There are 305 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Analyzing the draft

Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
l
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
YUP @ 7...ha! I was always a big fan of Mallett and we needed a QB since Smith was out the door, or so we thought. Yeah, Im not quittin my day job

What were you lookin for last year Diva?

ill admit i wanted prince (i still tink he will be a beast was just injured last year) then i wanted quinn then aldon was #3

Prince was my 2. I was so pissed Jimmy T. won that last game against the Cards 2 years ago, cost us Peterson. Now though? The Smith/Culliver combo will trump and Peterson/OLB we would have gotten in the 3rd, and I think the world of PP, Aldons THAT good. The experts blasted the 9ers for both our picks, but we struck GOLD!

As far as Aldon being shocked, I think over the past 12 months were learning more and more how this new regime operates...like the USSR KGB, cloak and dagger sh!t!!!

damn..sorry for the double post,,,laptop is shot
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
yeah man, I BLASTED the Aldon pick, I wanted Ryan Mallett. Thank god I dont run this team...lol

As far as surprises, I think we trade up for the Bengals 2nd #1, pick 21, to grab Fleener.

@ 7? LOL

We could've got Mallett in the 2nd round and that's who i hoped we would take.
YUP @ 7...ha! I was always a big fan of Mallett and we needed a QB since Smith was out the door, or so we thought. Yeah, Im not quittin my day job

What were you lookin for last year Diva?

Haha.

I was on the Robert Quinn/Prince Amukumara bandwagon.

So glad we took neither.
The Niners' draft will tell us a great deal of what Baalke and Harbaugh think of the team. If in the first they draft a WR (Hill/Wright/etc.) they will probably want to open up the offense. If they go Fleener, they'll stay ball control. Trading up in either case will increase the indication. If they choose an interior lineman in the first, then they are not so high on Kilgore. A surprise with a chance of occurring would be trading up in the first for Cordy Glenn. Probably the biggest surprise would be a running back in the first two rounds.
I think with not as many holes this year in the roster there is no way we keep our 7 picks. I think we make trades to move up and get rid of some of our picks. The roster is pretty much set we just need to get depth at some positions. I expect us not to use all 7 picks in this draft
Originally posted by valrod33:
I think with not as many holes this year in the roster there is no way we keep our 7 picks. I think we make trades to move up and get rid of some of our picks. The roster is pretty much set we just need to get depth at some positions. I expect us not to use all 7 picks in this draft

Yeah Valrod, the more I look at the roster with all the fringe guys like Ian Williams, Dobbs, Beeler, Byham, Cox, Holcomb, Jones, Nelms, Person, Reuland, Tolzien and Tukuafu...the more I think you may be right. Man the competition is going to be crazy in camp! I think teams are going to start poaching our practice squad players. Too many good players is a GREAT problem to have.
Really good post.

baalke is VERY smart and I think he is going to trade up and take Fleener.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
YUP @ 7...ha! I was always a big fan of Mallett and we needed a QB since Smith was out the door, or so we thought. Yeah, Im not quittin my day job

What were you lookin for last year Diva?

ill admit i wanted prince (i still tink he will be a beast was just injured last year) then i wanted quinn then aldon was #3
I think Quinn could still be good as well. He unfortunately is one of those players that got drafted by a team that doesn't have an identity.
WildBill,

Good Post! Baalke has been pretty direct at drafting the biggest needs we have had. Even moving up in each draft to go get a certain guy they felt could do the job. It is still BPA but when you aren't a very good team you have to also fill big needs. Now that we are a better team, it will be much harder to predict what the needs of the team are.

Everytime I try to work out a mock draft I go back and forth of what the best strategy is. Normally I think OG, TE, WR and RB. I know there are other needs but the redzone and the offense running more smoothly can be helped with these 4 positions. It's just hard to see the 1st 4 picks going to the Offense.

Crazy Prediction would be trades going everywhere but somehow landing: Fleener, Amini Silatolu, Turbin and then wait for a WR to develop like Childs, Fuller, Jenkins or Streeter if he falls.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Really good post.

baalke is VERY smart and I think he is going to trade up and take Fleener.
If I had to guess, I like Trading into Denver's spot to grab Fleener...
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
The Niners' draft will tell us a great deal of what Baalke and Harbaugh think of the team. If in the first they draft a WR (Hill/Wright/etc.) they will probably want to open up the offense. If they go Fleener, they'll stay ball control. Trading up in either case will increase the indication. If they choose an interior lineman in the first, then they are not so high on Kilgore. A surprise with a chance of occurring would be trading up in the first for Cordy Glenn. Probably the biggest surprise would be a running back in the first two rounds.

Its not so much not being so high on Kilgore as much as putting out the best product and versatility. As I stated- Kilgore is penciled in as the starter, but he was also being groomed to be the eventual center. If they can find a starter in the draft, then Kilgore will back up our center and guard. Konz may well be the pick if they feel he can compete at guard also.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
The Niners' draft will tell us a great deal of what Baalke and Harbaugh think of the team. If in the first they draft a WR (Hill/Wright/etc.) they will probably want to open up the offense. If they go Fleener, they'll stay ball control. Trading up in either case will increase the indication. If they choose an interior lineman in the first, then they are not so high on Kilgore. A surprise with a chance of occurring would be trading up in the first for Cordy Glenn. Probably the biggest surprise would be a running back in the first two rounds.

Its not so much not being so high on Kilgore as much as putting out the best product and versatility. As I stated- Kilgore is penciled in as the starter, but he was also being groomed to be the eventual center. If they can find a starter in the draft, then Kilgore will back up our center and guard. Konz may well be the pick if they feel he can compete at guard also.

Dont forget that we still have former Stanford starting C Chase Beeler who was on our practice squad in 2011. In 2010, he was named AP first-team All-American, first-team All-Pac-10 and second-team All-American by the Walter Camp Football Foundation.

I read that he turned down multiple offers from other teams and that he's been working out at the facility all offseason. He's 6'3" and 295, pretty strong too with 33 reps at the combine. Will a full year working with our coaches, I could see him moving up the depth chart this year and becoming the backup C.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Okay, everyone has their draft crush and most of us will disappointed to different degrees, others will cry bloody murder and want Baalke's head. In Baalke's two years at the controls. Although he has picked BPA it has always been a position of need. Last year the consensus was for Von Miller, Patrick Peterson, Robert Quinn and Prince. When it was apperent that Von Miller would not be available, people shifted their desires to the other three. Last year we needed a pass rusher, QB and a CB in that order. In the end it ended up being a position of need, but the pick came out of left field. Let's be honest most of us get our info from others and only after the pick was made and we read, studied and analyzed Aldon's history and film did we go wow this looks like a good pick. We did get our get our QB and then later our CB (but it was much later).

The year before we needed linemen and we went and got a linemen.

This year we need interior linemen Decastro and Konz being mention most prominently here with Cordy getting a few mentions, we also feel we need a receiving target, it doesn't matter if TE or WR, with Fleener, Wright, Hill and Randle being high on the list. RB is also strong on the list even with Jacobs even though it is priority #3.

Since we have all our D starters back. I think we table safety, DL till next year or maybe the late rounds if the picks are not used to move up.

So, who is this year's unexpected pick? Or should I say how will Baalke surprise us this year (we didn't expect him to give away a 4th to get our tackle)?

Respectfully, I disagree with this statement. The strength of this draft is in its depth at DL, WR, and CB... I would expect Baalke to draft one player at each of these positions and a safety prospect (since that is an area of needed depth)... It wouldn't shock me if the Niners don't draft a RB prospect (because they just signed Jacobs).

With its FA moves thus far, the team has really set itself up for just adding talented players in this draft, almost regardless of position. I really can't remember another year in the team's history when this has been the case. This is why I agree with the posts that state that it is likely the Niners trade up to get the players they really like than wait. They don't really need starting players in this draft. They can afford to gamble on guys that are raw but have great talent...guys like S. Hill for example.

This draft is going to be fun!!

Cheers!
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Okay, everyone has their draft crush and most of us will disappointed to different degrees, others will cry bloody murder and want Baalke's head. In Baalke's two years at the controls. Although he has picked BPA it has always been a position of need. Last year the consensus was for Von Miller, Patrick Peterson, Robert Quinn and Prince. When it was apperent that Von Miller would not be available, people shifted their desires to the other three. Last year we needed a pass rusher, QB and a CB in that order. In the end it ended up being a position of need, but the pick came out of left field. Let's be honest most of us get our info from others and only after the pick was made and we read, studied and analyzed Aldon's history and film did we go wow this looks like a good pick. We did get our get our QB and then later our CB (but it was much later).

The year before we needed linemen and we went and got a linemen.

This year we need interior linemen Decastro and Konz being mention most prominently here with Cordy getting a few mentions, we also feel we need a receiving target, it doesn't matter if TE or WR, with Fleener, Wright, Hill and Randle being high on the list. RB is also strong on the list even with Jacobs even though it is priority #3.

Since we have all our D starters back. I think we table safety, DL till next year or maybe the late rounds if the picks are not used to move up.

So, who is this year's unexpected pick? Or should I say how will Baalke surprise us this year (we didn't expect him to give away a 4th to get our tackle)?

Respectfully, I disagree with this statement. The strength of this draft is in its depth at DL, WR, and CB... I would expect Baalke to draft one player at each of these positions and a safety prospect (since that is an area of needed depth)... It wouldn't shock me if the Niners don't draft a RB prospect (because they just signed Jacobs).

With its FA moves thus far, the team has really set itself up for just adding talented players in this draft, almost regardless of position. I really can't remember another year in the team's history when this has been the case. This is why I agree with the posts that state that it is likely the Niners trade up to get the players they really like than wait. They don't really need starting players in this draft. They can afford to gamble on guys that are raw but have great talent...guys like S. Hill for example.

This draft is going to be fun!!

Cheers!
Not even disagreeing with you... do you think people could say the same thing about wr after we signed brett swain. He isn't worth a whole lot but we only have so many roster spots. It might be too many wr's if we draft Hill or someone s getting bumped.

The other thing is not needing starters in this draft... does that mean that you feel like the pieces we have added in FA are enough to get over our redzone/passing offense woesssssss. I think we added some good players but I would like some better TE's after VD and better Oline because we gave up too many sacks.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
yeah man, I BLASTED the Aldon pick, I wanted Ryan Mallett. Thank god I dont run this team...lol

As far as surprises, I think we trade up for the Bengals 2nd #1, pick 21, to grab Fleener.

F that.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
F that.

What, no good?
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
F that.

What, no good?

Trading up for a player who would be a luxury...not worth what we'd have to give up. For the record, I loved the Aldon pick last year and hated Mallett...