LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

MadDog's Niners Draft Grade and Analysis for 2012 NFL Draft

Niners Still Haunted by Jim Harbaugh Mistake

By Doug Williams

Published at 8:26 AM PST on Jan 2, 2017

"The 49ers are still paying the price for ejecting Jim Harbaugh after the 2014 season. The question now is, how many years will they have to continue paying it?

When push came to shove in 2014 in a battle between the head coach and general manager Trent Baalke, 49ers CEO Jed York sided with Baalke. Now, two seasons after, Baalke is gone, too, having been fired along with head coach Chip Kelly at the tail end of a 2-14 season.

There are the pre-Harbaugh 49ers and the post-Harbaugh 49ers, and both have been ugly. The Harbaugh era, however, stands like a beacon. Consider:"
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Niners-Still-Haunted-by-Jim-Harbaugh-Mistake--409323835.html%3famp=y

There's pre-Harbaugh and post-Harbaugh ... That's it until we win a nfc title again. I didn't decide it to be this way? Sometimes life is what it is. We cannot go into virtual reality mode and escape it.

Everything else is false narrative hard at work. The truth hurts but it helps people move on from what I hear?

I know it's hard believe me, there's things I'm dealing with that Ihave to overcome in my life but there's no excuses for Jed's blunders nor baalke's coddling nor Harbaugh's firing.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jul 15, 2018 at 7:36 AM ]
"The bio does provide him with some credit for the winning years. It mentions the NFC title games and Super Bowl, and then the next sentence starts with "His strong leadership was also instrumental in..." (emphasis mine). It's just stupid nonsense, but it's one more little thing that makes me laugh about the absurdity of this situation. I always felt like the Harbaugh-York/Baalke breakup revolved around petty BS egos. This just adds fuel to the idea that this involved grown-ups acting like five year olds. I suppose it could just be a coincidence, but I am not inclined to believe in coincidences."

Jed York bio removes mention of Jim Harbaugh as part of 49ers success
By David Fucillo on October 11, 2015 9:14 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2015/10/11/9504345/jed-york-bio-removes-mention-of-jim-harbaugh-as-part-of-49ers-success

Our owner was too busy worrying about changing narratives and history than chasing that Super Bowl ring.. I'm allergic to that b******t. I'm a die hard niner fan from out east. I have no bias outlook. (West coast guy) Harbaugh came here turned our squad around, in return we said f**k off and hired fartsula.

I spot it very quickly around here. He was helping our team when others like our owner and baalke was playing the backstab game during a f**king Super Bowl window if time mattered at all...

I hold allegiance to none of them, I can spot a successful person and or success is no coincidence..

Saying we were better off is a false narrative.. Am I suppose to forget this? Or read Jed's bio?

Trust me alot of employers would rather choose the kiss ass at work over the guy that does his job but won't take any s**t because they can control them. Better off? Nah
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jul 15, 2018 at 8:32 AM ]
Posting articles from years ago. Yah no false narrative there.

The 9ers are better off long term with Shanahan and Lynch. Sorry that you are rooting so hard for failure than you can't see it and have to make everything about Trent Baalke.

So you can spot a successful person huh? So is Kyle a successful person?

This is the new Joe Steve argument with you being the old guy saying getting rid of Joe will keep us from ever winning again.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jul 15, 2018 at 9:02 AM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Posting articles from years ago. Yah no false narrative there.

The 9ers are better off long term with Shanahan and Lynch. Sorry that you are rooting so hard for failure than you can't see it and have to make everything about Trent Baalke.

So you can spot a successful person huh? So is Kyle a successful person?

This is the new Joe Steve argument with you being the old guy saying getting rid of Joe will keep us from ever winning again.

You fail to see my point again as well as continue to create the false narrative. The decision was a wrong one. We did not need to go through 3 coaches to get John Lynch and Shanny. You continue to try to make an argument like it was the right decision despite the 3 coaches and years of depleted roster to get there.

Stop it. Agree to disagree if you still believe that 3 coaches later and and depleted roster was the route to take. I strongly disagree with that. The facts back it up. The depleted roster and the circle of coaches to justify the fire was avoidable.

We don't have Bill Billichek now.. You are trying so hard to ignore the 3 coaches and depleted roster that took to get John Lynch and Shanny.

No coach Nor gm is worth 3 coaches and a depleted roster. Unnecessary fire, meaning it wasn't work related it was a ego trip.. Thus my point that you fail to see there's a big difference and context matters here.

John Lynch had the same experience at the gm job as Harbaugh did coming into the job.

If you fail to see my point again and continue to use false narratives as tactics, I will assume you're posts are sent by Jed's pr department.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jul 15, 2018 at 10:29 AM ]
You are right they didn't need to go through 3 coaches to get here. It should've been either Shanahan or Gase in 2015 with both Harbaugh and Baalke fired.

Firing Harbaugh and hiring Tomsula are two independent events. One was the right move one was clearly the wrong move. Keeping Baalke was also clearly the wrong move. It should've been Gase or Shanahan with a new GM.

I know what your point is. Firing Harbaugh set us back a decade. You have said it multiple times. I completely disagree.

Since you like Colin Cowherd videos so much how about you post the one where he thinks we will be in the NFC title game.
I would love to be wrong but I don't think we have the pieces to be a playoff off team, I believe we are a good draft or two away.

And not because I want to make a point but because of the talent needed on defense. I'm not sold on Armstead or Ward. We need an edge and some quality receivers.

Imho opinion a draft or two away. Get Rashan Gary, some wr help and some cb depth.

Those are my reasons why, not because of any other reason but the pieces needed. I like Colin Cowerd but he isn't the only person, media, fan that thinks it was a mistake, most of the country does except for a few in denial but we still need quality players.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jul 15, 2018 at 12:40 PM ]
When ya have elite offensive scheming you can make do with lesser offensive talent. The Trent Taylor's and George Kittles outplay their draft positions.
When ya have elite offensive scheming you can make do with lesser offensive talent. The Trent Taylor's and George Kittles outplay their draft positions.

You conveniently forgot a qb came into the picture mid season.. What did scheming do prior Jimmy? How many games Shanny won pre-Jimmy with all that scheming...The talent is needed, It goes hand in hand. Nice try though.

The gm can't take days off on draft days or actually need to work and not look at his sticker of the year award all day and night....

(When you trade away an Alex Smith, you try replacing him.)

Not shine that sticker. At some point you gotta do your job.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jul 15, 2018 at 3:03 PM ]
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
We would have won our 6th ring if we didn't coddle a bum who knew nothing about his job?

The guy who couldn't draft and do his job is the one that got us in this hole we are in.. When you draft garbage for years.. guess what you become garbage..

Self inflicted wounds.. It's going to take John Lynch and Shanny a couple more years to get where we wana be.

Unfortunately due to incompetence and arrogance.. Which to me is no excuse as an organization.

One guy had a track record, the other got an employee of the year sticker. Guess who we choose. The moron and boy are we paying for that dumb decision.

Because Harbaugh can recruit in college has no bearing on his personnel acumen in the NFL. Lombardi has already shown himself to be a failure and any other real GM wouldn't want to deal with Jim's antics. We are better off with what we have now.

You forget his track record in college carried over to the nfl, 44-19-1 as well as having the best 3 year tenure in the nfl and gambling on Alex Smith who everyone gave up on.

At the time there was a decision. It was the wrong decision.

If you call 3 coaches later and a depleted roster a success handed over to a coach and gm that asked for 6 year contracts, than I don't know who you cheering for?

You don't make a 4 year project into a 10 year project and say oh we are better off because people couldn't get pass their arrogance. It's convenient but It didn't have to be a 10 year project if coddling wasn't involved. People's arrogance made it into a 10 year project.

Arrogance is what lead us here, continued blind faith in a guy who decimated this roster and replaced it with an All Acl Crew.

Your Michigan bias is off the charts dude.

Harbaugh got a stacked roster and did very little to show us if it wasn't for Baalke that we'd be rolling in talent. Pretty sure he was the same guy who didn't like Richard Sherman or Doug Baldwin after coaching them but thought Jonathan Martin was someone to help this team.

He's perfect for college. If he ever gets back in the NFL coaching he better change things up and actually innovate on offense. Kyle doesn't have the talented roster, he doesn't have the veteran D.C. and he had the team looking like they're going in the right direction.

Baalke proved to be a s**t GM but Harbaugh wasn't a saint either and he was stubborn and unwilling to change things around. In college he can recruit based on his "success" in the NFL but fact is with tha talent we had on that 2012 team we never should've lost to the Ravens and the fact that we came out looking so damn flat in the first half vs a team coached by his brother is really sad.
Originally posted by genus49:
Your Michigan bias is off the charts dude.

Harbaugh got a stacked roster and did very little to show us if it wasn't for Baalke that we'd be rolling in talent. Pretty sure he was the same guy who didn't like Richard Sherman or Doug Baldwin after coaching them but thought Jonathan Martin was someone to help this team.

He's perfect for college. If he ever gets back in the NFL coaching he better change things up and actually innovate on offense. Kyle doesn't have the talented roster, he doesn't have the veteran D.C. and he had the team looking like they're going in the right direction.

Baalke proved to be a s**t GM but Harbaugh wasn't a saint either and he was stubborn and unwilling to change things around. In college he can recruit based on his "success" in the NFL but fact is with tha talent we had on that 2012 team we never should've lost to the Ravens and the fact that we came out looking so damn flat in the first half vs a team coached by his brother is really sad.

Why because it didn't go the way the haters wanted and Harbaugh still has a job? Why because most said here wait a couple of years to see where we are and where's Harbaugh?

The reality of the situation is some despise him so much that it blinds them from seeing the facts.

There's pre Harbaugh and post Harbaugh, accept it. The Harbaugh haters gotta deal with that. The rest of the country knows what monkey games went on here.

Where was my bias when he was in San Diego st? Standford? Because there is no bias. He wins. The other guy made draft classes disappear, yet you think I'm suppose to buy the fake narrative that we were better off? Lol yea sure

Now conveniently four years later it's my Michigan bias. Lol, I know everything but give him credit.

Why because I give credit where it's due? Some should try that around here and stop faking like he wasn't the best coach we had in 10+ years but from the posts here the hate won't let you give credit.

It's transparent how much posters want to see him fail.. Don't be mad he is a winner, be mad at the fact the owner chose to stick with the loser. Some just cannot give him credit, they will do everything but give him credit for turning us around,

Baalke lived off of Scott's drafts and we continue to coddle him and create a million and one excuses for the guy.

You want to know what's really sad was 9 years of nothing.. Then 3 straight title games... The post Harbaugh more s**t. Nobody gives him credit. Just posters whine and cry about losing a super bowl, maybe if draft classes didn't disappear we could have kept up with Seattle.

We should do a where are they now on the 2013 draft class. Hint.. most if not all are not in the nfl. How many coaches can work with 0??? NOW THATS SAD
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jul 15, 2018 at 4:05 PM ]

You conveniently forgot a qb came into the picture mid season.. What did scheming do prior Jimmy? How many games Shanny won pre-Jimmy with all that scheming...The talent is needed, It goes hand in hand. Nice try though.

The gm can't take days off on draft days or actually need to work and not look at his sticker of the year award all day and night....

(When you trade away an Alex Smith, you try replacing him.)

Not shine that sticker. At some point you gotta do your job.

Jimmy played 5 games. Even with Hoyer the offense was moving the ball. Just couldn't score tds because Hoyer wasnt any good.

If Shanny had Frank Gore Vernon Davis Michael Crabtree Ted Ginn and Delanie Walker he wouldn't go an entire game without converting a 3rd down that's for sure. You do need talent.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jul 15, 2018 at 4:30 PM ]
I don't want to see Jim Harbaugh fail. I just know his offense is schematically mediocre and that will make it difficult for him to ever succeed on the highest level. Defense will have to carry Michigan to a title ala Alabama.

The best way for him to win at Michigan would to be get an innovative offensive mind and give them full control like he does on D. Then they'd have a real chance.
Jimmy played 5 games. Even with Hoyer the offense was moving the ball. Just couldn't score tds because Hoyer wasnt any good.

If Shanny had Frank Gore Vernon Davis Michael Crabtree Ted Ginn and Delanie Walker he wouldn't go an entire game without converting a 3rd down that's for sure. You do need talent.

Let me approach this in a different way. There was a battle over there between the niners and the seaturds.

Drafting became the advantage or deciding factor in the epic battle that some choose to ignore. One gm replenished and the other chose Tank Carradine to replace a guy who played with a broken arm. Let's take a guess where Tank was, on the bench recovering from a college acl. Let's compare draft classes 2012-2014 to seaturds 2012-2014 draft classes. The core players were picked by Scott.

If John Lynch gives Shanny 0 to replenish a tired contending defense. How much scheming could Shanny do prior Jimmy? We had 0 wins.

0 talent or Acl patients > Scheming. You work with what you have.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jul 15, 2018 at 4:40 PM ]
Let me approach this in a different way. There was a battle over there between the niners and the seaturds.

Drafting became the advantage. One gm replenished and the other chose Tank Carradine to replace a guy who played with a broken arm. Let's take a guess where Tank was, on the bench recovering from a college acl. Let's compare draft classes 2012-2014 to seaturds 2012-2014 draft classes. The core players were picked by Scott.

If John Lynch gives Shanny 0 to replenish a tired contending defense.

0 talent or Acl patients > Scheming. You work with what you have.

Seattle drafting has been abysmal for 5 years now. Who did they replenish with after 2012? What pro bowler have they even drafted the last 5 years? Their best draft pick of the last 5 years likes to hit women.

Haven't replaced Marshawn Lynch. Haven't replaced Golden Tate. Justin Britt is a poor poor mans version of Max Unger. Now they need to replace Bennett Sherman Richardson Avril and Chancellor.

That wasn't the difference.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jul 15, 2018 at 4:42 PM ]
Seattle drafting has been abysmal for 5 years now. Who did they replenish with after 2012? What pro bowler have they even drafted the last 5 years? Their best draft pick of the last 5 years likes to hit women.

That wasn't the difference.

Compare trent baalke's draft classes. So making a draft class disappear and picking the all acl crew is not a difference maker??? Huh

What if John Lynch gives Shanny 0. What do you think Shanny should do? Play himself?
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jul 15, 2018 at 4:46 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone