There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OnTheClock's Big 253 Board - 4/18

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Question OTC, why has Upshaw fallen so far? Not impressive at the combine or pro-day, i get that... but he had knee tendinitis and was running at around 275-280 when he plays around 265. Is it the fear of a nagging injury? He did nothing but produce on the biggest of stages and dominated SEC tackles. Top end speed may not be "elite" but his 10 yard burst is quick as they come. Along with that he has some of the best hands and balance Ive seen out of this years tweener olb/de crop. He sets up his moves and transitions to his 2nd or 3rd move effortlessly.

Can you point to tendencies that caused this fall outside of the combine/pro day? It seems almost universal across the draft sites.

-lack of pass rush moves
-doubts over whether he can play away from the line of scrimmage
-tendency to not hold his lane against the run
-not particularly explosive or quick

The problem is he doesn't really translate as a pass rusher and he doesn't show the ability to play standing up LB.

In addition to unimpressive workouts, scouts definitely feel that his explosiveness on the field and lack of range are major obstacles making him seem more like just a 4-3 DE. Upshaw may have produced well and shown a lot of skill, but the NFL is becoming a league of quick-twitch athletes, and that's not Upshaw. He also measured in with much shorter arms for a pass-rusher, which believe it or not can hurt you a ton -- not just in terms of draft stock -- but in the NFL on the field. Shorter arms make it much more difficult to disengage because NFL tackles have the wider wingspan to keep a guy like him away, without him ever even being able to get his hands on the offensive lineman.

Aldon Smith's long arms are a huge asset to him and just one thing that has helped him have success.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Hey OnTheClock and all you other gurus... I got this text message from a friend that contradicts everything i've heard about Robert Griffin III

"Scouts find negatives of RG3:

He's an a*****e who treats people like crap. He can't run unless there is a wide open field and the sea opens up for him. His athleticism under duress in the pocket isnt even close to Cam Newton's."

Keep in mind this dude is a Cam Newton fanboy... he'd suck his cock if it was right in front of him.

Dont know why but I get a feeling that RG3 is gonna be a bust or will not live up to the hype.

Murphy's law will have him tear his ACL in an exhibition game... the redskins gave too much up for it not to happen

I would hope not. I would take comments against RG III with a grain of salt. I very much disagree that he has character concerns. The Redskins wouldn't have given up that much to get to #2 for him if he has anything at all that would make them even slightly apprehensive about doing so. When you give up that much, you gotta be almost positive you're making the right call.

I'm a huge Griffin fan and think he has even more upside than Luck. As a prospect, Griffin is barely behind Luck in my mind, and I feel he is rightly going to go 2nd overall after Andrew Luck.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM ]
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
I'm not in love with Bruce Irvin with our first rounder. 2nd would be better. I see he's a speedy edge rusher but to me he looks like he gets handled at the line a bit. Wish I saw more of a bull rush. If he was BPA at that time then okay but I'd rather see a WR/TE if there was some talent at those spots.

Feel free to enlighten me on Bruce. He does get double teamed which shows some respect.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
oops
[ Edited by Walsh on Apr 25, 2012 at 1:36 AM ]
Originally posted by Walsh:
I'm not in love with Bruce Irvin with our first rounder. 2nd would be better. I see he's a speedy edge rusher but to me he looks like he gets handled at the line a bit. Wish I saw more of a bull rush. If he was BPA at that time then okay but I'd rather see a WR/TE if there was some talent at those spots.

Feel free to enlighten me on Bruce. He does get double teamed which shows some respect.

Walsh, I actually have Bruce going with our second rounder at pick 61. You might have just misread the numbering, which is certainly understandable with a list that big. I am hypnotized myself sometimes

Irvin has off-the charts measurables that actually reflect how monstrous of a talent he is. Unlike some who time fast and play slow or vice versa, this is not the case with Irvin. Irvin excelled as a pass-rusher in WVU's 3-3-5 defense... AS AN END. As you said, despite being 6-3 245 and being double teamed in the 3-man front, he still was incredibly productive. Irvin is not expected to last past the top half of the 3rd.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Thanks for that OTC. Yes, I misread the numbering..haven't been able to put in as much time watching the draft this year with my grad school classes so I'm just catching up on things now. Guess who the 2 posters are that I read to quickly catch up on things. ok back to catching up..