LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

MadDog's Niners Draft Grade and Analysis for 2012 NFL Draft

Originally posted by BayArea:
I am glad we didn't take Fleener in the 1st. I was surprised they picked Jenkins but the more I see of him the more it grows on me. Everybody was saying they were going to pick Fleener I was just thinking how bad that would be to add another TE when what we really needed was a WR. I am happy with it and give them a B for that, an F is WAY to harsh.

Yup. Even if you think the players drafted were an F, at least give a D for the fantastic trading for future picks. We have a stockpile of draft picks next year which we don't even need...I think we are going to trade up next year to acquire a high end pick.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
MadDog, I tend to agree with most everything you say and hate to see people nitpick at your opinions.

Being the most raw, natural pass rusher in the draft I wanted Aldon Smith badly, but didn't see any way that we would draft him (given that he projected in the late teens to early 20's and many felt he was a better fit for a 4-3). I could still see where you were coming from in preferring JJ Watt as a better scheme fit, and safer pick.

Unfortunately, I also don't see the the value or the same elite ability in AJ Jenkins as I saw in Aldon Smith.

I believe that Balke is getting too cute with his selections in trying to look at specific elite traits in a player and projecting them as better players based on these measurable traits (trying the Billy Beane sabermetrics approach). Last year it was Aldon Smith and his unique arm length. This year it is AJ Jenkins and his hand size/arm length/40. Aldon Smith was a great prospect and a great natural pass rusher. His arms may have been an asset for doing this, but it was not his arm length in particular that made him the elite athlete that he is. He has violent hands, a high motor, can rush inside and out, and displayed such a natural ability to rush the passer. We hit a homerun on Aldon, I'm just afraid that we did it for the wrong reasons and that in hitting on Aldon Smith, this faulty approach is vindicated in Baalke's eyes.

If it was really explosion we were targeting we could have gotten this in spades with our later picks. I'm no expert, but am entitled to my opinion (as are all of us here). If I were the GM, my draft would have been as follows:

1) Cordy Glenn
2) Rueben Randle
4) Joe Adams (I would have traded out of the 3rd as well as there were too many good players at non-positions of need, but would have used the 4th round pick)
4) Josh Norman
5) Chris Rainey
6) Markelle Martin
6) David Molk
7) Cam Johnson

Time will tell which draft will be better, but I just don't see any level of ability that the 1st and 2nd day of Baalke's draft brings, that Day 3 of mine doesn't.

As far as 49er fans hyping up our picks. It is UNREAL. Colin Kaepernick being voted the best QB and Joe Looney being neck and neck with David Decastro is absurd.

If you could show me one "Joe Looney Bandwagon" thread or even mention leading up to the draft then I will rest my case. Looney, while a solid run blocker throughout college, looked terrible in one practice at the Senior Bowl and hurt his foot in the process. Decastro on the other hand has done nothing but dominate both in college, combine, and pro day. While Looney may very well end up a solid player and pick, what has changed between now and two weeks ago other than the fact that Looney was drafted by the 49ers? Any player can sound good in theory when you look at the height/weight/highlights, these are NFL players, and now that they are 49ers these 49er fans are trying so hard to make them into something that they're not.

I think threads like these should be bumped throughout the year. It will be interesting to see how everyone's preferred mocks turn out this season.
  • bors
  • Veteran
de castro de broke doe
Originally posted by bors:
de castro de broke doe

And was struggling prior to that.
Great analysis, but I do have a comment.

MD, you always seem to get fixated on a player for the first round. 2011, it was JJ Watt and this year Decastro. It seems as if we have the chance to land these players, but don't, the first round grade is a D or F.
this thread is still going.......
Lmao Maddog is Grant Cohn
Lol at slowey pick getting an A
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Totally agree, a small school player who probably would have been undrafted, to give that an A is very curious.
Originally posted by 9erred:

Totally agree, a small school player who probably would have been undrafted, to give that an A is very curious.

And he is already cut. Bong.

• Garce
  • Veteran

It's about value bruh.....
Lots of ways to award grades, as we all know. An A can mean a top flight contributor to the team regardless of position from which drafted, or A because of contribution relative to position to the draft. I dare say many high pick draft picks contribute to a team's success, but to a much lower level than expected. Conversely, some make a high contribution from a low draft pick slot. An agreed upon measure of contribution is also necessary.

For example, rookie draft pick 1 hauls in 7 TD catches. A number 6 draft pick picks up 5 TD catches. Does draft pick 1 get a higher grade than draft pick 6?

I think it's difficult to compare draft pick grades unless the same parameters are applied. But, it's interesting nevertheless to present grades.

Of course, prior to setting foot onto a field to play a pro game, it's a different story. Do we judge on purely collegiate stats, or judge on the basis of where we think they will be after a year of play?
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Aug 30, 2012 at 5:44 AM ]
Originally posted by Garcia:

It's about value bruh.....

So you are saying Slowey was a value pick??

I think you mean he was a dark horse long shot pick?? Value would be taking the first round calibur CB with legal troubles that the Patriots got in round 7. That is value.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Once again, a few years down the road, a clear picture of the strength of this draft will emerge.

lol understatement of the year
Originally posted by A-R-S:
lol understatement of the year

Just takes some time. No immediate answers. Can't get too high or too low in the preseason. Have to wait through the first year and even beyond to see how it all plays out. That being said, the draft I had in my BPA feels good at this point.

Round One- Peter Konz, C/G
Round Two- Mohamed Sanu, WR
Round Three- Brandon Thompson, NT
Round Four- Malik Jackson, DE
Round Five- Vick Ballard, RB
Round Six- Antonio Allen, SS
Round Seven- Derrius Brooks, CB

Share 49ersWebzone