LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Leslie Frazier: Left tackles like Matt Kalil aren't 'game-changers'

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d82883dcb/article/leslie-frazier-left-tackles-like-matt-kalil-arent-gamechangers?module=HP11_headline_stack

I hope this is smoke and mirrors because this is not something I'd expect a NFL coach and one that has apparently been knocking at the door for a head coaching gig for years before last year to say. Is Frazier an idiot? Left tackles are the ultimate "game changers". Without a solid left tackle then the guys that get all the credit for being the game changers cannot make things happen. If a quarterback cannot throw the ball or trust his tackle to protect him before throwing the ball and he is rushing the pass then either the play results in a sack or the receiver cannot get open or make the catch thus, this affects your running game because if you can't pass then teams just load the box. Without a solid left tackle the rest of the offense directly suffers starting at the quarterback and directly trickling down throughout.

I get that the Vikings want weapons for their young quarterback but why not get him his best weapon, somebody to protect him then there is plenty of offensive talent in this draft in the later rounds to fill your needs. Your opinions?
Smoke and mirrors I think. You can get all the game changers you want but if you cant protect your young QB then it wont matter anyway. I still believe they will take Kalil or move down a couple of spots (perhaps with the Rams).
Coaches like Leslie Frazier aren't great coaches
Funny, but you know what's funnier? Mike Singletary thinks that QB's aren't game changers. It's unclear as to whether or not anyone on the Vikings staff believes football players have anything to do with the outcome of a, you know, football game.
[ Edited by ghostrider on Apr 23, 2012 at 9:07 AM ]
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

+1
Thats why I have Blackmon to Minnesota. I think he helps them more right now than Kalil will. They also may go with Claiborne.
I think he's right
Man he sounds like Singlebraincell , oh wait they were on the same Bears squad back in the day .
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Thats why I have Blackmon to Minnesota. I think he helps them more right now than Kalil will. They also may go with Claiborne.

That's stupid though. Kalil is a #1 pick in a terrible draft (e.g. 2005).
I think the general point is that recent Superbowl winners haven't had All-Pro LTs. Of course, they had Elite QBs, so they got the ball out on time and on target. Minny doesn't have either of those guys (the LT or the QB) so

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by btthepunk:

That's stupid though. Kalil is a #1 pick in a terrible draft (e.g. 2005).

So is Blackmon.
Claiborne makes a lot of sense to me. Cutler throws up a lot of gifts and a ballhawking DB would make him pay. Plus, with Detroit and GB in the division, DBs are a must.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

+1

He will be fired after this season.
Peter King was just talking about of all last year's playoff teams, only two teams had RBs that graded out in the top 20. The NIners and the Ravens (Gore and Rice) so this fact was his segway into the discussion of how the game has changed. Right now it's very slanted towards teams that pass the ball and less towards running the ball.

Now if you don't think a good tackles are worth their weight in gold then your absolutey nuts!!!! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize the Brees, Bradys and Rodgers need some time in the pocket to succeed. Fraziers comment couldn't be further from the truth.
That's like saying Supermodels arent smart...

Of course they aren't game changers...but they're important.
Share 49ersWebzone