LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Alshon Jeffery's Deceptive Speed

I ran across this fantastic analysis of Alshon Jeffery's speed, and what it shows is that Alshon Jeffery, the big possession WR, is as fast as Julio Jones, DeSean Jackson, AJ Green, and Percy Harvin after the first 10 - 15 yards. And Jeffery is huge!

Very slow off the line, then turns on the jets for a deep threat -- perhaps this is why Jeffery always gets behind defenses. And I would imagine that it'd be hard to adjust to such a change if you're a defender. After the first 10 yards, he may be the fastest WR in the 2012 NFL Draft.

so what I'm saying is that I am 100% down with Jeffery at #30. My WR Rankings are:

1a. Blackmon (tied)
1b. Floyd (tied)
3. Randle
4. Jeffery
5. Hill
6. Sanu
7. Wright
8. Quick

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=487994
So in the first 15 yards he is slow as s**t....doesn't help when we need 10 yards and he cant separate.
he has good game speed and plays the ball well.he also trimmed down alot..if we go wr at 30 my order is..1. hill 2. jeffrey 3. randall 4. sanu
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I'd be happy with with anywhere in the 2nd round. Very possible with a trade back. Lots of teams in the early 2nd may want to move up for Weeden or Osweiler.
Originally posted by Pfield9er:
he has good game speed and plays the ball well.he also trimmed down alot..if we go wr at 30 my order is..1. hill 2. jeffrey 3. randall 4. sanu

So in order of risk, hill being the riskiest?
Originally posted by okdkid:
I'd be happy with with anywhere in the 2nd round. Very possible with a trade back. Lots of teams in the early 2nd may want to move up for Weeden or Osweiler.

I think Weeden may plummet...who the hell wants a 29 year old rookie?
  • kem99
  • Veteran
How is his speed deceptive if all we have heard since the draft process started is that the film shows he can't separate?
Wow, I was not a big fan. But love this analysis in the link you provided. Then you watch his highlights and two things absolutely stand out -- 1.) his first three steps are slow, maybe that what it takes to get that big body moving, and then he pulls away from people, and 2.) he does exactly what we need with a QB like A Smith -- He give the QB confidence he will win the battle for the ball !

If the FO makes this pick, then they must believe he can do for the 49ers what he does in those highlight, and that would be HUGE for this team.
They need a big target over the middle guy and Jeffery may be that guy.

Originally posted by kem99:
How is his speed deceptive if all we have heard since the draft process started is that the film shows he can't separate?

Only on the college bubble screens. On intermediate and deep routes he beats secondaries
Originally posted by jreff22:
So in the first 15 yards he is slow as s**t....doesn't help when we need 10 yards and he cant separate.

He's also 6'4 and over 230 lbs.
I have liked Jeffery for a while now but he is not as explosive off the line, so I could understand him slipping. If the FO drafts him I will not be mad at the pick.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Wow, I was not a big fan. But love this analysis in the link you provided. Then you watch his highlights and two things absolutely stand out -- 1.) his first three steps are slow, maybe that what it takes to get that big body moving, and then he pulls away from people, and 2.) he does exactly what we need with a QB like A Smith -- He give the QB confidence he will win the battle for the ball !

If the FO makes this pick, then they must believe he can do for the 49ers what he does in those highlight, and that would be HUGE for this team.

The slow start seems like its something that's correctable
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by jreff22:

He's also 6'4 and over 230 lbs.

Nick, you have to get your facts straight about this guy. He was over 230 lbs and at some point last year, they thought he was closer to 250 lbs. He was less productive this past year and had more problems separating from defensive backs. This year, he didn't work out at the Combine but showed up at 216 lbs. He worked out about a month later, lost 3 more lbs and ran in the 4.5's in the 40. The questions still remain. Which guy are you going to get? The highly productive sophomore game breaker or overweight, slower junior. To me, that eliminates him from the first round.
Share 49ersWebzone