LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 162 users in the forums

MadDog's Niners Draft Grade and Analysis for 2012 NFL Draft

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I don't do mock drafts, instead choosing to focus on our needs. OL ,OG in particular, was of paramount importance. CW says you can draft a good OL in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rds, but I look back at Snyder and Baas, both non first rounders, and we got 2nd , 3rd and 4th rd material...which was insufficient to fill our needs, ie a rock solid OL. So sure, I would love to have seen us trade up for one of the 3 or 4 OL guys. I had really hoped for deCastro or zeitler.

Generally, all pro OLs come out of first rd, and there is enough of a fall off after that to suggest if you need OL, go for it in 1st rd, even if you have to draft up. I suspect, B& H feel their in-camp-waiting-in-the-wings OL (Kilgore in particular) is plenty good enough to improve over snyder. Obviously they got security in later rds, which many of us wondered about. But make no mistake, this draft was not about particular players, this draft was about making our glaring weakness a strength. Those faulting the AJ pick, might be interested in looking at his hands compared to GOAT, Jerry Rice. If anything they are bigger. Coach Zook felt that AJ has great speed, soft but strong hands that resemble peach baskets, moreso than hands, (is not great with RAC), but overall, will end up being our #1 wR. It is just a matter of when, but probably this season.

As for the glaring weakness, it is obviously 3rd down and in RZ. At end of yr we had vernon and craps, which really means just vernon. Crbtre disappeared at end of season and in playoffs. So the 9ers drafted for situation, not players(altho obviously related), and with LaMichael split out and AJ , vernon, mario, maybe moss, Delanie, maybe williams (but that would be a surprise), and lastly craps , all of a sudden our glaring weakness appears well on the way to being fixed. Depth on D filled out the slate, but to say we got a D or F grade with AJ is just mystifying. My guess is he plays better than Hill, Floyd, et al,and that our coaches knew that...and we don't. I think AJ ends up being the O mirror image of ALL DONE. La Michael gives us that extra dimension, eliminates the box 8 permanently, and was drafted primarily to fix our 3rd down failures. I believe Aj and LaMichael will do just that. On basis of those two picks alone, I give baalke and Coach an A for the draft. The rest was just insurance...depth, if you will, on D.

My one prediction this draft was that we would take early on, guys I had never heard of or those I knew but never imagined in the gold and red. Baalke and Harbaugh did not disappoint. Mad dog, you did a yeoman's job on your draft work, but came up short on your grading. Put me down for an A.

Thanks for your comments. Time will tell who is right, although it usually takes years. You know I will be around.
Grade of your analysis: F

Pretty bad grades/analysis. I can't see how you'd rank LaMichael James so poorly.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Thanks for your comments. Time will tell who is right, although it usually takes years. You know I will be around.

I dont know if right and wrong exists, as concepts for the draft. There are two many other variables.

You contributed to the experience of the NFL Draft here. How the players pan out is an entirely separate matter.

Nice work.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
For some people, any time you do not fall in line with Niners management, you become an enemy to the team. I get it. No biggie.
like the arrogance they showed during the manning, smith fiasco. you and i were all alone on that one i think you can be critical of the office and decisions without being told by posters...."I bet you were a fan of sing and nolan"
Originally posted by cciowa:
For some people, any time you do not fall in line with Niners management, you become an enemy to the team. I get it. No biggie.
like the arrogance they showed during the manning, smith fiasco. you and i were all alone on that one i think you can be critical of the office and decisions without being told by posters...."I bet you were a fan of sing and nolan"

Sometimes it is not so much what you say as the way you choose to say it. But hey, both you and MadDog have the history, you should both know that!!!

But it remains, MadDog, OTC and others did great work here before and during the draft and the webzone would have been a poorer place without their efforts.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Sometimes it is not so much what you say as the way you choose to say it. But hey, both you and MadDog have the history, you should both know that!!!

But it remains, MadDog, OTC and others did great work here before and during the draft and the webzone would have been a poorer place without their efforts.
Very true.I have learned to really read a post before I hit send.When you are in the middle of a meltdown it is very hard to think clearly as your emotions take over. Mr spock said , your emotions will be your undoing By the way mad dog, thank you for your comments about my daughters wedding friday. it went well and you guys would appreciate this. Her big sister did the flowers and made sure amanda had a 49er button on her bouquet! they are, of course, huge niner fans
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
if this is not appropriate for this thread please move it but was just going to ask the dog if he is still here, or anyone else,, if he or you liked the"strategy" the niners used in trading,moving around, getting more picks for next year. They and the Gm got high words of praise for that part of things this weekend and was just wondering what those smarter than me think. Again if this is not appropriate place for discussion on this, get rid of it
13 picks! Unless we re-trade them. That is going to be an epic draft
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
if this is not appropriate for this thread please move it but was just going to ask the dog if he is still here, or anyone else,, if he or you liked the"strategy" the niners used in trading,moving around, getting more picks for next year. They and the Gm got high words of praise for that part of things this weekend and was just wondering what those smarter than me think. Again if this is not appropriate place for discussion on this, get rid of it

I think that has to be a part of the evaluation of the draft. I like the moves because he turned one pick into multiple picks over a couple years. If the philosophy is to build via the draft, well then we strengthen our roster with more draft picks. I liked the draft, and the extra picks
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

maybe next year they will really take a look at the defensive line with the guys getting older not to mention replace some of the guys who are all on one year deals this year?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HySzjKpJkW4&feature=player_embedded#!

I think they did a great job b/c I really don't feel they missed out on any talent that could contribute this year. I would have a problem if they were just making deals while leaving talented players on the board. so of course it's all a matter of opinion. The next poster can come and say they thought certain trades were bad b/c they could have drafted so and so. In the 1st round they refused to trade pick 30 to the Vikings b/c they wanted the player over extra picks. So to them the value of the player outweighed the picks. Conversely later on in the draft they did the opposite by taking extra picks over drafting a prospect. This to me shows flexibility with our front office. They are willing to make deals when they see value and ready to turn them down when they see value in players they have graded. Lets me know they think every move through thoroughly, and won't just make a trade to make a trade.

we wont pick 13 guys, we will package a few and move up for guys
Peter King from SI would differ from your opinion on the job Baalke did. It's just one opinion but not EVERYONE thinks this draft and the job the Niners did was horrible.

GM of the weekend (tie): Trent Baalke, San Francisco; Buddy Nix, Buffalo. I detailed Baalke's multiple moves to set up the Niners as a power player in the 2013 draft. And getting LaMichael James late in the second round gives Jim Harbaugh the home-run back he hasn't had in an offense that needs a threat like that. As for Nix, who rebuilt his defensive end position in free agency (Mario Williams, Mark Anderson), he bought a new secondary over the weekend, with first- and fourth-round corners (Stephon Gilmore and Ron Brooks) who will become starting and nickel corners, respectively.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/30/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1tYCt2Lzl

love what the 49ers did late Friday night and Saturday.

To become a great general manager, you have to be willing to take some chances. You have to be willing, on draft day, to make decisions that can impact your team for the next few years, positively or negatively. You have to have the courage of your convictions that if you trade down and lose the player you wanted in the first place, you'll be OK with that; the risk was worth it.

That happened to San Francisco general manager Trent Baalke late Friday night, as the third round was winding down. The 49ers had the 29th pick in the round, the 92nd pick overall. They liked a guard from Wake Forest named Joe Looney. Baalke knew the Niners liked Looney better than a lot of teams. He knew he might be able to get Looney in the fourth round. Might. No guarantees. And if he lost him, Baalke felt fine going with the next man on the board. So when the Colts called looking for a late-third-round pick, Baalke traded 92 to the Colts for the 97th pick and Indy's fifth-round pick in 2013.

On Saturday, at the start of round four, Baalke still thought he could wait for Looney. He dealt 97 to Miami for the Dolphins' fourth-round pick, 103 overall, plus the 196th pick and a sixth-round pick in 2013. At 103, Looney was still there. San Francisco was picking 125th. Dare Baalke wait? Carolina came calling for the 103rd pick, and Baalke dealt that pick for the 180th in this draft and a third-round pick in 2013.

Tick. Tick. Tick. No guards went from 103 to 111, and Chicago was a candidate, but the Bears passed on the line, as did Arizona at 112, and now Baalke was pressing the outer limits, and he picked up the phone and made a deal with Detroit, trading up eight spots from 125 to 117 and throwing in the Miami pick acquired an hour earlier (196) in order to draft Looney ... 25 picks after the Niners were going to take him at 92.

So at the end of the dealing, the Niners got their man. And they got this:

• The 180th pick in 2012 -- Michigan State free safety Trenton Robinson.

• Carolina's third-round pick in 2013.

• Indianapolis' fifth-round pick in 2013.

• Miami's sixth-round pick in 2013.

Along with a seventh-round pick in 2013 from Cincinnati in the Taylor Mays trade, and likely compensatory picks for losing guard Adam Snyder and wide receiver Josh Morgan in free agency, San Francisco now sits with a projected 13 picks in the 2013 draft, the most of any team in the league.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/30/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1tYDXStnl
you know the world is close to freezing over when guys on a niner board are praising peter king's opinion
Originally posted by lamontb:
you know the world is close to freezing over when guys on a niner board are praising peter king's opinion

exactly

bash a guy when he disagrees with you but love him when he agrees......zone logic
Share 49ersWebzone