LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

One reason I think we could trade up... thoughts?

Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Now keep in mind anything is possible in the draft and I am not saying this is going to happen but it is something to look at. When you look at when Atlanta surprisingly traded up and took Julio Jones last year at pick 6, who knows what we may do to make our offense really dynamic like what they tried to do. If you look offensively right now on our depth chart we are stacking the board with competition.

QB's with A. Smith, J. Johnson, C. Kaepernick, S. Tolzien.
RB's with Gore, Jacobs, Hunter, Dixon, and Cartwright.
WR's with Moss, Manningham, Crabtree, Ginn, Williams, Swain.
TE's with Davis, Walker, Peele, Byham, Rueland

Now thats a pretty big list of competition and thats without the draft picks we will use (Other than the depth of the offensive line which can be added after the 1st round).

I am starting to wonder how much will Baalke and Harbaugh get a little trigger happy and go ahead and move up with an immediate impact player. I look at a team like Jacksonville sitting at 7 (one spot away from Julio Jones was picked from last year) and see if a player like Blackmon or Richardson falls that far (which I highly doubt that happens) but hey its the draft you never know. Baalke has moved up 3 times in the last 2 years of the draft (1st A. Davis 2010, 2nd C. Kaepernick 2011, and 5th D. Kilgore 2011). They could either make a move for Floyd or DeCastro from Stanford. I am not putting anything past this front office because they have done nothing but surprise me since Baalke took over this team as GM. This is only for trying to get "that impact player" so dont try and jump all over me.

I like Baalke's style. Get the player you want. Don't let him get picked 5 - 10 slots before you pick. I don't want run of the mill guys at this point for filler or depth. This team is really close.
Originally posted by dj43:
I would not be surprised to see him move up to say #20. That would take our #30, plus a 4th this year and a 3rd next year (discounted value for future pick) according to draft value. Now of course he has to find a partner willing to do that but it is not all that costly for a team that doesn't need ST depth, which is basically what you get with a 4th round pick.

I think if DeCastro falls to the late teens we will be in serious discussion to trade up and grab him... Go Niners!
i want michael floyd.
Baalke seems to have that draft "it"

He knows when to hold -- Aldon Smith -- Trade up -- Kaep, Kilgore -- -and when to draft BPA -- Hunter. Getting Culliver, who played better as a CB (not KR / PR) than Patrick Peterson or Akumakura, coupled with a Pro Bowl FB in Bruce Miller. Person is undecided but he will get PT I think this year.

When to fold -- c**twan Balmer

In 2010 -- Davis and Iupati are good picks, even if people complained about him trading up to get Davis -- it will pan out. Davis showed a lot in his second year, especially standing up in 2 fights. I love his nasty disposition. Bowman as an All Pro already makes up for the fight that he had dingleturd over Taylor Mays. We got a 7th out of that so who knows. If Kyle Williams doesn't fumble in the NFC Championship, people would be high on him. I remember Wendell Tyler fumbling 3 times in a game in 49er uniform, sitting on the bench, with his coat over him. Did Walsh give up on him --- Hell no. I used to joke that they should tape Wendell's check to the ball. Kyle is not a KR / PR and should not be. He is a WR, period. Ginn is the complete opposite.

Baalke's handling of FA / UDFA over the last 2 years has been nothing short of brilliant.

The root of Baalke is big brass balls
Originally posted by Juggernaut49erFan:
I would not be surprised to see him move up to say #20. That would take our #30, plus a 4th this year and a 3rd next year (discounted value for future pick) according to draft value. Now of course he has to find a partner willing to do that but it is not all that costly for a team that doesn't need ST depth, which is basically what you get with a 4th round pick.

I think if DeCastro falls to the late teens we will be in serious discussion to trade up and grab him... Go Niners!

He'll be at the top of the Mel's Best Available and there will be much talk. I've known about DeCastro for a while but only recently read much about him (I thought there was no chance, so why bother) -- If he truly is the best guard prospect since Hutchinson, pull the trigger to get him. We can get a good WR in rounds 2-4. I know Fleener might be there but Maybe Byham is that 3rd TE

Castro and Iupati would be devastating -- Kilgore can also shift to Center or be the swing guard if they like Beeler as the Center of the future
Yeap. Move up and get a starting guard or guard/center. I'm all for it.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Apr 25, 2012 at 12:34 AM ]
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

He'll be at the top of the Mel's Best Available and there will be much talk. I've known about DeCastro for a while but only recently read much about him (I thought there was no chance, so why bother) -- If he truly is the best guard prospect since Hutchinson, pull the trigger to get him. We can get a good WR in rounds 2-4. I know Fleener might be there but Maybe Byham is that 3rd TE

Castro and Iupati would be devastating -- Kilgore can also shift to Center or be the swing guard if they like Beeler as the Center of the future

I'm with you on this one! Go Niners!!! Staley - Iupati - (Kilgore / Beeler) - DeCastro - Davis would be AWESOME!!!!
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

I'm with you on this one! Go Niners!!! Staley - Iupati - (Kilgore / Beeler) - DeCastro - Davis would be AWESOME!!!!
Man that woud be the most dominant offensive line in like 20 years. We would have the most stacked offensive line since it pains me to say it the Dallas cowboys of the 90''s.
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
this is a awesome idea! don't know why other mock pundits ain't think of this scenario! we move up! mind blowing good work!
It would be a mistake to trade up for Decastro.

1. You're either going to lose a package of picks or lose a 1st rounder next year.

2. Very, very unlikely to keep Iupati and Decastro long term. You just can't break the bank on 2 guards. I know that won't be til 5 years down the road but if you're losing picks on top of that there's just better options.

Originally posted by tjd808185:
It would be a mistake to trade up for Decastro.

1. You're either going to lose a package of picks or lose a 1st rounder next year.

2. Very, very unlikely to keep Iupati and Decastro long term. You just can't break the bank on 2 guards. I know that won't be til 5 years down the road but if you're losing picks on top of that there's just better options.

DeCastro may be the final piece we need to get our 6th ring (maybe more). If that's the case, I say move up, take him and if we lose the 32nd pick nest year, so be it. With the new CBA, the rookie salary cap helps to ensure at least another 4 years of an outstanding OL. Lets get the player we need to win another superbowl! We can worry about 4 years from now when that time comes! Not moving up to go get an impact player, simply because of what it MAY do in 4 or 5 years seems like you're playing to NOT LOSE. Go Niners!!!
Unless we can trade up for luck or blackmon,which wont and cant happen,stand pat and draft best available.
  • mike
  • Veteran
DeCastro may be the final piece we need to get our 6th ring (maybe more). If that's the case, I say move up, take him and if we lose the 32nd pick nest year, so be it. With the new CBA, the rookie salary cap helps to ensure at least another 4 years of an outstanding OL. Lets get the player we need to win another superbowl! We can worry about 4 years from now when that time comes! Not moving up to go get an impact player, simply because of what it MAY do in 4 or 5 years seems like you're playing to NOT LOSE. Go Niners!!!

Meh, I wouldn't be mad if we got him, but that would mean 5 first round picks(staley, iupati, davis, decastro, then the one we have to give up in 2013) invested into that o-line... Seems kind of overkill. If we do trade up I'd rather try for Floyd.
From a salary cap point of view, a team needs to add a significant number of draft pick each year. The reason is that you lock up a rookies under a three-year contract that doesn't cost much. Assuming he turns out, he will be starting for you soon and will be a bargain. This approach saves cap money that you are able to pay your most valuable veterans, guys like Patrick Willis or Justin Smith.

Given the above, although there can be exceptions, it may not be wise to trade away too many lower draft picks just to move up in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone