There are 211 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So, there never was a 3 TE in the works

After many, incl myself, thot that we would get our good hands guy, the one guy that absolutely, positively could catch a ball, Fleener wasn't the man after all. After looking at pics of the hands of AJ, it is no surprise that Baalke and Harbaugh were intrigued. He has long tapered fingers, like, like...umm...how about GOAT,, Jerry Rice? The rundown that he can separate, and that he uses his body to protect the ball...man , if he can do that, I love him. Not supposed to be great with RAC, but who the heck cares. We just had to have that one guy that when you throw it to....or near him, well, he catches it. Evidentally that is what his coach, Zook, thot of him too. Wonder if Harbaugh knew Zook from the collegiate days, and furthermore, wonder if one called the other. It surely could have happened. In any event, we now have a second first rd pick that I never saw play....until the highlite reels...after the draft. One thing you have to say about Baalke and Harbaugh. They are not now, nor will they ever be , even remotely influenced by what the fans (or WZ) thinks. These guys know their man, and get him.

AJ didn't win 2 Biletnikof trophies...but Blackmon did...come to think of it, so did crbtre, and it didn't seem to make him all world. Give me a working man any day, and I'll be happy. Say, ALL DONE Smith...now there's a working man, and i suspect, we just got another. If the rest of our draft goes off like this, with guys I never even thot about, with Baalke and Harbaugh at the wheel...we are in great hands.
Well, there goes the theory that we had to have an OG, also. LaMichael James, who in the world thot of him...not I , nor did many other folks. Yet in retrospect, Baalke and Harbaugh have addressed the Red Zone O, the 3rd and 4 or 3rd and 8 with LaMichael James. He is a darren sproles, or reggie bush type of back who is out there in wings, just behind the slot receiver, and nobody knows where he is going or when,, or how. What we do know is that our 3rd and anything and our complete lack of a WR game are now things of the past. Maybe kilgore starts, or maybe we get 2 unknown OL guys...what we do know is that 3rd and short or Red Zone 3rd downs are going to be hell on wheels to defend, with LaMichael out there. How they cover that kid will be interesting to see. But whatever the D does, with J. Jenkins as WR and LaMichael sitting out in the wings, our 3rd down miseries look to have been immeasurably improved. I wouldn't want to be the D when LaMichael is out there, frank is in , Vernon is there, crbtre is a decoy(maybe), plus we have delanie, moss and Jacobs. Defenses are now going to have to guess on 3rd down, because we just have so many options....whereas last yr we had two...vernon and craps...which means we had one option, vernon. I can't wait for our first 3rd down series. Wow, talk about upgrading your weakest link...jeez, we just made it one of our stronget points.

Somewhere we are going to have to come up with some OL projects, assuming kilgore starts...or do B& H have a starting OG in their sights at picks 3-7? Stay tuned. I never would have guessed the coach and GM would have gone so whole hog on our one deadly sin...3rd and short and RZ and short. Man, they have done it again. OH, and also, laMichael returns punts. Hmmmm. A + for our guys who still have 5 more picks unless they bundle one to move up. But so far no movement but down 3, indicating they have a definite target in sight. Talk about an exciting draft...this is it.
we have a 3rd TE who jim hasnt gotten to mold yet
yeah, Jeff,but i was thinking about a schidt hot TE, fleener, to give us the 3 TE pack. Would have been great, but AJ is even better, and with LaMichael, holy smokes. I am going to be looking for 3rd downs, now, not fearing them. No matter what we did w/ Fleener, we couldn't have done better than B& H did. Our 3rd TE can be our project, not our go to guy on 3rd down. It just looks like we are set every way from Sunday. Jeez, what a draft,and we only got 2 guys. If a good draft is 3 starters, and we have 5 more picks, I shudder to think what our illustrious duo have up their sleeves. Impressive, just really impressive. If you haven't done it yet, check out AJs hands. sheesh. They look more like peach baskets than hands.(in size). Actually they are neat to look at with nicely tapered fingers, great for squeezing the ball to death. We be ready....but Lord bring us some OL backups, please.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
yeah, Jeff,but i was thinking about a schidt hot TE, fleener, to give us the 3 TE pack. Would have been great, but AJ is even better, and with LaMichael, holy smokes. I am going to be looking for 3rd downs, now, not fearing them. No matter what we did w/ Fleener, we couldn't have done better than B& H did. Our 3rd TE can be our project, not our go to guy on 3rd down. It just looks like we are set every way from Sunday. Jeez, what a draft,and we only got 2 guys. If a good draft is 3 starters, and we have 5 more picks, I shudder to think what our illustrious duo have up their sleeves. Impressive, just really impressive. If you haven't done it yet, check out AJs hands. sheesh. They look more like peach baskets than hands.(in size). Actually they are neat to look at with nicely tapered fingers, great for squeezing the ball to death. We be ready....but Lord bring us some OL backups, please.

Byham is 6'4 260+.....big target to play with. People forget him easily.
We could still upgrade at TE with either Orson Charles or Ladarius Green. Green would be a 4th round version of Fleener. Same size and speed, but not as good a route runner.

Where Green is a tall redzone and seam threatening TE who can't block, Charles is the complete package, he can catch and run. He has fallen because he 40 time was slow, 4.75 with a 20 mph wind and 4.9 against the wind. But he has short area quickness for his size.

Than there is James Hanna, and Taylor Thompson who are both faster, but aren't as productive.
Originally posted by mebemused:
We could still upgrade at TE with either Orson Charles or Ladarius Green. Green would be a 4th round version of Fleener. Same size and speed, but not as good a route runner.

Where Green is a tall redzone and seam threatening TE who can't block, Charles is the complete package, he can catch and run. He has fallen because he 40 time was slow, 4.75 with a 20 mph wind and 4.9 against the wind. But he has short area quickness for his size.

Than there is James Hanna, and Taylor Thompson who are both faster, but aren't as productive.
better guys next year
  • mike
  • Veteran
Haw haw toldya so.

"BUT FLEENERS FROM STANFORD OMGZ HARBS GUNNA GIT HIM"
Originally posted by mike:
Haw haw toldya so.

"BUT FLEENERS FROM STANFORD OMGZ HARBS GUNNA GIT HIM"

So glad we didn't take him.

No Fleener 2012!!!!
the speed will spread the defense out, which in turn will open things for the power run game

i suspect we will see roman/harbaugh shuffling in alot of players on most every play
"Well, there went the BOX 8 , Martha". I can't wait to see 8 guys, maybe 9 or 10, standing on the LOS, on 3rd and 2, or 3rd and 3. I desperately hope to see that, because, Baalke and Harbaugh just put that major league problem to bed. Last yr we were what, 29th or 30th in 3rd down conversions? Watch that number fall by half, maybe more. All of a sudden, I can't wait for the RZ offense to hit the field. Nor can I wait for the box 8 on 3rd and short,or 3rd and 7. LaMichael set out on the wings, with Jenkins at WR other side, then Vernon, frank, crbtre, Jacobs...jeez, the possibilites seem endless, and the big deal is LaMichael expects to get that 1st down and more, because that is what he does. On the other side, with AJ, we have a bona fide go-to-guy like Wes Welker, just bigger and way bigger hands. Also w/ the reputation of getting separation, he has to be considered a legit threat on 3rd down and in RZ.

In essence, this draft , to date, was not about Stephen Hill, Fleener,et al, it was about 3rd down conversions. Everyone else was looking at players, but Coach was looking for fixing our one glaring weak situation, and B& H drafted accordingly. With no further picks, this is an A to A+ draft right now...and you know we are going to come up with 2 or 3 other guys, unheralded, who fill in our gaps, maybe push a starter or two. One other note, is something i commented on prior to draft...and that is Harbaugh had an edge over all other nfl coaches, as he had just left a very successful college program(of his own making), and was very familiar with west coast guys, but also was a member of college coaching fraternity, and knew when a coach called him, it was inside info on a player...eg, Jenkins.

To draft #30, and end up fixing our #1 weak link...well....that is an indication of just how good Coach and GM are.
Originally posted by mebemused:

Hanna is interesting. OU didn't utilize him, much to he annoyance to some OU fans I work with. Although, they had no idea of his physical capabilities until the combine.
Makes scouting pretty difficult.
if anything this proves that haraugh thought our WR pretty much sucked last year and thats the only reason we ran consistant multiple TE set vd WR
Yeah, alldaway, in addition to 3rd down and short, we are going to be immeasurably better on 1st down. No more 4 yards, 1 incomplete pass, and 3rd and 6, which we usually didn't convert. O is going to be one helluva lot more dynamic, but on 3rd down, we should be dangerous. Last yr we were predictable,, this yr we are going to expect to convert on 3rd dwn. There are going to be a lot more first downs in the first two plays, also. I actually see fewer third down situations. But when we do have 3rd down, I think coach will expect us to convert EVERY time.
What I've learned: Harbaugh doesn't care if you are from Stanford or not. If you don't fit, you don't fit.