There are 191 users in the forums

Charley Casserly's 2 round mock.

Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't like it. Stick with a WR in the 1st and an OG in the 2nd.

Totally agree, or the team could trade down in this situation. Imagine picking up a second and a third, and trading both 3's to trade up into round 2. You could Get Fleener, Asemuli- Guard and a DL.
This is an excellent mock, to be honest. Starting RG and DL depth are our two biggest needs, regardless of what the fools who think we need a WR say.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
This is an excellent mock, to be honest. Starting RG and DL depth are our two biggest needs, regardless of what the fools who think we need a WR say.

ya but thats an NT we already have 2 solid NT in soap and RJF we aslo have one in training in ian williams

2nd round i would go with offensive playmaker there prob a WR however if we go D it may need to be an OLB
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
ya but thats an NT we already have 2 solid NT in soap and RJF we aslo have one in training in ian williams

2nd round i would go with offensive playmaker there prob a WR however if we go D it may need to be an OLB

1. Soap and RJF are both Free Agents after the season
2. RJF is a 3-4 DE that can play NT in a pinch -- at 290 lbs, he is simply not big enough to start there full-time.
3. Ta'amu is a 'real' Nose Tackle with a very high ceiling. Ian Williams is an undrafted free agent and the odds of him being something great are very very slim

4. Why do we need an OLB in the first 4 rounds? We're locked up at starter there for a half-decade...we need depth later in the rounds
5. So you're going to cut Williams and replace him with a rookie WR?
If Kendall Wright falls to us at #30, I think we have to take him. Steve Smith isn't 6'3" tall and doesn't weigh 220 lbs, but all he does is get open on short, intermediate, and long routes. The only reason Wright would fall to us is because of his size. Separation out of breaks is more important than size, cause Alex doesn't like to make mistakes, and a separated receiver is less likely to cause an interception. If Alex see an open receiver early in his reads he is more likely to throw the ball down field, and less likely to throw it underneath, (the safe throw). Kendall Wright will make all our other receivers better, and will remove one safety from the box for our running game.

While I like Ta'amu in the second, I would have to go guard there so I take Brandon Brooks Casserly's next pick. Zeitler is a better guard than Brooks, but Brooks has a lot of upside so what I lose in taking Brooks over Zeitler is more than compensated by the ability of Kendall Wright to get open. Wright's illusiveness will make our entire receiving corp better, especially Michael Crabtree.
I would be down with this draft. Why not we need an OG but I don't want 2 draft for need. Hopefully if we take a G or WR it's because they are the best player on the board.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
I've professed my unending love for Fleener, but Jimmy knows him better than anyone in the league. If we pass on him in the first, it will be for good reason. I LOVE beefing up the trenches. Zeitler is 2nd on my list for OGs in this draft. Im a big 10 Fan and have seen many games where he dominated my Penn State Lions along with most other teams they've faced. He's a fierce straight line drive blocker, is an excellent puller who can move in space, has the quickness to get to the 2nd level and can set his base to shut down pass blockers. He played RG at an All American level so no need to learn a new spot. If you watch highlights of the Badgers, he was the spearhead for many of their big run plays, and there were MANY over his career. I would prefer moving back a couple spots to pick him, then again, if you like someone that much, why risk it? I still think there are value OG's available at spot 61, but if he grades out better, pull the trigger! He could help turn a weakness into a strength. He is just as decorated as Decastro, was in a power run game offense like DeCastro, has just as much experience as Decastro and comes from a major conference like Decastro. When you compare his combine stats to DeCastro, he's right there as well.

Decastro = 6'5" 316
Zeitler = 6'4" 314

Bench
Decastro ( 1 ) = 34
Zeitler ( 2 ) =32

Cone
Decastro ( 1 ) = 7.30
Zeitler ( 5 ) = 7.77

Shuttle
Decastro ( 2 ) = 4.56
Zeitler ( 4 ) 4.61

Vert
Decastro ( 5 ) = 29.5
Zeitler ( 7 ) = 29.0

As far as Ta'amu, he is an ANCHOR at 6'3" 348. This would be a great move to groom him as Soap's replacement while getting his feet wet in short yardage situations. RJF is solid, but he's a little light for the NT position. If we draft someone like Ta'amu, then we can use RJF as DE which seems like a better fit. Same with Dobbs, Williams and Tukafu, they are built like DE's more than NTs. With the 3rd round pick we can go after a TE like Egnew who is an excellent pass catcher. In the 4th I could see us grabbing a WR like Toon/McNutt ( big WR's ) or a solid slot WR who can return punts like Broyles.

1st - RG - Zeitler
2nd - NT - Ta'amu
3rd - TE - Egnew
4th - WR - Broyles

Sign me up for that!

Hey I like this! Seen a segment on ESPN last week on Broyles and he's got great burst inside. Would be a solid slot receiver in my opinion. I wouldn't take Egnew though, I would look for OLB depth or CB. Chase Minnifield maybe?
We are NOT taking Zeitler and Zeitler will NOT be a first round pick. He will be a mid 2nd rd pick. Book it!
Charlie's old-school...believes in improving OL & DL. Nothing wrong with that...can still get good WR in 3rd rd. We need a stud RG...it's been problematic for years. Zeitler's as blue-collar as they come and would be a great fit on our OL. As for the big NT, Sopoaga's 30...might not be too early to groom his successor. I could also justify a WR, S, even a stud RB in 2nd position.
If the team views Kilgore as its future RG it makes no sense to draft another so early.

Originally posted by sachie23:
If the team views Kilgore as its future RG it makes no sense to draft another so early.

This, I dont know why people dont want to see what Kilgore can do as a starting RG, I think hes gonna be a stud.
Originally posted by sachie23:

Right, though I do think long-term they project him at center. The fact is though in our scheme, it is not worth taking a RG in the 1st rd. I think we will end up drafting a guard but it will be in the 3rd or 4th rd who will compete with Kilgore. We're not looking for a stud RG. We're looking for a solid guard, who has good technique, can pull and trap. You can find those guys late in the draft.

NO WAY this team uses a 1st rd pick on a guard. No way!
He has Fleener, Wright, Glenn, Wilson, Martin, and Miller all in round 2
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Draftology:

Who knows what will actually happen... but there are several mocks out there who say similar things.
Originally posted by Draftology:

This is why so many zoners, including me are hoping that someone wants to trade up from say pick 35 to grab Weeden, Zeitler whoever, the Niners pick up a high second and high third, trade both 3's for a two and you get 3 picks between 35 and 60.

Wright, Fleener, and Crick, Guard later in draft or FA.
Share 49ersWebzone