There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Niners Draft Grade and Analysis

Originally posted by fryet:
This thread has your 2011 draft. I would post there, but it is locked:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/154437-maddogs-final-wrap-grade-niners/search=MadDog49er

This was Baalke's home run draft. It is not surprising that in hindsight your analysis was off.

Aldon Smith - You gave a C, and this is definitely an A+. However, your other choice Wyatt, is also an A+.
Colin Kaepernick - You gave a C, and this is also definitely an A+.
Chris Culliver - You gave a C+. That is probably about right. First backup at corner after 2nd season.
Kendall Hunter - You gave an A. I think that might be slightly generous, but first backup at RB in the 4th round is good, so I am quibbling over what I think should be an A- or B+ grade.
Daniel Kilgore - You gave a D. I think he is probably the 49er's best backup. A 5th round pick he is at least a B.
Ronald Johnson and Colin Jones - You gave a C. Johnson was a F, and I think Colin made the team for 1 year. So I think D would be better.
7th rounders - you gave them a F. 2 of 3 didn't make the team, but Miller is a solid choice as our starting FB. So in his case I think he was an A or at least a B.

So how did your picks do in comparison for the 2011 draft?

Maddog gets a F for his evaluation of the 2011 draft. He gave the Niners a C-. Sorry but any draft that got Kaep and Aldon Smith is an A+. Two of the most dynamic and explosive young players in the NFL right now.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/154437-maddogs-final-wrap-grade-niners/search=MadDog49er

This was Baalke's home run draft. It is not surprising that in hindsight your analysis was off.

Aldon Smith - You gave a C, and this is definitely an A+. However, your other choice Wyatt, is also an A+.
Chris Culliver - You gave a C+. That is probably about right. First backup at corner after 2nd season.
Kendall Hunter - You gave an A. I think that might be slightly generous, but first backup at RB in the 4th round is good, so I am quibbling over what I think should be an A- or B+ grade.
Daniel Kilgore - You gave a D. I think he is probably the 49er's best backup. A 5th round pick he is at least a B.
Ronald Johnson and Colin Jones - You gave a C. Johnson was a F, and I think Colin made the team for 1 year. So I think D would be better.
7th rounders - you gave them a F. 2 of 3 didn't make the team, but Miller is a solid choice as our starting FB. So in his case I think he was an A or at least a B.

Here is a copy of my 2011 draft that was in a draft redo thread:
1- JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin Simply the best player on the board at the time. Since Franklin appears to be leaving, moving Soap to NT would necessitate a new DE to take over right away.
 2- Rodney Hudson, G/C, Florida State I think Hudson is the best OL in the entire draft, and is a starter at guard or center.
 3- Curtis Brown, CB, Texas The team needs a cover corner, and Brown has size and speed. 
4- Jordan Todman, RB, UConn I graded Todman just slightly over Hunter, who I really like as well. Both are great value picks at this point. 
4- Marcus Cannon, G, TCU Since the Niners have a second fourth rounder, this can be a luxury pick. I'd burn it on a risk. Cannon is a starter at guard some time in the future if he can survive cancer and regain his strength. Worth the risk in the fourth round.
 5- Tyrod Taylor, QB, Virginia Tech The Niners need QB depth, and while no one expects Taylor to be a future starter, he can be a solid backup if the starter goes down for a short time. 
6- Charles Clay, FB, Tulsa A FB who can run and catch the ball. Sounds like a WCO fullback to me. 
6- Justin Rogers, CB, Richmond Team needs a second corner in this draft, and Rogers had a terrific career and offseason. 
6- Jerrell Powe, NT, Mississippi Simply a backup, toilet clogger. Every 3-4 team needs one.
 7- Ugo Chinasa, OLB, Oklahoma St Was not drafted, but a quick, strong guy who could develop into a nice role player
. 7- Jeron Johnson, S, Boise St Also not drafted, but a talented, fast guy who has a ton of experience. 
7- Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, Ohio St Competition for Williams in the slot. Sanzenbacher was a seriously clutch WR for the Buckeyes. Cheers. [ Edited by MadDog49er on May 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM ] 
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/154846-you-could-redo-one-49ers-pick-would-take/#vrwqUZ324cIjUE6b.99

The only player not in the league after cuts is Chinasa.
1. Watt is a monster
2. Hudson starts at center for KC
3. Brown is a reserve CB but may be the best special teamer for the Steelers. Bit of a disappointment at CB
4. Todman backs up Drew-jones in Jax. Had a great preseason
4. Cannon fighting for starting RG spot with NE
5. Taylor backs up Flacco for Balt
6. Clay starting TE for Dolphins
6. Rogers might start for Buffalo in Week one at CB
6. Powe is reserve DT
7. Chinasa out of league
7. Johnson top reserve safety for Seahawks and special teams star
7. Sanzenbacher made the cut for the Bengals at WR.

Ve

Excellent overall draft class (might have 4 or 5 opening day starters this year) with depth (5 of my 6 players in the 6th and 7th rounders still in the league and on a 53 man roster...this is nearly impossible in year 3) made spectacular with Watt, who may be the best player in the game. Baalke had a great draft. People can debate which group they like better, although it is still early in everyone's career to make a final grade.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 31, 2013 at 9:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Maddog gets a F for his evaluation of the 2011 draft. He gave the Niners a C-. Sorry but any draft that got Kaep and Aldon Smith is an A+. Two of the most dynamic and explosive young players in the NFL right now.

Already been down this road before. Old news.

At the 2 most important positions in football we secured what potentially become one of the very best QBs and the premier pass rusher. Awesome!!

Would you take my 2012 draft class over Baalke's?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

1- JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin Simply the best player on the board at the time. Since Franklin appears to be leaving, moving Soap to NT would necessitate a new DE to take over right away.
2- Rodney Hudson, G/C, Florida State I think Hudson is the best OL in the entire draft, and is a starter at guard or center.
3- Curtis Brown, CB, Texas The team needs a cover corner, and Brown has size and speed.
4- Jordan Todman, RB, UConn I graded Todman just slightly over Hunter, who I really like as well. Both are great value picks at this point.
4- Marcus Cannon, G, TCU Since the Niners have a second fourth rounder, this can be a luxury pick. I'd burn it on a risk. Cannon is a starter at guard some time in the future if he can survive cancer and regain his strength. Worth the risk in the fourth round.
5- Tyrod Taylor, QB, Virginia Tech The Niners need QB depth, and while no one expects Taylor to be a future starter, he can be a solid backup if the starter goes down for a short time.
6- Charles Clay, FB, Tulsa A FB who can run and catch the ball. Sounds like a WCO fullback to me.
6- Justin Rogers, CB, Richmond Team needs a second corner in this draft, and Rogers had a terrific career and offseason.
6- Jerrell Powe, NT, Mississippi Simply a backup, toilet clogger. Every 3-4 team needs one.
7- Ugo Chinasa, OLB, Oklahoma St Was not drafted, but a quick, strong guy who could develop into a nice role player
. 7- Jeron Johnson, S, Boise St Also not drafted, but a talented, fast guy who has a ton of experience.
7- Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, Ohio St Competition for Williams in the slot. Sanzenbacher was a seriously clutch WR for the Buckeyes. Cheers. [ Edited by MadDog49er on May 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM ]
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/154846-you-could-redo-one-49ers-pick-would-take/#vrwqUZ324cIjUE6b.99

1. Watt is a monster
3. Brown is a reserve CB but may be the best special teamer for the Steelers. Bit of a disappointment at CB
6. Powe is reserve DT
7. Chinasa out of league

Ve

Excellent overall draft class (might have 4 or 5 opening day starters this year) with depth (5 of my 6 players in the 6th and 7th rounders still in the league and on a 53 man roster...this is nearly impossible in year 3) made spectacular with Watt, who may be the best player in the game. Baalke had a great draft. People can debate which group they like better, although it is still early in everyone's career to make a final grade.

Kap alone will win us more games than Watt would have and we did get Aldon and his 33.5 sacks as well. I like the draft we had much better
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

1. Watt is a monster
6. Powe is reserve DT
7. Chinasa out of league

Ve

Kap alone will win us more games than Watt would have and we did get Aldon and his 33.5 sacks as well. I like the draft we had much better

It's not even close. Not too mention, MD was clamoring for us to pick Gabbert, not Watt. Quite revisionist if you ask me. In fact, Gabbert was MD's 4 best player on the Niners board while Watt was 8th. MD likes to take credit for calling Watt's greatness, but he had quite a few guys ahead of him.
[ Edited by AmpLee on Aug 31, 2013 at 9:55 PM ]
Point being made is that the hero worship of Baalke by many for the 2011 draft class, which was superb, can burn to ashes at any point. The draft is witchcraft and those who think they know it all have no idea what they are talking about because there are going to be a LOT of misses. The guys who are the best are the ones that prove better than the rest over the long haul, and even then face the horror of what could have been, because everyone misses.....A LOT.

Some on this board feel great joy when I miss on a player and heap their wrath, yet dismiss Baalks's poor judgment, Those people can't have it both ways. Either Baalke has to hit a home run every time, or a little grace is shown toward me when I miss. I don't need sympathy, but fairness would be...fair.

Some think I come across as arrogant in my analysis, but the reality is that the draft is a constant lesson in humility. I do think I am damn good at this, and anyone can track my picks over the years to judge for themselves. However, I am one bad set of tacos from having a Baalke 2012 draft, and that constantly stares me in the face. Nobody is truly great at this, or they would be wearing handfuls of Super Bowl rings, and would have selected Joe Montana in either the first or second round of his draft.
Point being made is that the hero worship of Baalke by many for the 2011 draft class, which was superb, can burn to ashes at any point. The draft is witchcraft and those who think they know it all have no idea what they are talking about because there are going to be a LOT of misses. The guys who are the best are the ones that prove better than the rest over the long haul, and even then face the horror of what could have been, because everyone misses.....A LOT.

Some on this board feel great joy when I miss on a player and heap their wrath, yet dismiss Baalks's poor judgment, Those people can't have it both ways. Either Baalke has to hit a home run every time, or a little grace is shown toward me when I miss. I don't need sympathy, but fairness would be...fair.

Some think I come across as arrogant in my analysis, but the reality is that the draft is a constant lesson in humility. I do think I am damn good at this, and anyone can track my picks over the years to judge for themselves. However, I am one bad set of tacos from having a Baalke 2012 draft, and that constantly stares me in the face. Nobody is truly great at this, or they would be wearing handfuls of Super Bowl rings, and would have selected Joe Montana in either the first or second round of his draft.

The issue is not of the adulation others have of Baalke, it's the admonishment you had towards our front office to the point you were calling for their heads and calling anything positive they did "lucky". Generally, people appreciate your input and knowledge, but it's always been the condescension you've carried towards those who've disagreed with your viewpoints, and the self-elevation of your opinion, that have opened windows for others to call you out on things you were wrong about. If you acted in a humble nature, I'm sure no one would give a damn if you thought Gabbert would be great and Kaep was too great of a risk. It's a great parlor game to prognosticate, but that's all it is. At the end of the day, we as fans have a much more limited view on these players and we must at some point admit that our FO may know what they are doing until proven incompetent.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
It's not even close. Not too mention, MD was clamoring for us to pick Gabbert, not Watt. Quite revisionist if you ask me. In fact, Gabbert was MD's 4 best player on the Niners board while Watt was 8th. MD likes to take credit for calling Watt's greatness, but he had quite a few guys ahead of him.

Not true. I did not advocate taking a QB early in the 2012 draft since I wanted Harbaugh to have a year with Smith first.

I did have Gabbert number four in one of my Big Boards, which is a draft projection, not a best board.

As for my best board in 2011, the top 5 were:
1. Green
2. Peterson
3. Miller
4. Dareus
5. Watt

Stop trolling and making up lies, Amp.

Not true. I did not advocate taking a QB early in the 2012 draft since I wanted Harbaugh to have a year with Smith first.

I did have Gabbert number four in one of my Big Boards, which is a draft projection, not a best board.

As for my best board in 2011, the top 5 were:
1. Green
2. Peterson
3. Miller
4. Dareus
5. Watt

Stop trolling and making up lies, Amp.

Lies, huh?...

Originally posted by oldman9er
Gotcha. I'd also be interested to see your 49ers draft board top 10 in order, if you have the time to post it.

Sure.

1. Luck
2. Green
3. Peterson
4. Gabbert
5. Fairley
6. Sherrod
7. Blackmon
8. Watt
9. Dareus
10. Amukamara

Cheers.

And in a thread titled, "Your 49ers top 7 if you were making the board on draft day"...

Originally posted by ninertico:
Unless you have two players at the same level, and one is at a greater position of need, you have to always base your board on how you rank their ability to be great in the NFL. Here would be my board, if you put me on the clock today. All of these players have some question marks, and I am really tracking their Pro-Days to make a final conclusion. I have included what I want to see from each to solidy a final grade.

1) AJ Green- In drills, I want to see consistency in catching the ball.
2) Patrick Peterson- For Peterson, it is all about proving he can change directions quickly and effortlessly. I'd love to see him drop 10 pounds as well.
3) Marcel Dareus- Love the weight gain, especially as a potential for being a 3-4 NT prospect. Didn't love the reps at 24. Want to see him in the 30's in his Pro-Day.
4) Von Miller- Keep the weight at 245+, and continue working on playing in reverse.
5) Blaine Gabbert- Put on a show. I have no doubt he will do so. In the past few 6 years, the top QB prospect going into the Pro-Day portion of offseason workouts has played lights out at his Pro-Day. There is no reason to think that Gabbert breaks the trend (Bradford, Stafford, Ryan, Russell, Young, Smith)
6) JJ Watt- Continue to show the size, speed, strength combination that makes him special.
7) Cameron Jordan- See note on Watt.

Do you agree with Mayock about franchise QBs like Gabbert trumping all other position so in this case Dareus, Miller or Peterson if all where available at #7?
I see the top 4 guys as Pro-Bowl caliber players. I don't see Gabbert as a Pro-Bowler, but just like Sam Bradford, a solid NFL QB in that next tier down in a few years. I do not agree with Mayock in that way. A legit Pro-Bowler is a Pro-Bowler (there are a fair amount of phony Pro-Bowlers every year based on tradition, popularity, etc.). He is the best at what he does. The next level down is the next level down. Now, if both are Pro-Bowl type players, then the QB surely trumps everything.

Still wanna call me a liar and troll? SMFH.
[ Edited by AmpLee on Aug 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM ]
The issue is not of the adulation others have of Baalke, it's the admonishment you had towards our front office to the point you were calling for their heads and calling anything positive they did "lucky". Generally, people appreciate your input and knowledge, but it's always been the condescension you've carried towards those who've disagreed with your viewpoints, and the self-elevation of your opinion, that have opened windows for others to call you out on things you were wrong about. If you acted in a humble nature, I'm sure no one would give a damn if you thought Gabbert would be great and Kaep was too great of a risk. It's a great parlor game to prognosticate, but that's all it is. At the end of the day, we as fans have a much more limited view on these players and we must at some point admit that our FO may know what they are doing until proven incompetent.

You are living in the past. I have moved on.

Just stop fabricating things like in your previous post. It is simply not true and you know it.
Lies, huh?...

And in a thread titled, "Your 49ers top 7 if you were making the board on draft day"...

I see the top 4 guys as Pro-Bowl caliber players. I don't see Gabbert as a Pro-Bowler, but just like Sam Bradford, a solid NFL QB in that next tier down in a few years. I do not agree with Mayock in that way. A legit Pro-Bowler is a Pro-Bowler (there are a fair amount of phony Pro-Bowlers every year based on tradition, popularity, etc.). He is the best at what he does. The next level down is the next level down. Now, if both are Pro-Bowl type players, then the QB surely trumps everything.

Please post the link

You are living in the past. I have moved on.

Just stop fabricating things like in your previous post. It is simply not true and you know it.

Fabricating things? Look up. I've provided evidence. The fact you've never been able to admit your own faults, and even have tried to rewrite history while maintaining a condescending attitude towards others is why you get little respect from some very respectful posters. Spare me your b******t.

Links (These are only the first two I've come across, there's likely more)...

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/152871-your-49ers-you-were-making-board-draft-day/page3/search=gabbert,Maddog49er#reply

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/150861-blaine-gabbert-enters-nfl-draft/page3/search=gabbert,Maddog49er#post44
[ Edited by AmpLee on Aug 31, 2013 at 10:27 PM ]
Lies, huh?...

This post, when you finally add the link was probably from February, since Marcel Dareus hadn't Had his March 11 ProDay. So, this was well before, probably two months before the draft. Thanks for posting link. march 2 posting.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM ]