LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Who is Trent Baalke's Mystery Draft Crush?

OLB
Baalke is legit. Whoever he has his sights on I am sure will be good. Regardless of whether or not we agree with the pick. Just keep that in mind on draft day.

[ Edited by goodthings19 on Apr 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Could definitely be a Stanford guy.

Jonathan Martin? He's been plummeting in the mock drafts...

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Baalke also seemed to suggest that the player fit the Niners' scheme but not the schemes of other teams. Who might that suggest? It wouldn't be Fleener, Hill or Randle. Maybe a wildcard like OLB Zach Brown, tons of ability, great speed but raw. But that would beg the question, Why not trade down. Maybe that is what Baalke is saying: They know they can trade down and still get Brown but may not be able to find a trading partner so it that case they will pick him at #30.

My opinion seems to change daily just because there are soooo many different options which is a good thing! Loading up on pass rushers isn't a bad idea now that teams have to cheat over to block the Smith's (no easy task). So this leaves the other side open for a speedy pass rusher to prey on the QB.

On the offensive side of things, I like what a Fleener can do to FINALLY open up our passing attack. I agree that he's Baalke's draft crush and we'll move up in an attempt to nab him. But I fear that Fleener goes much higher than anybody expects and the price will be too high.

So it's back to the drawing board. My final prediction is Fleener is too expensive and we trade back 10 spots. At #40, we'll still have a shot at either Silatolu, Zeitler, Randle,S. Hill (could happen) or Zach Brown. Who knows, maybe we move back up into the second round and grab two of these guys?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
His last name rhymes with Neener and his first name rhymes with Kobe..................

Kobe Neener? Yeah, I heard about that guy. He plays for Samford right?

Yes you are correct.
I dont think he's telling the truth, but if he is, I wouldn't be shocked if its a RB.
49ers meet with Fleener @ local pro day

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-meet-with-Fleener-at-local-pro-day?blockID=692024&feedID=5936
If we pick at #30, Baalke will say that was the one he wanted no matter who it is.

If he moves up to get someone then I'd say that is definitely the one he was talking about.

If he trades back then I feel his first choice was picked and he'll move to the 2nd or 3rd person on his board - depending who's there.

Whatever he does, I'm confident it will be a vERY good choice.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I dont think he's telling the truth, but if he is, I wouldn't be shocked if its a RB.

I would be.... Not this year. We can survive with Gore/Hunter/Jacobs for the upcoming year. Next years draft is loaded with RBs.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
If we pick at #30, Baalke will say that was the one he wanted no matter who it is.

If he moves up to get someone then I'd say that is definitely the one he was talking about.

If he trades back then I feel his first choice was picked and he'll move to the 2nd or 3rd person on his board - depending who's there.

Whatever he does, I'm confident it will be a vERY good choice.

Wow, it's nice to have a GM that we can all have confidence in. Especially when we will most likely be picking a 'luxury' pick.

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
49ers meet with Fleener @ local pro day

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-meet-with-Fleener-at-local-pro-day?blockID=692024&feedID=5936

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

YES....

....was the start of my last jam.
Who is the guy that the 49ers are absolutely enamored with? My heart tells me Fleener, since he's going in the mid second round in a lot of mocks.

I like how everyone from Stanford is automatically assumed to be a target because of Harbaugh. We have two very good TE already. We have greater needs elsewhere, and a late 1st rounder is no more a sure thing than a 2nd. After signing f/a WR and letting Snyder walk, our biggest need is at Guard. We have Daniel Kilgore starting right now...

If Fleener is that highly valued, he wont fall to 30. And if he does, trading the pick to someone who desperately wants him makes more sense.
Originally posted by pete98146:
My opinion seems to change daily just because there are soooo many different options which is a good thing! Loading up on pass rushers isn't a bad idea now that teams have to cheat over to block the Smith's (no easy task). So this leaves the other side open for a speedy pass rusher to prey on the QB.

On the offensive side of things, I like what a Fleener can do to FINALLY open up our passing attack. I agree that he's Baalke's draft crush and we'll move up in an attempt to nab him. But I fear that Fleener goes much higher than anybody expects and the price will be too high.

So it's back to the drawing board. My final prediction is Fleener is too expensive and we trade back 10 spots. At #40, we'll still have a shot at either Silatolu, Zeitler, Randle,S. Hill (could happen) or Zach Brown. Who knows, maybe we move back up into the second round and grab two of these guys?

The earliest threat to take Fleener is probably Cleveland at #22 -- fluke chance Chicago takes him at #19. Cincinnati (#21) does not usually trade picks, so let's look at a deal with TEN at #20.

According to the Draft Value Chart, an even deal would be our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for their 1st, 3rd, and 6th (or 7th). Basically we give them a 2nd rounder, we swap 3rd rounders, and we pick up a late round pick.

** This deal makes a lot of sense for Tennessee because Center is arguably their biggest need and they can take Konz at #30. They then take a pass-rusher and a CB in the 2nd.

We would then use our 3rd rounder to take a guard. Center/Guard Phil Blake at #82 would make me very happy.

This is just and a complete smokescreen. We are all dreamming if we think Baalke is going to even hint at what they are thinking.That said I still think we go WR in the first.
Share 49ersWebzone