There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Use The First Pick To Draft An Offensive Guard

Interesting points.

Completely disagree with #2.

Late round selection means Zero. Obviously, the people in the know feel Kilgore can play the position. Also, a drafted guard will be untested in game situations.

So, BPA is our choice.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Is anybody on board to trade next years #1 for a second round pick in this years draft ?

Our team is strong and we arent desperate at a lot of positions ..but we need a RG, and help at WR, TE , DL and CB

with an extra pick in the 2nd round, we could grab a player that will contribute right away

and why not trade our 7th, 6th and 5th round picks and try and move into the 4th round

I know this is not madden, but we could grab some quality players we know have a great chance of contributing this season and "hoping" the late round picks pan out and be labled "projects" for the future ...this is the year we could grab some quality players and take a serious run at the superbowl.

If we were to use next years #1 I'd rather we package it with this years #1 and move up in the 1st round for DeCastro or a top shelf play maker.

No thank you, I've thought about it and our #1 need next year will probably be a DT/NT and Star Lotulelei from Utah should be available for us then. Also maybe by some freakish luck WR Marquess Wilson could be around for us as well.

I'd prefer not to see them give up next years #1, but if a legit top ten prospect slipped to within striking distance I assume they'd consider it.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Interesting points.

Completely disagree with #2.

Late round selection means Zero. Obviously, the people in the know feel Kilgore can play the position. Also, a drafted guard will be untested in game situations.

So, BPA is our choice.

How is this obvious? Details man, details!!!
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Is anybody on board to trade next years #1 for a second round pick in this years draft ?

Our team is strong and we arent desperate at a lot of positions ..but we need a RG, and help at WR, TE , DL and CB

with an extra pick in the 2nd round, we could grab a player that will contribute right away

and why not trade our 7th, 6th and 5th round picks and try and move into the 4th round

I know this is not madden, but we could grab some quality players we know have a great chance of contributing this season and "hoping" the late round picks pan out and be labled "projects" for the future ...this is the year we could grab some quality players and take a serious run at the superbowl.

If we were to use next years #1 I'd rather we package it with this years #1 and move up in the 1st round for DeCastro or a top shelf play maker.

No thank you, I've thought about it and our #1 need next year will probably be a DT/NT and Star Lotulelei from Utah should be available for us then. Also maybe by some freakish luck WR Marquess Wilson could be around for us as well.

I'd prefer not to see them give up next years #1, but if a legit top ten prospect slipped to within striking distance I assume they'd consider it.

I would be open to moving next years #1 for an early 2nd this year IF a top prospect at WR, RG or CB was available after we make our 1st round pick ..I know its a risky move, but I'm sure Baalke and Harbaugh will consider all options to make us better next year
49ers need skill position player the Guard position can be addressed in Free Agency!
I'd say only if their other BPA's are all off the board...and that's not very likely. I think Harbaugh will want Fleener...he's still steamed at not taking Baldwin last year, who ended up playing well in Seattle. They like Kilgore a lot...and he'll get every chance to become the starting RG. They'll probably draft an OL, maybe a guy who can play both C and OG. If for some reason they couldn't get Fleener, they might go after a guy like Peter Konz, who could be Goodwin's eventual replacement, but also b/u or start at RG if Kilgore's not ready.
Originally posted by 9erred:
So you are assuming that the top tier guards will be off the board by the time the Niners Pick in round one, and that Baalke will not trade up as it would cost too much.

You are then assuming that a rookie second tier guard could come in and outperform a player who is in his second year of the NFL. Hmmmmm think about that for a while.

Robert Gallery was considered the safest pick in the draft, he could not beat out Barry Sims to take a starting spot.

I reallize the 9ers need a guard, but I do not believe outside of De Castro there is any slam dunk guard that would be starting day one available at 30.

Hmmmmm...your second year player was a 5th round choice who only played a few snaps. Hmmmm...so we have no experience to indicate if he is capable of stepping into a starting role, certainly the odds are against it. Hmmmm...so why not increase the odds by drafting the best guard available as soon as we can, especially when we have no other urgent needs...to me it's just common sense...Hmmmmm.
Originally posted by jsaniner:
So you are assuming that the top tier guards will be off the board by the time the Niners Pick in round one, and that Baalke will not trade up as it would cost too much.

You are then assuming that a rookie second tier guard could come in and outperform a player who is in his second year of the NFL. Hmmmmm think about that for a while.

Robert Gallery was considered the safest pick in the draft, he could not beat out Barry Sims to take a starting spot.

I reallize the 9ers need a guard, but I do not believe outside of De Castro there is any slam dunk guard that would be starting day one available at 30.

Hmmmmm...your second year player was a 5th round choice who only played a few snaps. Hmmmm...so we have no experience to indicate if he is capable of stepping into a starting role, certainly the odds are against it. Hmmmm...so why not increase the odds by drafting the best guard available as soon as we can, especially when we have no other urgent needs...to me it's just common sense...Hmmmmm.

Where you one of the Webzoners who was screaming because they let Takeo Spikes go to San Diego, and you where afraid of Bowman starting at ILB, because he had very little game experience??

Where you one of the webzoners who freaked out when they let Manny Lawson (former 1st round pick) and give the position to Brooks?

Where you one of the webzoners who freaked out when they let Aubroyo Franklin go to New Orleans, and they where going to move Sopoaga from DE to NT?

Where you one of the webzoners who freaked out when the niners let Nate Clements go?

Where you one of the webzoners who freaked out over letting David Baas go to the Giants?

Where you one of the webzoners who freaked out when Joe Nedney left via free agency?

Where you one of the Niners who freaked out when the Niners where going to start a converted DE at FB over Moran Norris??

My trust is with Baalke and Harbaugh. Most teams have turnover, look at the niners turnover last year. If RG is the only spot, they can get a guard in FA and draft one. I simply think that beyond De Castro and Konz, you are not getting value at pick 30. Any other pick preferably pick 3 down, would be better. Just my opinion, which is worthless, but I think Kilgore should be given the opportunity.
Kilgores gonna start. Dont want a G in the first.

A full season learning the offensive system, even as a back-up, should give Kilgore a healthy advantage. And Baalke's willingness to let the other RG options walk with little or no fuss tells me that they feel pretty damn good about him, not to mention the fact the he traded up to get him last year.

I still think Kilgore is destined for center eventually, so we're going to need another interior o-lineman either way . . . but we don't need to reach.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Why do people not get this.... you don't spend a 1st round pick on an interior OL! It usually is not good value for the pick. You can draft guys in rounds 2-5 that can be quality starters in the NFL at the OG and C positions. But they usually need a year or two to develop.

That is why Kilgore will probably be our starter. We will draft someone in round 2-4 to compete with him and provide depth.

I'm guessing our draft goes something like this:

1st - best offensive playmaker available
2nd - DL or RB (to replace J. Smith or Gore in a couple years)
3rd - WR
4th - OG
5th - CB

"you don't spend a 1st round pick on an interior Ol" Really??? Then why were Mike Lupati and Anthony Davis picked in the 1st round teens? Baalke made those picks because he saw huge holes in the O-Line that needed to be filled immediately with the best available players. I'm just saying maybe the right guard position is the same situation this year.

I'm not convinced Baakle and Harbaugh have that much faith Kilgore can step right in. They could be blowing smoke.

Some have suggested trading up to get De Castro, but he's expected to go around #15, so that would be a big price to pay. The guy I like is Glenn, appears to have all pro potential, another Lupati, should be there around #20, would be worth the price to have someone of his caliber for the next 10 years.
Why do people not get this.... you don't spend a 1st round pick on an interior OL! It usually is not good value for the pick. You can draft guys in rounds 2-5 that can be quality starters in the NFL at the OG and C positions. But they usually need a year or two to develop.

That is why Kilgore will probably be our starter. We will draft someone in round 2-4 to compete with him and provide depth.

3rd - WR
4th - OG
5th - CB

"you don't spend a 1st round pick on an interior Ol" Really??? Then why were Mike Lupati and Anthony Davis picked in the 1st round teens? Baalke made those picks because he saw huge holes in the O-Line that needed to be filled immediately with the best available players. I'm just saying maybe the right guard position is the same situation this year.

I'm not convinced Baakle and Harbaugh have that much faith Kilgore can step right in. They could be blowing smoke.

Some have suggested trading up to get De Castro, but he's expected to go around #15, so that would be a big price to pay. The guy I like is Glenn, appears to have all pro potential, another Lupati, should be there around #20, would be worth the price to have someone of his caliber for the next 10 years.
NEWSFLASH:
The National Football League offensive tackle previously known as Mike Iupati has officially changed his name to Mike Lupati, noting the continued misspellings of his name including by fans of his San Francisco 49ers. In solidarity, every present 49er teammate is also changing their names. Justin Smith is now Justin Lmith. Others are Patrick Lillis, Carlos Logers, Vernon Lavis, Michael Lrabtree and Frank Lore.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

3rd - WR
4th - OG
5th - CB

NEWSFLASH:
The National Football League offensive tackle previously known as Mike Iupati has officially changed his name to Mike Lupati, noting the continued misspellings of his name including by fans of his San Francisco 49ers. In solidarity, every present 49er teammate is also changing their names. Justin Smith is now Justin Lmith. Others are Patrick Lillis, Carlos Rodgers, Vernon Lavis, Dashon Goldston, Michael Lrabtree and Frank Gire.
fixed
Where you one of the Webzoners who was screaming because they let Takeo Spikes go to San Diego, and you where afraid of Bowman starting at ILB, because he had very little game experience??

Where you one of the webzoners who freaked out when they let Manny Lawson (former 1st round pick) and give the position to Brooks?

Where you one of the webzoners who freaked out when they let Aubroyo Franklin go to New Orleans, and they where going to move Sopoaga from DE to NT?

Where you one of the webzoners who freaked out when the niners let Nate Clements go?

Where you one of the webzoners who freaked out over letting David Baas go to the Giants?

Where you one of the webzoners who freaked out when Joe Nedney left via free agency?

Where you one of the Niners who freaked out when the Niners where going to start a converted DE at FB over Moran Norris??

My trust is with Baalke and Harbaugh. Most teams have turnover, look at the niners turnover last year. If RG is the only spot, they can get a guard in FA and draft one. I simply think that beyond De Castro and Konz, you are not getting value at pick 30. Any other pick preferably pick 3 down, would be better. Just my opinion, which is worthless, but I think Kilgore should be given the opportunity.

This.

How can one not have confidence in Baalke/Harbaugh???? Baalke gets the man for his coach ( even for Singletary). Many here are calling for Fleener. Has too much a "homie" feel on that call (We aren't calling for any other TEs right?) but, I would be good because: Whoever we select, I will be delighted.

How much do they like Kilgore? The draft and possible FA acquisition will tell us.

I personally would like to see a DL. Want to keep the D potent, while improving the O.

Unless they do not pick one. Then I will be delighted.

I Believe we should use our second round on a OT and First round on A WR or Coby Fleener