LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

Final* 7-Round 49er Mock Draft

Final* 7-Round 49er Mock Draft

Barring prospect injury/arrest or a trade, this will be my final 49er full-round mock. I limited my picks to prospects who have draft grades near where we pick - based on profootball weekly's draft value chart. Here we go!

1 (30) - WR Rueben Randle, LSU - Late First Round Grade - I like Fleener myself, but I do not think he is going to be there when we pick. Rueben Randle is clearly the 3rd best WR prospect in this draft after Blackmon and Floyd, and is a perfect fit for West Coast Offense that likes to run the ball a lot and execute a ball-control offense. He has excellent hands, runs crisp routes, great size, ran a 4.42 at his pro day, is a very good blocker, and 'fights' for critical yards to move the chains on third down. He's perfect for us

2 (61) - CB Alfonzo Dennard,, Nebraska - Late Second Round Grade - Simply the best player available. Dennard is a physical cover corner who fit our primary zone scheme perfectly. He's a physical corner whos excellent against the run and can jam WRs much bigger than him effectively. He's got a physical attitude that he takes with him onto the field - he got into a fight with Alshon Jeffery in the Capital One Bowl. Strong nickel corner, and will allow us to perhaps have one of the best *dime* coverage packages in the NFL in 2012 and 2013 with Rogers, Brown, Culliver, and Dennard. Dennard is an excellent fit for our intimidating, physical style of defense.

3 (92) - C/G Phil Blake, Baylor - Late Third Round Grade - Phil Blake is an excellent pass blocking interior linemand who started at center for the pass-heavy RGIII offense at Baylor. He can also play guard, making him the perfect option for the 49ers: we have a center of the future (and a 2012 backup) and a guy that can play right guard with tenacity. He is also an excellent shotgun snapper. I would expect him to start at RG in 2012 unless Kilgore is as good as we all hope he is.

4 (125) DL Jaye Howard, Florida - Late Fourth Round Pick Grade - the 6-3 305 pound Defensive Lineman from Florida is a big-time sleeper prospect. Scouts are saying that he's not big enough to play DT in a 4-3 offense, but I think he's perfect to play the 5-technique for us. He will be able to rotate in immediately and could end up being a steal.

5 (165) TE James Hanna, Oklahoma - Mid Fifth Round Grade - OK I cheated slightly on the draft grade, but I'm only asking for a 10 - 15 spot slide in the 5th round. Hanna is a very quick receiving Tight End out of Oklahoma that surprised a lot of scouts at the combine with a 4.49 in the 40 yard dash. He's a fairly raw prospect for being a 5th year Senior, but he will fit very well with our Offense.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d827c280a/2012-Combine-workout-James-Hanna

6 (199) FS/CB Janzen Jackson, McNeese State - Early 7th Round Grade - Jackson was one of the top DB recruits in the country when he chose to go to Tennessee. He had a blowup with the Kiffin Staff, left the team, and went back to Louisiana -- he entered this draft early. He had a poor 40 time that has cost him the chance to be drafted in the 4th round or so, but at #199, Jackson is good value for depth and has the raw skills to turn into a true gem

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d827dcbf3/2012-Combine-workout-Janzen-Jackson

7 (237) C/G Gino Gradkowski, Delaware - Late Seventh Round Grade - The younger brother of Bengals Backup QB Nruce Gradkowski, the Delaware Center/Guard is getting a lot of looks from teams right now, but he has a 7th/UFA grade. Can play both Guard and Center - paired with Blake we would have a lot of flexibility on the line. A bit undersized.

http://optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/diamond-in-the-rough-gino-gradkowski-og-university-of-delaware.html
[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:47 AM ]
Very nice effort. I can see Dennard slipping. I would prefer to land that OG in the second given the quality there even more so than Dennard, IMO.
I'd be fine with this.
Not all that high on Dennard, but as a late 2nd rounder I would be pleased. Solid mock
Very solid mock and realistic.

That's a lot of work - Thanks.

Also agree Fleener will be gone when our roll of the dice comes up.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
very nice, I've seen Dennard at #61 a number of times recently, would be very great if we could land him, him and Cully could very well be our future CB tandem if we landed him.

If we do not trade and we stand pat at #30 I think Randle is the most logical pick for us, all of his visits suggest the original speculation of being picked in the 30-40 range as the right idea. He'd fit right in with the mold of receivers we have.

Originally posted by sfout:
very nice, I've seen Dennard at #61 a number of times recently, would be very great if we could land him, him and Cully could very well be our future CB tandem if we landed him.

If we do not trade and we stand pat at #30 I think Randle is the most logical pick for us, all of his visits suggest the original speculation of being picked in the 30-40 range as the right idea. He'd fit right in with the mold of receivers we have.

Yes; I think that if WRs and TEs are gone at #30 and something crazy like DeCastro or Glenn falling to us hasn't happened, we're going to take a defensive lineman at #30.

I don't think Niner fans realize how shallow we are: 3 great starters, a 7th round pick (RJF), and a bunch of undrafted free agents.
Thanks for your time and effort Nick. I'm a big Rueben Randle fan but he could slip. He could turn out to be the steal of the draft at the wide-out position.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Not all that high on Dennard, but as a late 2nd rounder I would be pleased. Solid mock

I think he's a feisty little S.O.B. who will be a great addition to any defense that predominantly runs zone -- a bit limited in man coverage right now.
I like it. Im really becoming a fan of Randle as of late and agree he is the #3 guy behind Blackmon and Floyd. In the second I'd maybe take a pass rusher like Bruce Irvin over a corner.

very nice mock. my only problem is you didnt draft and LBs. i think we should get atleast one because haralson and grant will probably leave next year to try and compete for a starting job elsewhere. but overall i like the players you got, i like randle and hope he falls to us.
looks good
janzen jackson had more than a blow up with lane kiffin at tennessee ..he was one of 3 players that actually committed an armed robbery of a convenience store clerk
OUTSTANDING....I'd maybe go with Scwartz from Cal in 3rd, but, overall I love it !! i also believe we could move Culliver to FS to back up goldson and have a spot waiting for Dennard at the same time.
[ Edited by toppdogg32 on Apr 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM ]
From the highlights, Randle appears to have quickness as well as speed. He has moves, good balance, detemination, I'll take your word that he has good hands. As for the second round, I'd prefer an OG (remember that Kilgore couldn't outplay Rachal last year), then in the third start getting depth for the defense. ILB should be addressed in that Larry Grant's situation won't be clear before the draft.

Of course, now we're hearing that Boone may compete with Kilgore for OG. If that's the case, then the Niners have more picks than needed and they should trade up somewhere.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Apr 11, 2012 at 9:42 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone