LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 359 users in the forums

Does anyone have some insight on James Brown OT/OG from Troy

I am doing a mock draft and I am looking for a player that can compete at RG. I know last year they selected Daniel Kilgore who was a OT from a small school. So might be out thinking myself here but I really like James Brown in the 3rd round. I have only read up on him. I have not seen him play. I tried to watch him on youtube but kept getting wrong James Brown. Imagine that!!! LOL!

Here is a draft profile from www.draftcountdown.com

Strengths:
• Average size but long arms and large hands
• Terrific athleticism, quickness, agility, balance
• Knee bender w/ nimble feet to slide and mirror
• Is able to secure the edge in pass protection
• Active hands and delivers violent initial punch
• Mobile enough to pull and get to second level
• Offers some positional versatility ( OT / OG )
• Is tough, durable, competitive and aggressive
• A hard worker w/ good amount of experience

Weaknesses:
• Shorter than you'd prefer; room to add weight
• Lacks power; won't get huge push in run game
• Could use better leverage, technique, footwork
• Does not always play to the whistle and finish
• May be a 'tweener without a true pro position
• Didn't consistently face top-flight competition

Injury History:
• Sprained an ankle in 2010 but played through it

Notes:
A three-year starter for the Trojans --- Named 2nd Team All-Sun Belt in 2010 and 1st Team in 2011 --- Started out at Southwest Mississippi Community College in 2008 before transferring to Troy --- Won 2005 Mississippi state weightlifting championship --- Could project to both tackle and guard at next level but will likely play on the left side either way --- Finesse type with a nice blend of physical tools and intangibles whose optimal fit might come in a zone blocking scheme --- Underrated prospect with upside and the talent to win a starting job in the NFL.

So far I have Niners drafting 1) TE Coby Fleener 2) WR Brian Quick and I am leaning towards James Brown for the 3rd. So if anyone has saw him play and can give some good information that would be great.
[ Edited by greywolf447 on Apr 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by greywolf447:
I am doing a mock draft and I am looking for a player that can compete at RG. I know last year they selected Daniel Kilgore who was a OT from a small school. So might be out thinking myself here but I really like James Brown in the 3rd round. I have only read up on him. I have not seen him play. I tried to watch him on youtube but kept getting wrong James Brown. Imagine that!!! LOL!

Here is a draft profile from www.draftcountdown.com

Strengths:
• Average size but long arms and large hands
• Terrific athleticism, quickness, agility, balance
• Knee bender w/ nimble feet to slide and mirror
• Is able to secure the edge in pass protection
• Active hands and delivers violent initial punch
• Mobile enough to pull and get to second level
• Offers some positional versatility ( OT / OG )
• Is tough, durable, competitive and aggressive
• A hard worker w/ good amount of experience

Weaknesses:
• Shorter than you'd prefer; room to add weight
• Lacks power; won't get huge push in run game
• Could use better leverage, technique, footwork
• Does not always play to the whistle and finish
• May be a 'tweener without a true pro position
• Didn't consistently face top-flight competition

Injury History:
• Sprained an ankle in 2010 but played through it

Notes:
A three-year starter for the Trojans --- Named 2nd Team All-Sun Belt in 2010 and 1st Team in 2011 --- Started out at Southwest Mississippi Community College in 2008 before transferring to Troy --- Won 2005 Mississippi state weightlifting championship --- Could project to both tackle and guard at next level but will likely play on the left side either way --- Finesse type with a nice blend of physical tools and intangibles whose optimal fit might come in a zone blocking scheme --- Underrated prospect with upside and the talent to win a starting job in the NFL.

So far I have Niners drafting 1) TE Coby Fleener 2) WR Brian Quick and I am leaning towards James Brown for the 3rd. So if anyone has saw him play and can give some good information that would be great.

His ex wife agrees
Share 49ersWebzone