There are 310 users in the forums

One reason I think we could trade up... thoughts?

Now keep in mind anything is possible in the draft and I am not saying this is going to happen but it is something to look at. When you look at when Atlanta surprisingly traded up and took Julio Jones last year at pick 6, who knows what we may do to make our offense really dynamic like what they tried to do. If you look offensively right now on our depth chart we are stacking the board with competition.

QB's with A. Smith, J. Johnson, C. Kaepernick, S. Tolzien.
RB's with Gore, Jacobs, Hunter, Dixon, and Cartwright.
WR's with Moss, Manningham, Crabtree, Ginn, Williams, Swain.
TE's with Davis, Walker, Peele, Byham, Rueland

Now thats a pretty big list of competition and thats without the draft picks we will use (Other than the depth of the offensive line which can be added after the 1st round).

I am starting to wonder how much will Baalke and Harbaugh get a little trigger happy and go ahead and move up with an immediate impact player. I look at a team like Jacksonville sitting at 7 (one spot away from Julio Jones was picked from last year) and see if a player like Blackmon or Richardson falls that far (which I highly doubt that happens) but hey its the draft you never know. Baalke has moved up 3 times in the last 2 years of the draft (1st A. Davis 2010, 2nd C. Kaepernick 2011, and 5th D. Kilgore 2011). They could either make a move for Floyd or DeCastro from Stanford. I am not putting anything past this front office because they have done nothing but surprise me since Baalke took over this team as GM. This is only for trying to get "that impact player" so dont try and jump all over me.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Now keep in mind anything is possible in the draft and I am not saying this is going to happen but it is something to look at. When you look at when Atlanta surprisingly traded up and took Julio Jones last year at pick 6, who knows what we may do to make our offense really dynamic like what they tried to do. If you look offensively right now on our depth chart we are stacking the board with competition.

QB's with A. Smith, J. Johnson, C. Kaepernick, S. Tolzien.
RB's with Gore, Jacobs, Hunter, Dixon, and Cartwright.
WR's with Moss, Manningham, Crabtree, Ginn, Williams, Swain.
TE's with Davis, Walker, Peele, Byham, Rueland

Now thats a pretty big list of competition and thats without the draft picks we will use (Other than the depth of the offensive line which can be added after the 1st round).

I am starting to wonder how much will Baalke and Harbaugh get a little trigger happy and go ahead and move up with an immediate impact player. I look at a team like Jacksonville sitting at 7 (one spot away from Julio Jones was picked from last year) and see if a player like Blackmon or Richardson falls that far (which I highly doubt that happens) but hey its the draft you never know. Baalke has moved up 3 times in the last 2 years of the draft (1st A. Davis 2010, 2nd C. Kaepernick 2011, and 5th D. Kilgore 2011). They could either make a move for Floyd or DeCastro from Stanford. I am not putting anything past this front office because they have done nothing but surprise me since Baalke took over this team as GM. This is only for trying to get "that impact player" so dont try and jump all over me.

Unless they are targeting someone really high (DeCastro?) I would rather have them stay at 30 and then move up to high second for another quality guy. If they really like some of the WRs in that area they will have many to choose from. So, Fleener (if he falls), or a RG and a WR would be my best guess.
i agree floyd and decastro are the only players woth trading up for as well

if either fall below 16ish i wouldnt be surprised with a trade up
We may move up a few spots, but I don't expect anything drastic.
Agree 100%. In years past, it was always about quantity over quality since we were struggling. But with so few roster spots open, we need to draft players who will either make inpact this year or who will be a good bet to be groomed to start by year three.
I agree with you. I don't know what will happen but I think we will trade up for a certain guy that fights our system on offense or defense. There's a good chance that if we use all 7 picks in this years draft, some of them won't make the team because the roster is deep. So it makes sense to me to either trade picks away for future picks or make a deal to move up for impact players, specific guys that you are targetting because they fit your system.

A guess would be for DeCastro because he is a beast and Guard is a need. I'm excited either way.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
I agree with you. I don't know what will happen but I think we will trade up for a certain guy that fights our system on offense or defense. There's a good chance that if we use all 7 picks in this years draft, some of them won't make the team because the roster is deep. So it makes sense to me to either trade picks away for future picks or make a deal to move up for impact players, specific guys that you are targetting because they fit your system.

A guess would be for DeCastro because he is a beast and Guard is a need. I'm excited either way.

Ding ding that is exactly what I was thinking.
I don't think Floyd is worth trading up for, it would cost more than what the Falcons gave up for Julio Jones and I don't see Floyd as anywhere near as good as Jones was coming out.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I think we could, the question is how high? I dont want to lose that second round pick because I want to use it on jones
Originally posted by DirtyP:
I don't think Floyd is worth trading up for, it would cost more than what the Falcons gave up for Julio Jones and I don't see Floyd as anywhere near as good as Jones was coming out.

As a Bama fan I thought picking Jones at 6 last year and trading up for him was a reach. I watched Jones since he was a true freshman and he did not really have the best of hands when he was in college. He was explosive and dynamic but I would give him a 7 out of 10 when it came to hands. I think Floyd is going to be bad ass.

If this was posted by someone who didn't have all red squares as a veteran, like if i posted this, ud hv face palms and disagreement [e ek]
Originally posted by sanfran49:
If this was posted by someone who didn't have all red squares as a veteran, like if i posted this, ud hv face palms and disagreement [e ek]

Well you just sit there and gain more boxes my friend. I was very explanatory through my post. I dont think this would happen but I am not ruling it out.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i agree floyd and decastro are the only players woth trading up for as well

if either fall below 16ish i wouldnt be surprised with a trade up

Everybody is on the same page. My friend and I were discussing the trade up scenerio and identified those same players. I'd be very happy with either player...
I think our draft board is such that we should not move up in the first round. We will be able to get Fleener, Hill, Randle, Jenkins, or a top-flight guard (considering the value of the position, #30 is a potential pro-bowler at G). The 49ers should be more than happy to choose from whichever of these is available. And there may even be a surprise slider or two that the 49ers have ranked higher than everyone I listed.

Moving to #17-19 or so is realistic based on pick value, but I don't think there are any prospects SO hot at #20 that they are worth more to us than (hypothetically) Hill and our second round pick. For example, is DeCastro so much better than another RG we could plug in that he's worth giving up two starters for? Fleener, Hill, Randle, Jenkins... these guys are potential stars.

We are right where we want to be.
Baalke is a shrewd man and maybe the trade is already made.
Share 49ersWebzone