LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

MadDog's Best Player Available Board #1-50

According to Maddog's rankings, I've already won the WZ Collab Draft

(Dolphins)
We seem to disagree on Sanu. Perhaps you can help me. The Uconn game is considered one of his better ones, so I decided to give it a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoVGzvhJZe0

Very very unimpressed. Here are my notes:

:49 fails to impress with strenghth. Should be able to out power college DB.

:56 drops ball

1:43 drops TD. Awful drop

1:57 doesn't make a play on the ball. Tipped, so not his fault

2:39 worst play of the game. gets completey beaten by DB inside

3:15 What the heck is this guy thinking? Who runs this far backwards? Not a smart play at all.

3:45 falls just short of the first down. Not a fan of a guy who goes down 1 yard shy of the marker

4:32 Really nice play. Impressed on that one

4:40 Again allows defender to beat him in the red zone. Not a sharp route at all. Can't really tell if that was his fault or not tho

4:56 another drop

Several TD drops. Several other drops, and definite lack of speed. For all his strength he got beaten by a DB inside, and often went down easily on first contact. Also, only 1 pass really impressed me. The other receptions were nothing to write home about. I understand this isn't the greatest game tape (youtube), and maybe it's not really one of his better games, but from this sample I'm hardly impressed. Please help me understand what you see in him, and point out if it's visible in the video I posted. Thanks! Much appreciate all your input
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This is why I think we stocked up on all our 'depth' guys through FA instead of the draft this year (2nd/3rd year players/fresh guys that missed 2011; Baalke is gonna be making some heavy trades for some 'can't-miss' players (either at OG, or WR). -This is usually what a lot of teams do at our draft position.

I actually wouldn't mind drafting quality over quantity this year.
MD, what do you think of Amini Silatolu?
How high of a ceiling do yousee for Andre Branch? He is my number 1 wantbut don't think the Niners will draft the position early. And do you think he would be a fit for our D anyway?
Originally posted by mebemused:
On many mocks, I see Kendall Reyes going to Green Bay or New England late in the first round. You have him at #45. Is that a case of 34 DE position inflation?

Another example in the opposite direction is RBs. You have 3 in your top twenty, but most mocks I've seen only have Richardson going in the first round.

Lastly, any chance you would extend your value board to #61, the 9ers second round pick?

I will start with the second question first. At #61, the Niners would find someone with top 50 talent, since not every player personnel director would agree with me on their BPA board.

As for the RB class, I think it is pretty good, although not great. I think the top three can be terrific pros, and after them, I believe Vick Ballard and Bernard Pierce have great shots to be fine RB's that help their squad. I am not as high on Lamar Miller as some.

Reyes is one of the top 34 DE prospects, and teams are looking for those long, athletic, tall, mobile DE's who function best in that system.
Originally posted by buck:
Thanks.

I would find a way to put Harrison Smith, safety from Norte Dame, into the top 50.
I think he is better than both 47 Bobbie Massey Mississippi OT and 49 Mitchell Schwartz Cal OT.

I also see that Kalil has raised his stock in your eyes.

9 Matt Kalil USC OT
10 Peter Konz Wisconsin C
11 Cordy Glenn Georgia OT/OG
Smith is a nice player, but I don't have him as top 50. Many would.

I really like Schwartz. The kid could be one of the smartest entrees this year into the draft, and according to reports, was outstanding in combine interviews. I thought he had a great week at the Senior Bowl practice, and played well in the game. Now, to me, he is a right tackle. But, there is talent there.

Kalil, Konz, Glenn are all in that same level in my estimation. I don't see much separation. In a draft with few stud LT's, Kalil looks like the man this year. Glenn is the most versatile OL in the draft, and he is going to find a starting role right away. The same for Konz, who is a great talent.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by mebemused:
On many mocks, I see Kendall Reyes going to Green Bay or New England late in the first round. You have him at #45. Is that a case of 34 DE position inflation?

Another example in the opposite direction is RBs. You have 3 in your top twenty, but most mocks I've seen only have Richardson going in the first round.

Lastly, any chance you would extend your value board to #61, the 9ers second round pick?

I will start with the second question first. At #61, the Niners would find someone with top 50 talent, since not every player personnel director would agree with me on their BPA board.

As for the RB class, I think it is pretty good, although not great. I think the top three can be terrific pros, and after them, I believe Vick Ballard and Bernard Pierce have great shots to be fine RB's that help their squad. I am not as high on Lamar Miller as some.

Reyes is one of the top 34 DE prospects, and teams are looking for those long, athletic, tall, mobile DE's who function best in that system.

I think we disagree more this year than most years. I'm very low on Bernard Pierce. Maybe it is from seeing limited games, but I was never impressed. He did not look to me like someone who could get to the edge in the NFL. He looked to go down on contact too easy and someone who was really just a straight-ahead runner. Just seems stiff and not shifty.

I do like Ballard, he seems to have some short area quickness to him. David Wilson is dynamic, Doug Martin looks well-balance, Turbin looks like a feature back, and the extremely fit Michael Smith is a rock solid sleeper who is an unknown that might excel, given the chance.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Wow. Markelle Martin over Barron? A.J. Jenkins that high? And Schwartz that high?

Outside of Wagner, your top 30 looks sound. After that...meh.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if other teams agree with your rankings.

And I don't mean this post in a mean way - just a lot of curve balls after your 30th ranking.
Really curious to see how Martin runs this next week. Still recovering. While Barron is a nice player, I don't see an exceptional player at the next level, but someone who is solid.

Love Jenkins- really growing as a player, runs sharp routes.
Schwartz- nice blend of talent and intelligence
Wagner- Super stud. Most underrated player in the draft. I think he has a good chance to be a Pro-Bowler someday.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
I assume the Alabama boys - Upshaw and Hightower are downgraded because they're one-dimentional. And Ingram because tweener. If that's not rationale please advise.

Just can't get my arms around Sanu at 15 even after your explanation. Shocking.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

I can't see Hightower playing at a high level with that size. Call me a skeptic, but a middle backer at 265 pounds. I just see limitations at that size.

Upshaw ran a 4.80+ forty today, and looks stiff in LB drills at the combine. Great college player, but don't see specialness in the NFL.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
17 can't miss prospects in your estimation and Bobby Wagner is one of them. Would love to hear why you think he is in that group.

Also, what's your take on Osemele? Looked to me like he needs some serious technique work after watching him at the Senior Bowl.......

Wagner is one of my favorite players in the draft. Team leader, smart, All-everything every year, consistently solid.

Wagner closes really quickly on plays, has excellent instincts, and is a sure tackler. Moves well in attacking the quarterback, but also in coverage. If he was 6'2", he would be a first rounder.

Final note: I am a big believer of the Senior Bowl being an accurate gauge of a player's ability to move to the next level in the NFL, and Wagner had a great Senior Bowl week and game. He is simply a very good player. Not flashy, but a guy you want to war with every week.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
I assume the Alabama boys - Upshaw and Hightower are downgraded because they're one-dimentional. And Ingram because tweener. If that's not rationale please advise.

Just can't get my arms around Sanu at 15 even after your explanation. Shocking.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

I can't see Hightower playing at a high level with that size. Call me a skeptic, but a middle backer at 265 pounds. I just see limitations at that size.

Upshaw ran a 4.80+ forty today, and looks stiff in LB drills at the combine. Great college player, but don't see specialness in the NFL.

From all I've read, Upshaw was falling. Moved him into the 2nd round and that appears to be very likely to come true now. After today, he hasn't helped himself. He's still a second rounder, but some will have to question how much being on a great defense helped him.

- Short arms
- Short in height and 270+ pounds, not great expectations for being mobile and probably going to have to be a situational 4-3 rusher.
- Now a 4.8+ forty makes him look less athletic.

Mid to late 2nd.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Nice work MadDog. Quick question. You seem to be very high on Coples. I dont like him at all. I also dont have any proper reason not to like him, more of a gut thing. Can you tell me why you think he will be successful at the next level?

Most talented defender in the draft. Quick, long-armed, smooth. Simply bored in 2011, and that lackluster play was roundly criticized, as it should. Cranked it up to a whole new level during Senior Bowl week. This guy, if motivated, and I think he will, is going to be a nightmare to block, throw around, etc. Special skills.
I may have mistaken your post but are they ranked in order? You think Trent Richardson is the 3rd best player in the draft? He's the best RB in the draft but that doesn't mean he's a top 5 pick. He's not quite the prospect people are making him out to be IMO. He's good but this class of RB is beyond weak. I'd bet that the draft will reflect that and he will slide. Who was the last RB drafted in the top 3?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Do which draft website did you copy this from ?
Share 49ersWebzone