There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bruce Irvin first round promise?

Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Don't see it, where would he play? We just signed Brooks to mega-bucks and Aldon Smith is on the other side. 5 linebacker defense?

Irvin's a pure pass-rusher -- can't do anything else. so he would come in and spell brooks to rush the passer. Maybe in 2 - 3 years he can play 3 downs.

but as a rookie, he'll produce sacks.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Don't see it, where would he play? We just signed Brooks to mega-bucks and Aldon Smith is on the other side. 5 linebacker defense?

Irvin's a pure pass-rusher -- can't do anything else. so he would come in and spell brooks to rush the passer. Maybe in 2 - 3 years he can play 3 downs.

but as a rookie, he'll produce sacks.

Might make sense for a team that loves to rush the passer with just 4 guys.
If they do pick him, where/when does he play? 3rd down in Brooks' spot? Come in and spell Aldon or Brooks at random? It just seems like someone who wouldn't play much.

But most guys they could draft wouldn't play much year 1, with the exception of a guard and maybe Fleener. Think about how much our pass rush would suffer if Aldon got hurt...
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

Two questions:

1. how many snaps did Aldon Smith have last year?
2. how good of a pass rusher is Brooks?

Answer to #1 is not very many, and the Answer to #2 is 'decent'. So you bring in Irvin on passing downs
We need to trade down with the Browns. The 2nd and 3rd rounds are stacked this year. Imagine Irvin, Quick, Hayward, and Turbin/Brooks. A+

Two questions:

1. how many snaps did Aldon Smith have last year?
2. how good of a pass rusher is Brooks?

Answer to #1 is not very many, and the Answer to #2 is 'decent'. So you bring in Irvin on passing downs

They should trade down with the Browns to #37 to draft Irvin, picking up another 4th round pick in the process. Then use both 4ths to move up in the 2nd.

Draft around 37, 42, and 90
[ Edited by LieutKaffee on Apr 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM ]
They should trade down with the Browns to #37 to draft Irvin, picking up another 4th round pick in the process. Then use both 4ths to move up in the 2nd.

We'd most likely get a 3rd this year, I think.
like him but not in the first

Solid trade - dead even on points.
Who even attempts a smokescreen at 30 though? I mean if another team loves the guy they would trade ahead of the Niners and not with the Niners for the pick.

and let's not forget this team only has 3 OLB's on the roster. They were really lucky last year with nobody getting injured. What if Aldon or Brooks goes down? We know for sure Parys isn't going to come in and create a pass rush. You can't ever have too many pass rushers. I wouldn't mind the pick at all. Just something fishy about that promise part of the story .
He better be the next Damarcus Ware. I trust Balke, but I just don't see it.

Bruce Irvin, Alshon Jeffrey, and a 3rd round OG. Call it a day.

Bruce Irvin, Best WR or CB Available at #61, and a 3rd round OG. Call it a day.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM ]
Originally posted by hohbie:
100% this. I hope they dont go this route. They are set for OLB and DE for a few years. This would be a waste of a 1st rounder.

No
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Probably nickel situations opposite aldon.
........bowman, willis
Smith, ray ng, smith, irvin

You could even put brooks in at OLB and give a 4-3 look, or a 2-6 look if you want.

Exactly, and this is why it would be a good pick. He'd basically take Aldon's roll from last year! I'm all for it! QB's are gonna be sh*tting bricks next year. Our pass rush would be off the hook.

dont think AJ falls that far....wouldnt surprise me to see him be the first WR taken in the 2nd