LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

9ersLiferInChicago's Final Mock Before the Draft

Don't like Iloka...there are several S much better in coverage (Taylor, Martin, Trumaine Johnson). Richardson won't last 'til 7th rd. Baalke won't take a WR in 1st rd...he just won't. Silatolu or Zeitler, most likely. You've got two DL and not one OL...that won't work!
Not a fan of Iloka whatsoever....guy is stiff, over-sized for a safety, reminds me of Taylor Mays in quite a few ways, great at defending the run but got absolutely torched at times last year.

Would much rather go with Brandon Taylor or Markelle Martin. Really like both of those guys for their hard hitting, Martin could be an ideal replacement for Goldson should he leave as a free agent next season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 25, 2012 at 11:08 AM ]
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
I know you from Chicago! around these parts this is the BEST mock draft so far!

the best mock draft on the zone ever
ILLOKA REMINDS ME OF ANOTHER OVERSIZED SAFETY WITH STIFF HIPS THAT WILL NEVER START IN THE NFL, HE WILL MAKE A GREAT S/T PLAYER BUT 2ND ROUND IS WAAAAAAAYYYY TO HIGH
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I see your point. But at that point there isn't a OT or OG better than the OL depth we already have. Like I said, we already have good depth on the O-line. Alex Boone (good swing guy, could start when needed), Daniel Kilgore (probably gonna start at RG), Mike Person (still being developed, looks good for coming off the bench), and Chase Beeler (who's being groomed to take over Center at some point). Throwing in a late round OT or G will be nothing more than a camp body unless they are better than Beeler, Boone, or Person. And we have enough OL camp bodies in Derek Hall, Garret Chisolm, and Kenny Wiggins. Personally, I'm confident in JH's grooming and developmental abilities. Keep in mind that we addressed the OL - twice - in last years draft. And by all accounts those guys look great. So I think depth on the defense is much more in need of attention than depth on offense, seeing that we have good depth on the OL already.
Counting on Kilgore to start is too risky IMO. He couldn't beat out Snyder or Rachal last year. If Boone starts, then the Niners won't have a credible backup tackle. The Niners don't need "bodies," but a new starter.
I think you missed on the Iloka pick and I disagree with you about the OG position (clearly a need and can easily be addressed somewhere in the draft)...other than that, the players you did select are solid.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Pretty sure Smith is more of a OLB then DE

He is versitile, but still a DE naturally. Thats were his skills shine best.

He weighs like 255
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I see your point. But at that point there isn't a OT or OG better than the OL depth we already have. Like I said, we already have good depth on the O-line. Alex Boone (good swing guy, could start when needed), Daniel Kilgore (probably gonna start at RG), Mike Person (still being developed, looks good for coming off the bench), and Chase Beeler (who's being groomed to take over Center at some point). Throwing in a late round OT or G will be nothing more than a camp body unless they are better than Beeler, Boone, or Person. And we have enough OL camp bodies in Derek Hall, Garret Chisolm, and Kenny Wiggins. Personally, I'm confident in JH's grooming and developmental abilities. Keep in mind that we addressed the OL - twice - in last years draft. And by all accounts those guys look great. So I think depth on the defense is much more in need of attention than depth on offense, seeing that we have good depth on the OL already.
Counting on Kilgore to start is too risky IMO. He couldn't beat out Snyder or Rachal last year. If Boone starts, then the Niners won't have a credible backup tackle. The Niners don't need "bodies," but a new starter.
Just because he didn't beat out Chilo or Adam don't mean it's a risk to count on him. It could have been that the coaching staff opted to go with the experience rather than the talent/project too soon. Exposing a guy too soon can have disastrous effects. I doubt Boone starts at G, though I hear the coaching staff will take a good look at him at G during training camp. But I think he continues as the swing lineman who they can plug in on either side of the line at T and start when need be. You are right, we do need a starter. And I think that starter will be Kilgore. Just because the fan base, or even the media, hasn't had a good look at him don't mean that Kilgore isn't ready. The thing is that we really don't know for sure. HOWEVER, we do know we moved up to get him, he's been under Harbaugh's development since then, and Harbaugh has shown us that he knows what he's doing. So given that, I defer to Harbaugh's development scheme on this and set aside what I think I see. The fan in me says we should get an OG in this draft somewhere. But the analyst tells me to trust the coaches. That's just how I see it anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone