LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Use The First Pick To Draft An Offensive Guard

If Fleener is there, we gotta grab him , I'm sure we will lose Walker after this season, and not just because it's a copycat league with New England having so much success with their two TE sets , but because Harbaugh is a crafty coach that likes to get creative with heavy packages, and our 2 & 3 TE sets can be punishing to deal with another talented TE on the roster
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I'd be disappointed if we reach for an OG with #30. After the upper tier I don't think there's huge difference between what we could get at #30 vs #61. I'd rather we went BPA at #30 and then try to jump up from #61 to land the best OG/C prospect to filter through.
I would end up being ok because the Oline is important but yeah after the top tier are gone I would wait for Osemele. They traded up for Kilgore and I think they want to see what they have in that pick.
IMO, Harbaugh and Baalke have not endorsed Kilgore as a starter. The fact that the team has not signed a quality FA Right Guard is more of a sign that the front office thinks the draft is deep at the RG position. They will talk up Kilgore as a starter to spread some dis-information and cover their scent. I think they beleive that we could draft a quality RG in the 1st or 2nd round and that would be an upgrade on Kilgore and would be better than the last 3 RG FAs that we hosted.
Everyone needs to think back to last year, when New England was "supposed" to get pass rushing help in the draft. This was their only need. The didn't draft a single pass rusher, but instead they drafted depth for next year's Free Agency class (losing Green-Ellis and potentially Hoyer), and stock-piled picks for the future. If it looks like a "need" to us, the front office already figured out what they are going to do with it. It's Kilgore, folks.

If you're looking forward to next year, Walker's replacement makes sense to me (Fleener), not to mention, the TE seam route is (i) a throw Alex hits consistently, and (ii) a staple in the Harbaugh offense. I could see us going WR, but I'm thinking Fleener or trade down are the only options.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
BPA by all means and trade 5 - 7 draft picks, odds are they are not going to make this team.

Um, because our depth is so strong?

No, but we are definatly a much stronger team, you can use those trade for next years draft for much better draft positions. We are no longer going to be drafting in the top 15 spots for awhile. The good teams trade their later round picks to move and pick up players in the following draft in a better draft position. (1-4).
We need a play maker wr or te.
Originally posted by English:
BPA by all means and trade 5 - 7 draft picks, odds are they are not going to make this team.

Um, because our depth is so strong?

No, but we are definatly a much stronger team, you can use those trade for next years draft for much better draft positions. We are no longer going to be drafting in the top 15 spots for awhile. The good teams trade their later round picks to move and pick up players in the following draft in a better draft position. (1-4).

Sorry but I think this is a very naive view. Whilst I see some positions at which we have strength in depth, at other positions our depth is suspect to say the least. Posters are forgetting how recently we were a fairly dismal team.

To select two examples, Depth at the wide receiver position was obviously poor last year and interior line depth is untried. In fact a case can be made that at most O positions the depth is untried and possibly suspect. Whilst there will possibly be some Larry Grant's waiting to emerge, it may not be wise to rely on this.

BPA by all means, I fully support this. But trading away our picks into the future? I don't think we are at that place yet.
Only if DeCastro is there or we can reach for him. By your own admission if the top candidates are gone by 30. De Castro and Glenn. Why reach in round 1? I'm also with longtime49erfan. BPA, and that includes if we trade up. It also isn't unheard of to get a starting calibur guard in 2 or 3.
Is anybody on board to trade next years #1 for a second round pick in this years draft ?

Our team is strong and we arent desperate at a lot of positions ..but we need a RG, and help at WR, TE , DL and CB

with an extra pick in the 2nd round, we could grab a player that will contribute right away

and why not trade our 7th, 6th and 5th round picks and try and move into the 4th round

I know this is not madden, but we could grab some quality players we know have a great chance of contributing this season and "hoping" the late round picks pan out and be labled "projects" for the future ...this is the year we could grab some quality players and take a serious run at the superbowl.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Is anybody on board to trade next years #1 for a second round pick in this years draft ?

Our team is strong and we arent desperate at a lot of positions ..but we need a RG, and help at WR, TE , DL and CB

with an extra pick in the 2nd round, we could grab a player that will contribute right away

and why not trade our 7th, 6th and 5th round picks and try and move into the 4th round

I know this is not madden, but we could grab some quality players we know have a great chance of contributing this season and "hoping" the late round picks pan out and be labled "projects" for the future ...this is the year we could grab some quality players and take a serious run at the superbowl.

If we were to use next years #1 I'd rather we package it with this years #1 and move up in the 1st round for DeCastro or a top shelf play maker.

Originally posted by jsaniner:
These are the reasons we need to use the first pick to draft a guard to replace Snyder.

1. The position is critical to the success of the O-Line. This was demonstrated when the line struggled last year until Snyder replaced Rachel. Snyder played at a high level that will be hard to duplicate.

2. Some may think Kilgore can replace Snyder, but he is a late round choice that is untested in game situations. It would be foolish and risky to assume he can just step in as a starter.

3. The signings of Moss and Manningham and re-signing of Ginn reduces the need to spend a first round choice on a wide receiver. The signing of Jacobs reduces the need to do the same on a running back.

4. The quality free agents at guard are already signed. There doesn't appear to be much of value left in the free agent pool.

5. Every position except right guard has a proven experienced starter signed. It's obvious that's the greatest need.

6.The best offensive guards, De Castro and Glenn, will be long gone (unless Baalke trades up, unlikely). The top remaining candidates appear to be Zeitler (Wisconsin), Osemele (Iowa State), and Silatolu (Midwestern St.).

Disagree:

1. Snyder's play wasn't that great.. Just because it was better then Rachal's does not meant it was great or even good. Can't remember if it was Barrows or Maiocco, but they did a break down of where most of the pressure from opposing pass rushes was coming from, and they found it came from the RG position, more so between the Center and RG position. It that numbers were only slightly better with Snyder in place of Rachal..

2. Many RG gems have been found in the later rounds like Carl Nicks... If Harbaugh has confidence that Kilgore can step up, you should to, Harbaugh I would say has earned all our trust...

3. The signing of Moss, Manningham and Ginn does not reduce our need to draft a receiver early. Moss and Ginn are on 1 year contracts. Ginn is primarily a return guy, while who knows how much Moss has left or baring attitude, how long he will last.. Manningham is only signed to a 2 year contract. And has been a #2 or #3 most of his career... This is a stop gap so we can like Baalke and Harbaugh have said numerous times, build the team through the draft. None of these signings mentioned are long term...

4. There are a few veteran guards that can be signed as insurance should Kilgore not workout.

5. I can agree there, every position except RG has experienced starters.. But, the best teams year in and year out, proven by Bill Walsh, draft the Best Player Available, not for need.... If the BPA is also a need, even better... But always, BPA!

6. Baalke may trade up. Or he may use the 1st round pick on a play-maker, a WR or Fleener.. With the Niners offense and Fleener's familiarity with harbaugh's system that may have him ranked high, that may go that route and then trade up in the 2nd round to grab peeps like Zeitler (Wisconsin), Osemele (Iowa State), and Silatolu (Midwestern St.).

No, we don't necessarily need to use the first pick on a RG................
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

If we were to use next years #1 I'd rather we package it with this years #1 and move up in the 1st round for DeCastro or a top shelf play maker.

No thank you, I've thought about it and our #1 need next year will probably be a DT/NT and Star Lotulelei from Utah should be available for us then. Also maybe by some freakish luck WR Marquess Wilson could be around for us as well.

I am on board and I am currently working on it for my mock draft. But needs change sometimes when we sign a guy like Brandon Jacobs or lose a Reggie Smith.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
id rather get a playmaker in 1st such as wright or fleener maybe even alshon jeffery

then trade up in 2nd for one of those G

This is a very deep draft for guards. i wouldn't trade up.at all. Just stand pat and a good player will still be available.
Would not be mad if took a guard. Hey I tend to agree with the people saying it's not wise to throw 1st rounders at the line every year when you have inadequate playmakers but it is a need and it doesn't help that Goodwin is a short term solution as well.

Peter Konz makes perfect sense at 30 so if he ends up being our pick I won't complain.
Share 49ersWebzone