LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 399 users in the forums

Analyzing the draft

Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
F that.

What, no good?

Trading up for a player who would be a luxury...not worth what we'd have to give up. For the record, I loved the Aldon pick last year and hated Mallett...

Well I guess we disagree in what his value to this team can be. I think he can be a Gronk / Graham type of difference making TE who can help solve our 3rd down and redzone woes. If he turns out to be that good, then trading up 9 spots to secure him would be well worth it. If he's not that good then obviously its not worth it. That's a question that may not be answered for a couple years either way.

As far as loving Aldon and hating Mallett, so you thought QB was not a position of need last year at this time? I did, and thought Mallett's rocket arm was the best QB who would be left. Its great that you loved Aldon, you were def in the minority there. You pretty much outwitted every draft expert and the general population. Mabye you're in the wrong business, take that show off the blogs and into the NFL!
F that.

What, no good?

Trading up for a player who would be a luxury...not worth what we'd have to give up. For the record, I loved the Aldon pick last year and hated Mallett...

Well I guess we disagree in what his value to this team can be. I think he can be a Gronk / Graham type of difference making TE who can help solve our 3rd down and redzone woes. If he turns out to be that good, then trading up 9 spots to secure him would be well worth it. If he's not that good then obviously its not worth it. That's a question that may not be answered for a couple years either way.

As far as loving Aldon and hating Mallett, so you thought QB was not a position of need last year at this time? I did, and thought Mallett's rocket arm was the best QB who would be left. Its great that you loved Aldon, you were def in the minority there. You pretty much outwitted every draft expert and the general population. Mabye you're in the wrong business, take that show off the blogs and into the NFL!

There are TE's like Orson Charles who I like who can be had in the 2nd round or later which would provide good value and which would allow us to possibly address real needs like our secondary/DLine/and OLine with 30.

As for last year, everyone on this board didn't like the Aldon pick because they either hadn't heard of him or they saw mock drafts with him going 10 or later...
Mallett was and is a headcase with a big arm yes but he came from a pass happy system at Arkansas where he had great WR's and padded his stats with screens and other short passes.

I don't claim to be any kind of expert although I do love the draft but it's amazing how illogical people get in the immediate moments after a pick is made and they don't know anything about the player (ie...Aldon)
There are TE's like Orson Charles who I like who can be had in the 2nd round or later which would provide good value and which would allow us to possibly address real needs like our secondary/DLine/and OLine with 30.

As for last year, everyone on this board didn't like the Aldon pick because they either hadn't heard of him or they saw mock drafts with him going 10 or later...
Mallett was and is a headcase with a big arm yes but he came from a pass happy system at Arkansas where he had great WR's and padded his stats with screens and other short passes.

I don't claim to be any kind of expert although I do love the draft but it's amazing how illogical people get in the immediate moments after a pick is made and they don't know anything about the player (ie...Aldon)

Very true, its hard for most people to go against what the "experts" spew out. Its why everyone loves reading about draft grades the Monday after draft weekend, like it matters at all. Mallett did come from a pass happy O, but dude has a ROCKET arm and is 6'7". I think he can be a legit NFL QB in the Big Ben mold. Thats a discussion for another day though.

As far as addressing other needs, I think our secondary is pretty stacked. We could use a true cover/ball hawking FS, but our corners are solid and SS should not be an issue for a couple years. Rogers, Brown, Culiver, Brock make up a pretty formidable secondary. This year we also get long looks at Holcomb. Nelms ( probably moving to FS ) and super talented headcase Cox. I dont think that's really a need for us this year, but I could see a late pick though for even more depth. Dline is the same, our starting 3 are rocks...RJ is really coming into his own and can play all three spots. Add in young talented guys like Tukuafu, Dobbs and Williams and we have the makings of a solid rotation. I think they will draft a run stuffing DL in the draft, but this draft is STACKED with DL prospects. We could get guys like Martin and Ta'amu in the 3rd or a gem like Fangupo in the 5th.

I agree with you 100% that an early pick needs to be put in for an interior OL, my 2nd round man crushes are Zeitler ( may need to trade up a little ) and Osemele. As for TE's though, Im really not high on Charles. If we draft a TE later, I love Egnew. I belive Fleener is more of a difference maker than any TE in this class. In our system, the same run at Stanford, he would make an immediate impact. With all the 2 and 3 TE sets we run, he would create so many mismatches. In the end though, Harbaugh knows him better than anyone. If Fleener is the goods, we will know by what actions we take in the draft. Remember when Baalke fell in love with Anthony Davis, he traded up a couple spots to make sure he got him when most said it was unnecessary to do so. I could see the same thing happening this year since I think Houston would be very interested in a guy like Fleener

Another poster made a great point in another thread, I think the 9ers will focus on getting quality over quantity this year. We have a pretty stacked roster already with a ton of young guys, It would make sense to move up and grab guys we love. Then again, what the F do I know??? lol I just love talking football.
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Apr 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM ]
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I can't wait!
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I was intrigued by Mallett arm and the fact he played under center. Surprised by Aldon Smith pick but we are all glad that they passed on Gabbert.
i think we go more after raw talent this year than recent years because we have most starters in place... so instead of going with the safe yet average player like we did in the 2000's we will start going after raw coachable talent
Share 49ersWebzone