LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

Mile High Final Mock

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Quite possibly the worst 1st round pick I've seen in any mock. If Wagner was a pass rusher, I would at least understand it...but he's at best a very nice 4-3 weakside LB (which is not our scheme) or a potential 3-4 ILB, in which case using a 1st rounder would be silly (especially since we have a couple of guys named Bowman and Willis as starters, and just re-signed Grant and Gooden as depth).

So you're using a 1st round pick on a position that is completely stacked (ILB) or on a position that he has neither the size or the ability for (3-4 rush linebacker).

What would be more realistic if you wanted a LB here is someone like Andre Branch, Chandler Jones, Shea McClellin, etc., or if they were to fall, guys like Nick Perry and Whitney Mercilus. I could see that as a nice fit as a backup/successor to Brooks, though it might be wiser to address this with a lower pick and go with a development guy.

You're completely off on Wagner, go watch his game tapes. He does everything very well, and excelled in every area. McClellan is a big riser and may or may not be there, I don't think he will. Put on Wagners game against Auburn and isolate the plays where he is rushing the passer, cause there is plenty since he didnt have a solidified position on the defense, he roams. He tosses around sec lineman with ease and disrupts the backfield just about every time. This is NOT an Aldon Smith pick, it's a player for the other side who can do everything well and compliment Smith so he can focus on rushing the passer, then on 3rd and long he has great hand use and long arms along with 4.4 speed to get after the qb. Do thorough research before you 'come at me bro' with the worst first pick lol. Fleener will be gone and zeitler isn't necessary in the 1st. One Aldon smith injury an this defense back to above average but not great, we need another stud on the other side who can get after the passer consistently but also turn and run with the RB.

I didn't want Fleener/Zeitler/Hill in my mock because everyone does, and if hes there the pick is Fleener without a doubt. So I was looking for a player who would add another dimension to this defense.
[ Edited by 5280High on Apr 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM ]
Honestly don't know about Wagner. But you seem to have done your homework on him and I have no basis on which to dispute your claims.

But I can say that IMO you are on the right track. The Niners are seriously deficient in their LB core insomuch as the team is lacking in pass-rushing depth. Couple that with the fact that the team's premier pass-rusher is expected to be the starter this year and will subsequently play a LOT more snaps than he did last year. Rushing the passer is a high intensity undertaking. One of the reasons that Aldon Smith was so effective last year was because he was a situational player and was plenty rested. Aldon is going to need to be spelled from time to time in order to keep up the pressure on the opposing QBs. I think that you are spot-on in identifying an area of need that will keep this defense elite. And I'm betting that the FO will see it this way also. I expect the team to address this need in one of the first two rounds. So I'm totally on-board with your pick or someone like him.

The team also needs a WR who can stretch the field to develop behind Moss. Maybe Quick is that guy. Personally, my favorite for this role is Streeter, primarily because the team can pick him up in a later round and address OL depth in the second (If defense is picked in the first round). Maybe you see OL depth adequately addressed later. I don't know.

I don't think that Wolfe has any chance of surviving to the end of the fourth round.

Even if Fleener is there, I don't think that he is the pick, myself. (Can so many people be wrong? We'll see ). The team will be so much better off strengthing the lines on both sides of the ball with the best available talent. I'm counting on Moss (yes, he's still got it). VD and Bynam (big guy with better hands than people realize) being the RZ targets.

Nice mock. Plenty of thought behind it.
No way on this earth or any other that Wolfe will make it to round three
I don't even know who wagner is.
I like your thinking and think Wagner is gonna be a baller but I dont think hes big enough to play outside. But with that said I can see them taking Bruce Irvin and use him in the way you describe Wagner. Even though Irvin doesnt have experience standing up with his measurables and good coaching I dont think it will be a problem.
You have selected a number of guys I have high draft grades on. Think Wagner is future star in the league, but not sure the team would be able to effectively incorporate him on a deep LB rotation. Have a higher grade on Vick Ballard than Turbin, although I love the Turbin story. This is a guy to cheer for in the NFL. Wolfe appears to be a late riser, maybe even a a second rounder.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Quite possibly the worst 1st round pick I've seen in any mock. If Wagner was a pass rusher, I would at least understand it...but he's at best a very nice 4-3 weakside LB (which is not our scheme) or a potential 3-4 ILB, in which case using a 1st rounder would be silly (especially since we have a couple of guys named Bowman and Willis as starters, and just re-signed Grant and Gooden as depth).

So you're using a 1st round pick on a position that is completely stacked (ILB) or on a position that he has neither the size or the ability for (3-4 rush linebacker).

What would be more realistic if you wanted a LB here is someone like Andre Branch, Chandler Jones, Shea McClellin, etc., or if they were to fall, guys like Nick Perry and Whitney Mercilus. I could see that as a nice fit as a backup/successor to Brooks, though it might be wiser to address this with a lower pick and go with a development guy.

You're completely off on Wagner, go watch his game tapes. He does everything very well, and excelled in every area. McClellan is a big riser and may or may not be there, I don't think he will. Put on Wagners game against Auburn and isolate the plays where he is rushing the passer, cause there is plenty since he didnt have a solidified position on the defense, he roams. He tosses around sec lineman with ease and disrupts the backfield just about every time. This is NOT an Aldon Smith pick, it's a player for the other side who can do everything well and compliment Smith so he can focus on rushing the passer, then on 3rd and long he has great hand use and long arms along with 4.4 speed to get after the qb. Do thorough research before you 'come at me bro' with the worst first pick lol. Fleener will be gone and zeitler isn't necessary in the 1st. One Aldon smith injury an this defense back to above average but not great, we need another stud on the other side who can get after the passer consistently but also turn and run with the RB.

I didn't want Fleener/Zeitler/Hill in my mock because everyone does, and if hes there the pick is Fleener without a doubt. So I was looking for a player who would add another dimension to this defense.

I'm not "coming at you" bro. I don't even know you, just commenting on a post. But if you want me to do my research, I will. You say he "tossed around SEC lineman" as if he was doing this game after game, against the top echelon of that conference...well let's get real. He played exactly ONE SEC team, Auburn who was very average after graduating most of their talent the year before and who MIGHT have ONE of their offensive lineman get drafted this year. And this was in the opening game of the season with a revamped offensive line....btw, Auburn still won the game 42-38.

Just trying to provide some context here as you're making it seem as though Wagner was a one-man wrecking crew running roughshod over the best teams in the SEC and shutting them down. Not exactly the case. He had a great individual game against a very average team in their season opener, and his team lost while giving up a ton of points. Just saying.

Oh yah, and the guy has exactly 4.5 sacks in his ENTIRE CAREER, all but the "1/2" coming this year. Yes, that's exactly a HALF SACK in 35 games prior to this year. His only multi-sack game of his career came against LaTech...not exactly a powerhouse school "bro." At 6'0" 240, he's seriously undersized, didn't really play that position in college and had almost no production in the area you are moving him in to (4.5 career sacks)....but you want to spend a 1st round pick on him.

Sorry man, I don't see it.

I personally think that in your search to be different, you came up with a great football who just happenes to be a poor match for the 49ers defensive scheme (both in terms of depth and skill-set). IMO, Wagner will be a solid player and almost assuredly be chosen as a 4-3 LB (either inside or outside), or possibly a 3-4 ILB. He will not be selected as a 3-4 OLB, which is where you have him slotted in your mock.

But hey, I could be wrong and I readily admit that. So let's circle back next week and see where he lands, my guess is that he's taken by a 4-3 team or by a 3-4 team and will end up a ILB. Great player, wrong fit for us is my opinion.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 1Crabtree5:
I'd take take Quick over in the first i like him as the third best wr. Yes over K. Wright

Originally posted by Mann716:
I love the brian quick pick. He's my 2012 draft crush. I rather have him than hill.

lmao!!! ill take hill over both any day. Fastest in the draft class, hes huge so he immediately helps one of our biggest weaknesses "REDZONE" And he has been blocking for his offense his whole college career. HES BIGGER FASTER AND A BETTER BLOCKER THAN BOTH! good hands and 30 ypc!!! FACTS
Originally posted by fan49:
lmao!!! ill take hill over both any day. Fastest in the draft class, hes huge so he immediately helps one of our biggest weaknesses "REDZONE" And he has been blocking for his offense his whole college career. HES BIGGER FASTER AND A BETTER BLOCKER THAN BOTH! good hands and 30 ypc!!! FACTS

i wouldnt say redzone is a problem certainly not in the last half of the season

and any1 can easily say 28 catches

i love hill and would love to have him as well but i dont think he will make an immediate impact
Originally posted by 1Crabtree5:
I'd take take Quick over in the first i like him as the third best wr. Yes over K. Wright

Originally posted by Mann716:
I love the brian quick pick. He's my 2012 draft crush. I rather have him than hill.

He's only a half inch taller and 5 pounds lighter than Brian Quick.

Thank you for the time you took on this thread, good takes and opinions of the players you selected except...............................

Wagner isn't much of a pass rusher and @ 240 lbs he is way undersized to play OLB. I don't believe Wagner to be 1st round talent, I know we pick @ #30 but from what I understand is he will most likely end up being selected somewhere in the middle of the 2nd maybe early second, to teams like Seattle pk43, Kansas City pk44, Dallas pk45, Philly pk 46,51, Chicago pk50, Tennessee pk52, Houston pk58 and maybe the Ravens as late as pk60.

With that said, he is a great talent, I have him as my Bowman sleeper lol, hes very smart, a super work horse, uses his long arms very well and of course hes got the excellent speed to be a force inside. He would be a project imho for the OLB position and would have to bulk up, would like this pick a lot, just not in love with it at #30.

Love the Quick and Turbin picks and Bethal would be great value in the 6th imo
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
He's only a half inch taller and 5 pounds lighter than Brian Quick.

but hes .2 faster!
I like Wolf a lot and the final 4 picks. However really dislike your first 3 picks would throw my computer through the TV if it came down that way.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Apr 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM ]
but hes .2 faster!

you do know track and game speed are 2 different things right?

youre insane if you think he runs that fast when playing football
  • fan49
  • Veteran
^^^ yes i do. but the limited times he was thrown the ball it shows... look at his hilights.
Share 49ersWebzone