There are 153 users in the forums

Yet another mock (49ers 7 rounds)

Ok, I've done enough complaining about others mocks. Here is mine:

Rd. 1 - Rueben Randle, WR, 6'4" 210, LSU:
Randle may have less physical potential than Stephen Hill, but he can contribute from day 1. Randle will compete for one
of the starting spots with Crabtree, Manningham, and Moss. If Moss isn't his former self, Randle will start right away.

Rd. 2 - Amini Silatolu, OG, 6'4" 311, Midwestern St:
Should be the 4th-5th interior OL taken. We may have to trade up earlier in the 2nd to get him. But he is a small school
guy making a position change to OG. So he could be there late in the 2nd. Will compete with Kilgore to start at RG.

Rd. 3 - Jared Crick, DT, 6'4" 279, Nebraska:
Could fall due to injury concerns. He needs to gain some weight to improve against double-teams. But he could develop
into the perfect replacement for J. Smith.

Rd. 4 - Travis Benjamin, WR, 5'10" 172, Miami:
A small but fast WR that could be a nice compliment to our generally slower WRs. Could be a good value pick here as
teams will overlook him earlier due to his size.

Rd. 5 - Kelcie Mccray, SS, 6'1", 202, Arkansas State:
A guy with the physical tools to be a starter at safety. But has some technical aspects that he needs to develop first.
Could be nice depth.

Rd. 6 - Kourtnei Brown, OLB, 6'5" 256, Clemson:
Developmental guy with a chance to provide good depth at OLB.

Rd. 7 - Terrance Frederick, CB, 5'10" 187, Texas A&M:
Another developmental guy that could help covering the slot.
Only 1 WR please. So I love everything except for the 4th rounder.

Is there a Center available in the 4th? Swap that WR out for C Brewster and you've got a great mock!
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Only 1 WR please. So I love everything except for the 4th rounder.

Is there a Center available in the 4th? Swap that WR out for C Brewster and you've got a great mock!

Well, I figure there is a good chance we use that 4th to move up in the 2nd. But I see nothing wrong with taking 2 WRs. Our depth at WR is pretty s**tty and has been for a long time.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
so u basically want two crabtrees lined up. thats not good, u normally line up two different wr on the field at the same time...
Originally posted by blm7754:
Well, I figure there is a good chance we use that 4th to move up in the 2nd. But I see nothing wrong with taking 2 WRs. Our depth at WR is pretty s**tty and has been for a long time.

How many roster spots are you assuming for WRs?
I would take the first 3 picks in a hearbeat but Sitalou will not be there at the end of round 2. It would take a big trade to move up to get him at the top of round 2. Crick would be great in round 3 but I think he will also be gone by then. I also agree that 2 WRs in the top 4 picks will not happen.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I love the Randle pick.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

How many roster spots are you assuming for WRs?

Well, it was 5 in 2011 and we had to sign guys off the street. I think we learn a lesson and find 6 guys good enough to warrant a spot.

So if this mock played out we would have:

Crabtree
Manningham
Moss / Williams / nobody (if neither look good enough in camp)
Randle
Benjamin
Ginn
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I would take the first 3 picks in a hearbeat but Sitalou will not be there at the end of round 2. It would take a big trade to move up to get him at the top of round 2. Crick would be great in round 3 but I think he will also be gone by then. I also agree that 2 WRs in the top 4 picks will not happen.

I think many on the webzone are overvaluing guards because we have a need there. I don't think most GMs will value them that highly. That said, Sitalou may go in the mid second round. So i think if we want him we could trade our 4th rounder (and maybe a 5th) to move up to get him.

Also, based on our current level of talent at WR, you can't rule out the possibility of drafting 2 WRs if the right players are available.

I think many on the webzone are overvaluing guards because we have a need there. I don't think most GMs will value them that highly. That said, Sitalou may go in the mid second round. So i think if we want him we could trade our 4th rounder (and maybe a 5th) to move up to get him.

Also, based on our current level of talent at WR, you can't rule out the possibility of drafting 2 WRs if the right players are available.

I think you undervalue Kyle Williams based on the NFC title game. I think he would be better than a 4th rd pick WR. I just would never add to WRs in the top 4 rds when the Niners have some other needs for depth and where there is a highly likelihood that the 4th rounder could not make the team. The team will probably just suit up 5 guys for the games that are receivers.

This is probably the best mock I've seen thus far. If I had to nit-pick however, I see us addressing the corner position long before round 7. Rogers is on the wrong side of 30 and I am not sure the current staff (or anyone else for that matter) see Tarell Brown as the answer.
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
This is probably the best mock I've seen thus far. If I had to nit-pick however, I see us addressing the corner position long before round 7. Rogers is on the wrong side of 30 and I am not sure the current staff (or anyone else for that matter) see Tarell Brown as the answer.

Yeah, I think its really tough to find high caliber CBs past rounds 1-2. I'm guessing that CB and RB will be the focuses of next years draft.
I think you undervalue Kyle Williams based on the NFC title game. I think he would be better than a 4th rd pick WR. I just would never add to WRs in the top 4 rds when the Niners have some other needs for depth and where there is a highly likelihood that the 4th rounder could not make the team. The team will probably just suit up 5 guys for the games that are receivers.
And considering how often they run the 2 TE offense, they really do need a million receivers. Manningham essentially replaces Morgan. Kyle Williams will be one more year further along, Moss is an addition that they didn't have, add one more WR via the draft and they will be good, I'm still hankering for Marvin Jones in the 2nd.
very nice! i dont think we need two more WRs. maybe C, TE or ILB would have a better chance of making the team.
Share 49ersWebzone