LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

One reason I think we could trade up... thoughts?

decastro would makes us one hell of an O-line
If we draft decastro we might as well draft a center in first next year to shore up what I would expect is the only entire first rounder draft in history
while anything "can" happen, i think the money is on us trading out of the first.

i hate to give them credit, but i think we copy New Englands model and start securing our next dynasty run. if we want to be the team of this decade, we need to have as many draft picks as possible to replace any future needs that arise.

there will always be talented players entering the draft, so the more draft picks we have, the more options we have.
[ Edited by 4t9ers on Apr 24, 2012 at 7:46 AM ]
Originally posted by 4t9ers:
while anything "can" happen, i think the money is on us trading out of the first.

i hate to give them credit, but i think we copy New Englands model and start securing our next dynasty run. if we want to be the team of this decade, we need to have as many draft picks as possible to replace any future needs that arise.

there will always be talented players entering the draft, so the more draft picks we have, the more options we have.

I agree with this to a degree. I am not sure the team will stockpile future picks, but I do think at this point they are likely to look to the future rather than the now and we may see picks at positions that are somewhat of a surprise.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
I don't think Floyd is worth trading up for, it would cost more than what the Falcons gave up for Julio Jones and I don't see Floyd as anywhere near as good as Jones was coming out.

i think floyd is plenty good, but i dont see niners blowing up their draft to go up and take a guy with 3 alcohol arrests in his background
Originally posted by sanfran49:
If this was posted by someone who didn't have all red squares as a veteran, like if i posted this, ud hv face palms and disagreement [e ek]

It is fair speculation, reasonably argued.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
I agree with you. I don't know what will happen but I think we will trade up for a certain guy that fights our system on offense or defense. There's a good chance that if we use all 7 picks in this years draft, some of them won't make the team because the roster is deep. So it makes sense to me to either trade picks away for future picks or make a deal to move up for impact players, specific guys that you are targetting because they fit your system.

A guess would be for DeCastro because he is a beast and Guard is a need. I'm excited either way.

Ding ding that is exactly what I was thinking.

I agree here as well. It seems more likely that Baalke would use some mid-level picks to move up for an impact player than to sit at #30 and hold onto all those picks. OTOH, if he doesn't see value on any available players he might trade down or give up picks for the future. It is a very good position to be in and one that can settle the team for the future.

Still, there are areas where depth is needed as we all know. Future replacement for Justin Smith. Sopoaga backup. CB. We will also learn what they truly think of Kilgore if they have a chance to pull the trigger for DeCastro or Konz or Zeitler and do not. Of course, Konz or Zeitler could also be a replacement for Goodwin either late this season or next. An upgrade there would be nice. It is just going to be a very exciting time though frustrating because of how low the picks will be.
Trading up more than 5 spots will be very expensive...and that might be ok so long as Baalke comes out of the draft with 4-5 very good players that address OG, S, RB, OLB, & WR.
  • dj43
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Trading up more than 5 spots will be very expensive...and that might be ok so long as Baalke comes out of the draft with 4-5 very good players that address OG, S, RB, OLB, & WR.

I would not be surprised to see him move up to say #20. That would take our #30, plus a 4th this year and a 3rd next year (discounted value for future pick) according to draft value. Now of course he has to find a partner willing to do that but it is not all that costly for a team that doesn't need ST depth, which is basically what you get with a 4th round pick.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i agree floyd and decastro are the only players woth trading up for as well

if either fall below 16ish i wouldnt be surprised with a trade up
I agree i think these are the only players we would truly trade up for in the late teens. Who knows tho Baalke is so hard to read lol.

• dj43
Originally posted by Kaz9er:

I agree i think these are the only players we would truly trade up for in the late teens. Who knows tho Baalke is so hard to read lol.
As you say, Baalke is hard to read, however, I would add Hill there as an alternative if Floyd is not there. I just do not believe the the 49ers are satisfied with going into the season with the WRs currently on the roster. They need a deep threat and Moss is definitely no longer that.

Also, I would add Konz to the list of "trade ups." I could see them moving up to get him either because they do not believe Kilgore is the future, or if they believe they need to get a replacement for Goodwin now. I am not a Goodwin fan. He did help stabilize the OL with his line calls but he does not have the strength or quickness to go against better DT/NTs on the better teams.
Originally posted by dj43:

As you say, Baalke is hard to read, however, I would add Hill there as an alternative if Floyd is not there. I just do not believe the the 49ers are satisfied with going into the season with the WRs currently on the roster. They need a deep threat and Moss is definitely no longer that.

Also, I would add Konz to the list of "trade ups." I could see them moving up to get him either because they do not believe Kilgore is the future, or if they believe they need to get a replacement for Goodwin now. I am not a Goodwin fan. He did help stabilize the OL with his line calls but he does not have the strength or quickness to go against better DT/NTs on the better teams.

My wants in order of importance:

1. Fleener
2. Hill: would be my #1 if Fleener wasn't so Pro/Harbaugh system ready
3. OL
4. CB: was originally #3 but...come one...have you seen our D...
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Cartwright.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dj43:

My wants in order of importance:

1. Fleener
2. Hill: would be my #1 if Fleener wasn't so Pro/Harbaugh system ready
3. OL
4. CB: was originally #3 but...come one...have you seen our D...

I think a move back up into the 2nd round for a guard/center is more likely than a move up in the first. Brooks or Silatolu would be attractive if they were available at 35-40.
Not a fan of trading up that high to get a pick where we would possibly have to give up next years first. I think we should stay the course in first round and just take best player available no matter what the position is you can never have to much talent at any position and staying young is the key to long term success. If the 49ers do trade up it better be someone who is a starter right away because I would hate the lose the chance to get someone later in the draft for getting a first round bust.
Share 49ersWebzone