuitous lectures on the proper use of the English language were particularly galling.

I had thought prior to the resurrection of this thread that MD had changed. Now, I am not so sure.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I really believe that you actually do believe that you had a draft in 2012.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I believe Bradshaw's considered to be the starter in Indy rather than Ballard.

Reign...I don't believe Robinson contributing on ST for one year before getting cut constitutes an A- grade, even if he's a 6th Rounder. Too low of a bar, IMO.

Agree to disagree then. If a 6th rounder makes a SB caliber team I would call that an A. It is basically a worthless pick, if it turns into anything that is a good pick.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
It's not even close. Not too mention, MD was clamoring for us to pick Gabbert, not Watt. Quite revisionist if you ask me. In fact, Gabbert was MD's 4 best player on the Niners board while Watt was 8th. MD likes to take credit for calling Watt's greatness, but he had quite a few guys ahead of him.

Not true. I did not advocate taking a QB early in the 2012 draft since I wanted Harbaugh to have a year with Smith first.

I did have Gabbert number four in one of my Big Boards, which is a draft projection, not a best board.

As for my best board in 2011, the top 5 were:
1. Green
2. Peterson
3. Miller
4. Dareus
5. Watt

Stop trolling and making up lies, Amp.

No, what you did advocate in reality was trading the bulk of our picks to move up for PP...with both Watt and Smith still on the board.
Originally posted by buck:
I really believe that you actually do believe that you had a draft in 2012.

I did have a draft, just like many others. Got to participate, right?
I can recall him taking shots at people without being provoked quite frequently.

His gratuitous lectures on the proper use of the English language were particularly galling.

I had thought prior to the resurrection of this thread that MD had changed. Now, I am not so sure.

Still fiesty when falsely accused. That won't ever change. If you misrepresent what I have posted in the past, I will show the truth. Nothing wrong with that, right? Let's all play fair.
I wouldn't quite call that a miss. He was on the team last year and looked pretty good in preseason this year. I thought he was going to make the team, seemed like a better S prospect than Thomas in my eyes. I think he could still be a player in this league. And for a 6th round pick I would say that is an A. He contributed to a SB caliber team.

I would concede it is a miss. I take pride in later rounders remaining on the roster for years. My 2011 draft had nine picks from the fourth round on, Seven are still on rosters (we will see if the recently releases Powe will be picked up) and all play significant roles with their teams,

Just watching Malik Jackson getting a lot of PT tonight for the Broncs (number 97).
  • buck
  • Veteran
s
I did have a draft, just like many others. Got to participate, right?

Your drafts are figments of imagination. They are about as real as the drafts done by the pundits at www.whoevergotpicked.com.

The entertainment value that they have quickly disappears.

Just my opinion.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM ]
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame

Still fiesty when falsely accused. That won't ever change. If you misrepresent what I have posted in the past, I will show the truth. Nothing wrong with that, right? Let's all play fair.

But if one properly presents your errors, they go largely ignored. It ought to be a two way street.
[ Edited by AmpLee on Sep 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM ]